Hockey Canada "extremely disappointed" over Giroux's absence

brelic

Oh please. Extremely disappointed?

It must be August in Canada. We so desperately want real hockey that now HC bothers to issue such a statement when they won't even pony up the insurance for these guys to be on the ice??

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/hockey-canada-disappointed-giroux-missed-camp

Prominent members of Hockey Canada are "extremely disappointed" that Flyers captain Claude Giroux is missing this week's Olympic orientation camp, according to TSN's Bob McKenzie (via ProHockeyTalk).

Giroux, you might recall, injured his right hand earlier this month while playing golf. He had surgery to repair his right index finger, and is expected to miss 5-6 weeks while recovering.

And so, instead of partaking in Hockey Canada's camp in Calgary, which kicked off Sunday, Giroux is in Philadelphia rehabbing the injury. His timeline places his estimated full recovery sometime around the end of Flyers training camp, which begins Sept. 12.

Giroux is believed to be a favorite -- if not a lock -- to make Canada's Olympic team for next year's games in Sochi, Russia. That, according to McKenzie, is a big reason management and coaching staff members aren't happy about his absence.

Sometimes, the responsibility to rehab an injury in support of the team of which you are the captain and being paid handsomely outweighs "team building exercises" for a group that won't even insure you.

Could not agree more!  Glad G stayed away away from a weekend of drinking and "ball" hockey

I'll go ahead and assume that Giroux is also "extremely disappointed" to not be at camp.

Sometimes, the responsibility to rehab an injury in support of the team of which you are the captain and being paid handsomely outweighs "team building exercises" for a group that won't even insure you.

Maybe if Hockey Canada was paying his salary instead of the Philadelphia Flyers then they can bitch about him not showing up for these team building exercises, it's not like he'd be able to participate in the ball hockey exercise yesterday. If I'm not mistaken Joe Thornton wasn't there either.

Thornton was also absent but as a new parent, I completely understand since his kid is in the hospital

I "completely understand" about both of them. Giroux isn't taking an extra long vacation in Bannf or something and just decided to blow it off.

Meltzer writes that there is speculation Giroux was under duress by the Flyers to not attend.

Even if true, it would be completely fair for the Flyers to want to hold him back. They're the ones paying his $66M salary, not Hockey Canada.

• Like 1

Oh please. Extremely disappointed?It must be August in Canada. We so desperately want real hockey that now HC bothers to issue such a statement when they won't even pony up the insurance for these guys to be on the ice??http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/hockey-canada-disappointed-giroux-missed-campProminent members of Hockey Canada are "extremely disappointed" that Flyers captain Claude Giroux is missing this week's Olympic orientation camp, according to TSN's Bob McKenzie (via ProHockeyTalk).Giroux, you might recall, injured his right hand earlier this month while playing golf. He had surgery to repair his right index finger, and is expected to miss 5-6 weeks while recovering.And so, instead of partaking in Hockey Canada's camp in Calgary, which kicked off Sunday, Giroux is in Philadelphia rehabbing the injury. His timeline places his estimated full recovery sometime around the end of Flyers training camp, which begins Sept. 12.Giroux is believed to be a favorite -- if not a lock -- to make Canada's Olympic team for next year's games in Sochi, Russia. That, according to McKenzie, is a big reason management and coaching staff members aren't happy about his absence.

Tell them to drink a tall glass of shut the **** up!!!!!

• Like 1

I don't get why there is a press release for these types of things do fans really support HC more than they do the players that this would be relevant to know?

Was there a big enough of a public presence to pressure HC into answering the question "Where is Giroux?" or "How do you feel about Giroux not skating with you guys?"

I don't get why there is a press release for these types of things do fans really support HC more than they do the players that this would be relevant to know?

Was there a big enough of a public presence to pressure HC into answering the question "Where is Giroux?" or "How do you feel about Giroux not skating with you guys?"

Good question. I'm not sure why HC felt the need to express any sort of comment regarding Giroux's absence. It's just the Olympics. Yes, that's right, I said it. Giroux's employer - the people who have given him financial freedom for his family and a few future generations of Girouxs - is more important than the Olympics.

Giroux no longer lives in Canada. He can't vote in Canada. He doesn't pay taxes here. His kids won't go to school here. So HC needs to chill out.

I understand it is an honour and a privilege for many players to don the jersey of their home nations, but to publicly admonish him for not showing up at a dry land bonding sesh in Calgary in August????

I don't get it.

• Like 2

It's a way to turn the doldrums of August into the drama of August.  It does -- and has, thus this thread and many like it on the interwebs -- spur talk.

• Like 2

Good question. I'm not sure why HC felt the need to express any sort of comment regarding Giroux's absence. It's just the Olympics. Yes, that's right, I said it. Giroux's employer - the people who have given him financial freedom for his family and a few future generations of Girouxs - is more important than the Olympics.

Giroux no longer lives in Canada. He can't vote in Canada. He doesn't pay taxes here. His kids won't go to school here. So HC needs to chill out.

I understand it is an honour and a privilege for many players to don the jersey of their home nations, but to publicly admonish him for not showing up at a dry land bonding sesh in Calgary in August????

I don't get it.

Well, the Olympics for team sports haven't been that big of a deal since the USSR collapse. They are in Russia in upcoming winter games but I still don't see much incentive for KHL and NHL players making more than 10 million over the course of the next 3 years to actually put their heart into these games, its nothing more than extra ice time that interferes with Post-Season action.

It's a way to turn the doldrums of August into the drama of August.  It does -- and has, thus this thread and many like it on the interwebs -- spur talk.

