Jersey Snore

yave1964

My take on the 2013-14 New Jersey Devils

Okay, Lou is a great GM. Jacques Lemaire may still be hiding in the bushes ready to jump back behind the bench and work out another miracle before retiring again. Never underestimate this organization, but wow what a crazy offseason.

First, the Devils traded the ninth pick in the draft for Cory Schneider to acquire the replacement for first ballot hall of famer Marty Brodeur. then the top free agent in this class according to many David Clarkson was a Devil, just like last season (Parise). Clarkson took his tough rugged play to Toronto. Then, the biggest hit of them all Ilya Kovalchuk 'retired' to return to mother Russia and continue playing in the KHL.

To replace Kovy and Clarkson the Devils brought in Michael Ryder, Jarimir Jagr and Ryan Clowe, three capable top nine forwards, (Even if all three are on my short list of players I cannot stand and would never want on a team I like) but the three of them combined are not going to put up the numbers or grind out the tough minutes that Kovy did, or Clarksons grit and determination. Kovy played nearly THREE MINUTES A GAME more than the next closest forward in the entire NHL, Clarkson did all of the dirty work and earned his supper. The new three are all the type to mail it in on occasion.

So forward lines now include the exciting Adam Henrique who will be under pressure to take this team and make it his own, Clowe, Ryder, Jagr, the ageless Patrick Elias who led the team in scoring and the eroding Travis Zajac (7 goals in 48 games) as the top six, young kids Stefan Matteau and Jacob Josefson have some talent and are being counted on to step into more prominent roles perhaps paired with the talented Zubrus, while fourth line Steve Bernier, Ryan Carter and Stephen Gionta is one of the best fourth lines in the game.

Defensively Zidlicky was retained, aging and slowing he still has the best slapper at this point of anyone on the blue line. Tallinder was sent packing, Adam Larsson is being counted on to step up as a top pair big minute guy and I believe he can do it, big young and fast Alexander Urbom and Eric Gelinas will be blended into the veteran and uninspiring bunch. Between Larsson, Urbom and Gelinas there is hope here for the future anyway.

Cory Schneider is stepping in to take over the primary net minder role while Marty Brodeur takes a lesser role and continues to pad his statistics as one of the greatest goalies of all time.

So to summarize

Forwards: average and uninspiring, bottom six know their roles and perform them well.

Defense: boring veterans mixed with promising kids who need to cut their teeth in the NHL this year mistakes and all

Goaltending: Very capable, Schneider in put up or shut up position should respond to challenge.

Coach: Pete Deboar seems to know his way around a chalkboard, but will likely be on the Vegas list of first coach fired.

I don't see it. The wrong guys left, replaced by the wrong guys. A few promising kids aren't enough to overcome the losses. Out of the playoffs, competing for last place.

So really, by your estimation, Cory is playing for a team not much better off than where he came from...poor Cory, but at least he'll get to start...I had heard earlier that there would be a 'duke-out' for starter G position & that Marty was not going to go quietly & not for as long as he could help it! That after enjoying being starter & STAR for 'Nucks, Cory would be put right back to square one...a back-up fighting for 1st position (AGAIN!). But glad to know if this isn't the case!  :)