Bryz gets an offer ... in Vladivostok!

brelic

It's more Seravalli's entire tone during the whole article. Purported to be a "news" story about a former Flyer goaltender, it is rife with his personal innuendo and exhibits a triumphalism which is at best unbecoming of a "journalist."

Mind you, he would never aim the same fire at the guy(s) who signed Bryz as essential to the future of the organization.

But I'll wager he will happily join in on attacking and sabotaging any other player he doesn't like.

Who's next?

(To be clear, in the shoutbox I asked if Tommy Walker was the GM in Vladivostok - the deaf, dumb and blind kid from Tommy)

Dude, this is the same town that still obsessed over McNabb and what a "horrible" guy he was here. It's astounding just how much some of the radio show hosts talk about him.

@flyercanuck Even if he was not dealt, there is no way he could have played out that contract. The fans are to vicious, to vocal...his family would have to go into hiding, along with him. After a few years, season ticket holders would have walked away in force. They would have inevitably forced Ed's hand.

@flyercanuck Even if he was not dealt, there is no way he could have played out that contract. The fans are to vicious, to vocal...his family would have to go into hiding, along with him. After a few years, season ticket holders would have walked away in force. They would have inevitably forced Ed's hand.

Why haven't we not forced his hand on his own ass out the office?

@ It's one thing to be a optomistic owner who wants what is best for the team, it's quite another to be a crazy assed Russian who is a flat out cancer, ducking pucks, letting in soft goals etc ...he is a black mark in Flyer history. At least Ed cares about the team itself, Bryz cares about Bryz. I swear, I just know Flyer fans would have driven him out of town, he would have never survived the **** storm that was coming his way. He would not have been able to handle the stress, he would have cracked, or some whacko would have put a hit out on him....either way, it would not have ended pretty for the selfish Ruskie.

@ It's one thing to be a optomistic owner who wants what is best for the team, it's quite another to be a crazy assed Russian who is a flat out cancer, ducking pucks, letting in soft goals etc ...he is a black mark in Flyer history. At least Ed cares about the team itself, Bryz cares about Bryz. I swear, I just know Flyer fans would have driven him out of town, he would have never survived the **** storm that was coming his way. He would not have been able to handle the stress, he would have cracked, or some whacko would have put a hit out on him....either way, it would not have ended pretty for the selfish Ruskie.

Or, Laviolette would have been fired, a defensive-minded coach brought in, and Bryz would have played like he did in Phoenix ;)

In a way, I'm glad that didn't happen before we got rid of him. Even if he started playing decent, I cannot stand him. I'm sure this experience (and being snubbed by the Olympic team) will humble him.

• Like 2

Any Flyer fan knows why they had to buy out Bryz this year.

And why Laviolette will be gone if they don't get to at least the Finals.

Even year - coach.

Odd year - goalie.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

I'm sure they'll get it right this time.

The Bryz part of this story aside. What struck me was the part about Mogilny with a team on Russia's east coast. Mogilny had a debilitating fear of air travel. And that was on North American planes. I think I remember reading how he would travel by bus to other cities and how he considered quitting playing because he hated flying so much. Now he'll be traveling by plane more than any other team and doing it on a Russian aircraft? Yikes!

He must have consulted a hypnotist or something.

"It was a huge adjustment to come to the NHL. The language barrier was the toughest part. Lack of communication affected me both on and off the ice. It also took some time to get used to the airline travel. I had to deal with a fear of flying."

Either biding his time or checking his options, Bryz has opted to train overseas with Eric Granqvist, the goaltending coach for Färjestad of the Swedish Hockey League in ... well,Sweden. He’ll train with the team this week.

Granqvist told Aftonbladet that he and Bryzgalov spoke over Skype after being approached by agent Ritch Winter.

Said Granqvist:

“Bryz is basically a fantastic goalkeeper who now want to focus on hockey and do whatever it takes to find to their game again."

not sure if that was interpreted right......... ?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/ilya-bryzgalov-fantastic-goalie-training-sweden-152330342.html

The Bryz part of this story aside. What struck me was the part about Mogilny with a team on Russia's east coast. Mogilny had a debilitating fear of air travel. And that was on North American planes. I think I remember reading how he would travel by bus to other cities and how he considered quitting playing because he hated flying so much. Now he'll be traveling by plane more than any other team and doing it on a Russian aircraft? Yikes!

He must have consulted a hypnotist or something.

"It was a huge adjustment to come to the NHL. The language barrier was the toughest part. Lack of communication affected me both on and off the ice. It also took some time to get used to the airline travel. I had to deal with a fear of flying."

There's also the Trans-Siberian Railroad (Vladivostok is the Eastern Terminus). If he wants to travel with the team all the time, not really an option, but if he wanted to plan to be in certain areas for longer periods, it's an option.