NHL Team Values - 2013

Guest hf101

Am I reading right that of the 30 NHL teams, only 11 are operating at a loss? A loss of about $132M?

With the top two teams in the league bringing in an operating surplus of over $150M and the top 10 with a surplus of over $300M combined?

Edmonton - tacitly threatening to leave despite sellout crowds - has an operating surplus of $16.2M.

Better shut this league down. It's out of control. No way it can continue to operate like that. Blame the union.

Of course they will never let Edmonton move to Seattle.

That's what expansion's for.

Am I reading right that of the 30 NHL teams, only 11 are operating at a loss? A loss of about $132M?

With the top two teams in the league bringing in an operating surplus of over $150M and the top 10 with a surplus of over $300M combined?

Edmonton - tacitly threatening to leave despite sellout crowds - has an operating surplus of $16.2M.

Better shut this league down. It's out of control. No way it can continue to operate like that. Blame the union.

Of course they will never let Edmonton move to Seattle.

That's what expansion's for.

And it's about to get bigger in the next few years.

• The land the arena is being built upon was owned by, yup, Oilers owner Daryl Katz. The city will buy that from him, naturally.
  • The construction company the city is paying to build the arena is owned by Daryl Katz.
  • The firm hired by the city to design the arena? What? Daryl Katz owns that?
  • Who gets the money from naming rights, concessions, parking and non-hockey events? Daryl Katz.
  • The city will own the arena, and will have to pay for 100% of the maintenance on the building. All savings for Katz.

The arena will be built, it will be damn near 100% taxpayer funded, and Katz will receive most, if not all, of the profits... This is what has happened in virtually every community where this sort of thing comes up. As an Oilers fan, the last thing I'm worried about is the team to moving to Seattle, that's for sure. The last thing the BoG would approve is moving a revenue rich team to an unsure market. This has all just been part of tightening the screws in Edmonton.

JR

And it's about to get bigger in the next few years.

• The land the arena is being built upon was owned by, yup, Oilers owner Daryl Katz. The city will buy that from him, naturally.
  • The construction company the city is paying to build the arena is owned by Daryl Katz.
  • The firm hired by the city to design the arena? What? Daryl Katz owns that?
  • Who gets the money from naming rights, concessions, parking and non-hockey events? Daryl Katz.
  • The city will own the arena, and will have to pay for 100% of the maintenance on the building. All savings for Katz.

The arena will be built, it will be damn near 100% taxpayer funded, and Katz will receive most, if not all, of the profits... This is what has happened in virtually every community where this sort of thing comes up. As an Oilers fan, the last thing I'm worried about is the team to moving to Seattle, that's for sure. The last thing the BoG would approve is moving a revenue rich team to an unsure market. This has all just been part of tightening the screws in Edmonton.

JR

Honestly? I see the Browns precedent in the NFL as coming into play in these situations. I agree that Katz was essentially blackmailing the city, but at the same time there was no way the NHL was going without a team in Edmonton and - as far as I am concerned - there is no way Canada would allow the legacy of Wayne Gretzky to be moved to Seattle. So, even if Katz ripped the roster away, I never saw "The Oilers" leaving.

The fact that the City backed down as much as they have - as many American cities have - is disgusting. One of many things to admire in Ed Snider is that the Spectrum was built privately and the current building was built privately (city donated land and site prep). He just removed the Spectrum privately and built Xfinity Live privately.

The Philly Sports Complex (baseball/basketball/hockey/football all across the street from each other) could arguably make the list as best sports complex in the world, too.

We are pretty darn awesome, after all :)

Honestly? I see the Browns precedent in the NFL as coming into play in these situations. I agree that Katz was essentially blackmailing the city, but at the same time there was no way the NHL was going without a team in Edmonton and - as far as I am concerned - there is no way Canada would allow the legacy of Wayne Gretzky to be moved to Seattle. So, even if Katz ripped the roster away, I never saw "The Oilers" leaving.

The fact that the City backed down as much as they have - as many American cities have - is disgusting. One of many things to admire in Ed Snider is that the Spectrum was built privately and the current building was built privately (city donated land and site prep). He just removed the Spectrum privately and built Xfinity Live privately.

Yeah, Katz has no interest in moving the team. He has a great thing going, and he's not going to screw it up by moving the team where he can't get fans misty-eyed with old photos of Wayne Gretzky holding Cups and Mark Messier back when he still had hair. Besides, like you said, the NHL would never consider it anyway. People in Canada (sometimes fairly) bitch endlessly about Gary Bettman, but he did everything he could to keep the Oilers in Edmonton back when the Canadian dollar was so low, and Peter Pocklington was trying to sell the team to Les Alexander down in Houston.

The Philly Sports Complex (baseball/basketball/hockey/football all across the street from each other) could arguably make the list as best sports complex in the world, too.

We are pretty darn awesome, after all :)

That's the way it should be done. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think it's right for a man to pay for what it his.

JR

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting blog from Travis Yost stating that the NHL has placed the Senators under observation. The Forbes chart really doesn't state that there are financial troubles for the organization.

"Leading into and after the lockout, they [the league] internally agreed to put the Ottawa Senators under careful observation -- like a watch-list. The league watches all teams, but I guess there's a heightened sense of it with these specifically. The league would refer to the 'fires' that they needed to put out. Among them was Ottawa, although the priorities have really been Phoenix and New Jersey for a length of time."

Anyone have any more insite?