Kovalchuck should resume same contract

Guest rickmac19

So Kovalchucklehead tweets that he still wants to win a Stanley Cup, helping Devils fans wipe that crocodile tear from their faces. 

Devils fans should dance in the streets that he bolted. The Devils dodged a bullet! I haven't seen any player yet who has lived up to a long-term deal, playing worth what he's paid in every year of the deal, so, 

You can't tell me that 17 red would not have had a bad wheel or bruised melon by the middle of that deal, and that the Evils would not still have to shell out wheelbarrows of that very scarce resource to him no matter what. 

They could potentially pay him $1 million per goal!

So now, let's say he wants to return. 

The other 29 should vote, "Same deal." We'll reinstate him, but he has to run on the same contract. (We'll even spot him the years he played in the K, just to show how nice and understanding we are.)

I think the NHL wants to strongly discourage a revolving door between it and the AHL far-eastern division. Start here. 

@rickmac19

As far as I know Kovalchuk is a FA when he turns 35 and can sign a deal with any team and the Devils have $250K to pay till 2025.  Also I moved the thread to "Around the NHL" since this is not a Flyers topic.

@doom88

I believe the Devils will lose their 1st round pick this year.... when they will finish the season as a bottom 5 team.  :P

Nah, they have two brodeur's and a schneider

250k per year is a lot cheaper than the nearly 80 million they'd have to pay otherwise.

If anything a "return to contract" where Kovie comes back into the league and resumes where his former contract would currently be at.

or when someone retires they are forced to stay retired.

Edited by NarrowRoadHeros