Help a beginner to Ice Hockey!

LuckyTony

@LuckyTony Hello!

A big topic, at least with the people I talk hockey with, involves the new realignment. There are now 4 Divisions (two in the Eastern Conference and Two in the Western Conference) and a new setup to make the playoffs.

The top three teams in each division are guaranteed a playoff spot (before there was three divisions in each Conference and only the top team in each division was guaranteed to make the playoffs.)

The remaining teams in each division fight for two "wildcard" spots, which goes to the teams that finish with the most points regardless of division. This means one division could have three playoff teams (top three make playoffs in each division) and the other division could have five teams in the playoffs.

The wildcard team with the fewest points (so the 8th playoff team) faces against the team with the most points regardless of division. So much like before 1vs8 2vs7, then the team that finishes second in their division will face the team that finished third in their own division.

(Hope that helps)

Edited by Eastcoastcane

Hello @LuckyTony

I think @Eastcoastcane lifts up one of the major topics for this year.

@jammer2 Showed you the parade route, so I would consider making travel arrangements now if you actually want to see the Cup paraded in hockey's birthplace. @goalnut3133 always laughs at the Leafs because they used to be horrible but are now a powerhouse. It's also the reason he's laughing at @brelic, because George Kuato is the Maple Leaf's captains. (@goalnut3133, I'm telling you AGAIN, they are sure fire to win this year).

I disagree with @Eastcoastcane that realignment is the "biggest" topic, though. I think we'll find out that moving the goals to the sides of the rink in the neutral zone will have bigger consequences than initially thought. I agree that it will cut down a bit on the neutral zone trap, but I think it will likely clog up the slot a bit more. I also think the angles that the goalie will have to face will be dramatically different and we'll see quite a number of fluky goals at the start of the season.

Not as important to the game itself but quite important to the spectator are the introduction of cheerleaders. I'm actually looking forward to it because they'll largely be on a platform lowered from the ceiling kind of at the same height, or a little lower, as the center ice score board. It should make for pretty good upskirt shots, but I guess there's not really anywhere else to put them. You have them in the stands and they start to block the view. So, I'm kind of looking forward to that part.

Seriously, though, make sure if you want to see the most lively Cup parade ever that you make your travel arrangements to Toronto now before it's not possible.

And I'm telling you that even so, it's gonna be a damn close one, they're pretty much gonna have to PRY the Cup outta our hands!!

Well, if anything, I think it will be the Calgary Flames most likely to stand in their way. I mean, I know they've been the popular bet for the last several years, but I think they're actually ready to take that last step. I would not be at all surprised to see a Calgary/Toronto final.

I know what you're thinking "Not another all-Canada final, we've had way too much of them!" but I'm afraid it's looking a lot like that. I still think it's safe for lucky to plan the trip to Toronto for the parade, though.

@ruxpin I never thought I'd see the long pants again, odd timing, bringing them back, huh? I'm a tad concerned with the new nylon cups coming out, how are they gonna protect the family jewels?

Well, Crosby will be okay because the back of Bettman's head will take the blow (that works on at LEAST two levels!) and Ovechkin doesn't have any. So at least the games two biggest (in terms of points, not in terms of current discussion) stars should be okay.

But in general, yeah, I don't understand the switch to nylon. Especially at a time when there's so much talk about eliminating head shots.

I hadn't heard that. Are you talking about Cooperalls?

Yeah, every 20 years or so, they make a comeback. They closely follow the bell bottom Levi craze, just a few short fashion months have separated them in the past, I see no reason to think differently this time around.

I don't like Cooperalls. Hockey players should look like hockey players.

They're especially bad for little kids learning how to skate. When the kid falls, he has a hard time getting back up because those damn pants are slippery.

Probably only last a couple years like last time. No big. Jammer, have you heard any update on the NHL-PA grievance? I guess some players don't like the changes. I think they just have to put on their big boy pants and quit their whining.