That makes quite a bit of sense actually, they should just start a summer ball hockey league then.

• Like 1

Well, the Olympics for team sports haven't been that big of a deal since the USSR collapse. They are in Russia in upcoming winter games but I still don't see much incentive for KHL and NHL players making more than 10 million over the course of the next 3 years to actually put their heart into these games, its nothing more than extra ice time that interferes with Post-Season action.

I agree NRH...   I know a lot of people love having the NHL players in the Olympics but I can't take it and I hope this is the last.   I much rather see the "amatuers" battle in the Olympics.   If a club is paying you I think it is only fair that a club does not have to worry about extra games being a liability to a player. 

I get the whole "playing for your country" thing but just wish the NHL would keep the players from the Olympics.  If Crosby, G, Tavares or any other player would get hurt it could ruin the teams NHL season.

• Like 2

Meltzer writes that there is speculation Giroux was under duress by the Flyers to not attend.

Even if true, it would be completely fair for the Flyers to want to hold him back. They're the ones paying his $66M salary, not Hockey Canada.

as a fan I want to hold him back.  I love hockey but my first team is the Flyers.  The Olympics are fun but I haven't spent my lifetime as a hockey fan dreaming of the day team USA wins the gold, I've been dreaming of the day I get to witness the Flyers hoist the cup (I was alive the last time they did it but just barely) so as far as I'm concerned, let all the Flyers stay home and rest / recover from injuries and be ready to go for the rest of the season.

• Like 4

I agree NRH...   I know a lot of people love having the NHL players in the Olympics but I can't take it and I hope this is the last.   I much rather see the "amatuers" battle in the Olympics.   If a club is paying you I think it is only fair that a club does not have to worry about extra games being a liability to a player. 

I get the whole "playing for your country" thing but just wish the NHL would keep the players from the Olympics.  If Crosby, G, Tavares or any other player would get hurt it could ruin the teams NHL season.

While I like the concept of the Amateurs in the Olympics, its something that is impossible to enforce world wide. Many nations would still provide the free living that most American(among other countries) Amateurs can't have. That is the whole reason the AAU was disbanded as a governing body in the first place to create a level playing field among athletes that qualify for the Games. That along with all the best players going pro and completely avoiding the games.

The Olympics need something better defined for hockey. The OG just lost their allure after the miracle on ice.

As I recall, the Flyers club team was better than the Russian team in the 70s anyways. I'd rather see a club world cup than the OG.

I don't get it.

He can't vote in Canada? Just cause you live in another Country doesn't mean you can't vote. I lived in the States and could still vote in Canada. Quite sure he also has a place in Canada to. Which would mean he is still paying some sort of tax. Little confused of your point.

He can't vote in Canada? Just cause you live in another Country doesn't mean you can't vote. I lived in the States and could still vote in Canada. Quite sure he also has a place in Canada to. Which would mean he is still paying some sort of tax. Little confused of your point.

He would probably qualify to vote, but the regulations are a pain. If I had to guess, I would say that there's a 99% chance Giroux hasn't voted in a Canadian election since being with the Flyers organization.

He doesn't work and live in Canada, so really, he's not paying taxes here. He might pay taxes on a secondary residence in the country during the offseason.

My point was simply that he lives and works abroad. He has been for the past 5-6 years, and will for the forseeable future. If his priority is with his employer over HC, that makes total sense to me. I just didn't understand why HC would feel the need to make a public statement on it.

What is the purpose? Public shaming? I don't get it.

I "completely understand" about both of them. Giroux isn't taking an extra long vacation in Bannf or something and just decided to blow it off.

Well if he was in Banff I'd expect him to drive the hour and a half to Calgary.. I really don't see an issue when the guy is rehabbing an injury. Sounds more like lack of hockey in Canada.

Well if he was in Banff I'd expect him to drive the hour and a half to Calgary.. I really don't see an issue when the guy is rehabbing an injury. Sounds more like lack of hockey in Canada.

The proximity of Bannf was part of the point - it's not like he's kicking his heels up in a position where he could obviously be trying to avoid blowing out a knee playing ball hockey for free.

Canada always has their national sport to fall back on.

You know: lacrosse.

:ph34r:

This whole mess makes me mad. Like many others, I've been waiting my whole life for the Flyers to win a Cup (well, since I was 9 and I'm now 47). Anything that takes away from that should be frowned upon. Team Canada, yeah, Gold is a big deal up here, but if I had to put numerical value on it, I'd put Gold for Team Canada at a 7 and the Flyers winning the Cup at a 10.

Perhaps the Flyers should just ban players from Team Canada involvement. After all, they pay no insurance during the summer meetings. Maybe the Flyers don't like the "disappointing' feeling emanating from the Team Canada Camp. *All* future Flyers being blocked from future involvement, including Mr.Morin among others, that would be a big loss, cause the Flyers regularly draft a kid from Canada with a high pick....and who knows, maybe other teams want to protect their investments and make a similar judgement...in other words...time to tone down the crap when you're playing with other peoples money. 

• Like 2

The proximity of Bannf was part of the point - it's not like he's kicking his heels up in a position where he could obviously be trying to avoid blowing out a knee playing ball hockey for free.

Canada always has their national sport to fall back on.

You know: lacrosse.

:ph34r:

Many good lacrosse players come down from Canada to play in the US, eh... Great sport too eh..

Hockey is a touch more physical than basketball. It's probably very expensive to insure millions of dollars in an environment that will near certainly require some level of payout. Hopefully just a tooth, but imagine having the risk of paying for a Crosby career ending injury.