'Nucks resign Tanev and Alberts

yave1964

The Vancouver Canucks wrapped up setting up their defense for 2013-14 by resigning stay at home Chris Tanev after playing hard line contractually (rumor was he was considering Europe as an option) and bringing back unspectacular Andrew Alberts.

The defense is led by Alex Edler, a puck mover who has a solid shot from the point and Dan Hamhuis who has a crisp first shot. Hopes are high that Jason Garrison will earn his supper in a full season, if so the blue line will be a strength this season. Kenvin Bieksa can stil play and does a solid job rounding out the top four. Tanev and a combination of newcomer Yanick Weber and Alberts make up a steady if unspectacular final grouping. Resigning Tanev and Alberts are the quiet unnoticed moves that teams make that can make or beak a season. Good job by the Nucks, I didn't feel that Tanev would leave but Alberts coming back to give young talented Frank Corrado a chance to develop at his own pace was a good move as well.

I didn't feel that Tanev would leave but Alberts coming back to give young talented Frank Corrado a chance to develop at his own pace was a good move as well.

Yah, I'm glad Tanev was kept, we figured that but I had no idea why they would bother to re-sign Alberts (did he even play last season? lol), but now that you've put it that way, I guess it makes sense & possibly a smart move.  I honestly have really mixed feelings about what's gonna happen to the 'Nucks this year...it could be the disintegration of the 'empire' that never was. The Sedins are aging, even if they do stay on at end of contract, Kes I can't see ever having the greatness he once did, David Booth has to be one of my biggest disappointments, his never amounting to all the hype...all this & not even touching yet the Luongo drama with the next chapters yet to unfold. It feels like a team that I have to watch peeking through both hands covering my eyes.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...