Top 20 even strength goal scorers the past 2 seasons.

jammer2

Todd Correl did some digging and found some interesting results. Some of the names in this group really surprised me. A LOT of Pens here, which is a nice tribute to their respectable all round play. I never would have thought Phil Kessel would have been in the top 3....one wonders where he would be at if he had a legit #1 center feeding him the puck, huh?

http://www.hockeybuz...47#.UhVOw3_d4ud

hYSJ0Uz.png

The fact Nash is on this list does not surprise me, but it does drive home the fact that the Rangers power play is putrid. Very impressive to see youngsters such as Evander Kane, Jordan Eberle and Tyler Seguin on this list. If I was sneaking around looking for well known fantasy sleepers, I'd look towards those 3, cause each players respective teams should be better on the power play in the coming season. Since we already know they score in bunchs at even strength, it is logical to conclude that these kids should make big jumps should their power plays suddenly become productive.

@hf101 Oh, no doubt Stammer is the king of the hill right now. Crosby gets a pass from me cause his two linemates (well, most of the time anyways) Dupuis and Kunitz made the list...so something good is happening there, even if Sid did not finish. Speaking of which, this is probably not the first time Sid has been accused of not finishing....ha ha!

I am quite surprised that Ovie (though I don't like him) & St Louis are that low on the totem pole (though I guess Ovie's getting on), not to mention Malkin--thought he'd have more goals for sure too. That is quite the disparity with Stamkos..... & Toews can't even touch him!

Interesting to note how little Toews played 5 on 5 but *still* managed to lock up 2nd place. It's stats like that where you see the real value of Toews. The guy is simply better than most players in almost every aspect. Just stunning consistency.

I didn't realize Toews didn't play much 5 on 5...as I said in yave's Chicago thread, I've gained a lot of respect for their team & esp. guys like him, Sharp, Seabrook...good guys & classy too. Maybe it's just me but they seemed such a different team in the playoffs than say when we played against them even a yr or 2 ago...

Well, Towes is one of the only stars in the NHL that is on the top power play unit AND the top penalty killing units. A guy can only play so much, so the only way to keep Towes fresh is to sit him for the odd shift 5 on 5...especially when there is a parade to the penalty box etc.

• Like 1

Pretty hard to believe when you think that everyone on the ice is going to be looking for Stamkos on defense. Just shows how great a goal scorer he is.

Crosby shouldn't even be mentioned in the thread, all his time off the ice with injuries it makes his sampling to small to even justify goals/game comparisons. Actually, to use these kinds of stats based on one and a half seasons basically is really silly. Might as well just say he was the best last year or something.

Surprising stat on Teows at first, but then when you realize what all he does, he's gotta rest sometime.

Edited by nossagog

@nossagog  The more I watch Stammer, the more I realize how truly gifted he is. He has Mike Bossy type stealth. He gets into a soft spot of the defense, sometimes only for a 0.5 second window, St.Louis finds him and WHAM in the net. With the type of chemistry those guys have, it's almost impossible to defend....and now with Druion being a Bolt, it will make Stamoks that much more effective.

Stamkos is one hell of a goalscorer, but things definitely tighten up on a G/60 look:

1. Stamkos, 1.540

2. Toews, 1.531

3. Malkin, 1.320

4. Pacioretty, 1.252

(Crosby, 1.213)

5. Vrbata, 1.204

6. Neal, 1.198

7. Nash, 1.189

8. Eberle, 1.183

9. Lupul, 1.183

10. Grabner, 1.179

For the hell of it, I placed Crosby in there. He is, overall, preposterously better than everybody else at producing points:

ES Points/60, last two years

Crosby, 4.35

Malkin, 2.98

Toews, 2.87

Lupul, 2.73

Dupuis, 2.71

Eberle, 2.67

Stamkos, 2.60

Hall, 2.52

Pacioretty, 2.50

Whitney, 2.50

JR

Edited by JR Ewing

@Polaris922

I don't think you'll get much of an arguement from any sane person that Crosby is elite, whether it's player or goal scorer. But health also matters obviously. If you can't play, you aren't helping your team. Pronger, as elite as he was is doing the Flyers absolutely no good whatsoever as a player these days..

@Polaris922

I don't think you'll get much of an arguement from any sane person that Crosby is elite, whether it's player or goal scorer. But health also matters obviously. If you can't play, you aren't helping your team. Pronger, as elite as he was is doing the Flyers absolutely no good whatsoever as a player these days..

Not arguing the health factor at all. Just feel its a mistake to say Crosby mostly scores on the power play when there's not enough of a sampling to even guess at it.

@Polaris922

If Crosby was healthy I'm sure he'd be one of the top even strength scorers. The fact that he's NOT been takes away from that.

I think the Flyers could have won the cup the year Tampa won, had their D been healthy. Instead we had Sami Kapanen playing on the blueline. We also could have won if Tim Kerr, our top scorer, would have been healthy against the Oliers back in the 80s. But they weren't healthy, and we didn't win.

If Crosby can play most of his games this year, he'll prove he's right up there with the best of them. He proved it while healthy last season. But you don't get points for not playing. And I don't think he's saying he gets all his points on the pp. He just missed games so didn't put up the totals the others did. He only scored 15 last year, and 8 the year before...total! So he doesn't belong on this list.

• Like 1

@Polaris922

If Crosby was healthy I'm sure he'd be one of the top even strength scorers. The fact that he's NOT been takes away from that.

I think the Flyers could have won the cup the year Tampa won, had their D been healthy. Instead we had Sami Kapanen playing on the blueline. We also could have won if Tim Kerr, our top scorer, would have been healthy against the Oliers back in the 80s. But they weren't healthy, and we didn't win.

If Crosby can play most of his games this year, he'll prove he's right up there with the best of them. He proved it while healthy last season. But you don't get points for not playing. And I don't think he's saying he gets all his points on the pp. He just missed games so didn't put up the totals the others did. He only scored 15 last year, and 8 the year before...total! So he doesn't belong on this list.

I'm in no way saying he does belong on that list.  He said "Crosby scores his goals on the PP".  And I think he did it to spark the conversation from us Pens fans.   LOL Either way, the comment is erroneous.  That was all I was saying.  The reason he is not on that list is his injuries.  I was NOT saying he belongs on a list the stats clearly define.  As you said, if he were healthy, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.  

Edited by Polaris922