Rating the Best Scouting Directors in the NHL

Guest cournoyer12

Habs fan here, And one of the Many that has mixed feeling about our own scouting director..Trevor Timmins..A Few Hits, and several Misses in his 12 years with Montreal..i.e Passing up Getzlaf, Perry, Parise etc for Kos****ny...

Drafting David Fischer (yep) when Claude Giroux was still there....Having to Sign a player like Parros via free agency, which means in all Timmins years of drafts, he hasnt been able to Find a Fourth line Enforcer....Anyways, who ARE the Best. Who would You rate say, Top 5 in the League??

Detroits....Chicagos......Pittsburghs.......New Jerseys.....Edmontons.......What teams have the best Scouting Directors to you.

@cournoyer12

I really wouldn't worry about whether or not a team is signing a older vet to be the fourth line enforcer. Most of these guys don't play much more than half of the games. For the number of wasted picks Holmgren has spent on enforcers we still have traded or signed via FA players like Shelly and and Rosehill. Be thankful it is a 1 year deal.

As far as which teams have the best Scouting Directors, I'd have to choose teams like Detroit, Boston, New Jersey, San Jose, who manage to participate in the playoffs most years without having regular high draft picks. I'll give honorable mention to Philly for a steady supply of quality "Centers" :P

Guess this little hockey news blurb belongs here, Kieth Gretzky, promoted to amateur scouting director of the Bruins. Don't know enough about Kieth's scouting to comment, but it seems a tad risky to me. Also, P.J Axelsson promoted to chief European scout.

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/08/20/bruins-promote-ex-spit-keith-gretzky/

@cournoyer12 After you posed your question, I began to ponder the whole scenario. I came up with the fact I know 95% of the players, all the GM's but absolutely none of the Scouting Directors around the league. Well, to be fair I know the Flyers and Boston (cause I just posted it...lol). For somebody all that jacked up for each and every draft, that is a pretty big oversight. I conclude that I need to study this more, before I can intelligently comment....so, I'll get back to you on that.