Hockey Time Machine

Guest yave1964

If You could build a time machine and go back in time and watch one hockey game throughout history what game would it be?

Some obvious choices are:

Game 8 of the 1972 Summit series

The Miracle in ice game 1980

Whatever game your favorite team first won a Stanley Cup in your lifetime

For me, the choice is kind f quirky, I would go back to March 8th 1975 at the old Olympia stadium in Detroit, at the age of ten my Grandfather took me to my first ever hockey game, the Wings, decrepit and just plain bad beat the Kansas City Scouts by a score of 5-1. Danny Grant, my first hockey hero scored two goals on his way to becoming the first Wing ever with 50 goals in a season. I still have the newspaper clippings and an article by Joe Falls talking about the game as well as my stub. I do not believe I would sell them for the world. I would love to watch that game as an adult now, and see it through my near fifty year old eyes and see if I feel like a kid again. Pure nostalgia from a meaningless game, meaningless and forgotten by probably everyone except me.

If I went for a game to go to, to remember my Wings of the modern era y it would have to be the famous March 26th 1997 game between the Wings and the hated Avalanche in which Darren McCarty beat the living hell out of Claude Freaking Lemieux in retaliation for Lemieux breaking Draper's jaw during the playoffs the year before. It seemed that everyone fought everyone, Roy and Shanny had a good one, then Vernon and Roy, it all started with Igor 'the professor' Larionov taking down Forsberg who ha six inches and forty pounds on him, the Wings came together as a team that night, proved they could beat you in the corners and on the ice, and went on to win three of the next six Stanley cups. That night the Wings won 6-5 in overtime on a Darren McCarty goal. This was an iconic game, I relive it on DVD at east once a year, it would have been a blast to be there with 20,000 of my best friends screaming and whooping it up.

So what say you? Time machine, hockey game, what game or games would you just have to see or relive again?

As a Canucker, it's a no-brainer, the '82 finals series vs the then-hated NY Islanders...I only saw it on TV, but wouldn't be able to imagine the kind of pandomonium in the arena...a sea of white towels & the Na-na-na song, cheers...deafening. And my then-hero (& still a sentimental favourite) King Richard Brodeur....I still remember the commentary of the day.."they've doused the Flames, de-throned the Kings, and plucked (?) the Hawks.."   Of course being there would be extremely bittersweet. We were nicknamed "the Cinderella team".

(And then awful enough, to be repeated vs Bruins 2011....ah, let's not go there. In '82 we were cheered & celebrated even after the heartbreaking loss, in '11 we were the laughing stock of the NHL.)

"Screw that, I'd go back to grade 10 and get Debbie Morrow around back in the bushes"

I'd like to play doctor with Ethel LaChapelle again.

But, back to hockey.  One of my favorite times was the Montreal-Islanders in 1993.  Islanders had no answer for the  line of Mike Keane, Kirk Muller and John LeClair.   I don't remember goals scored by that line, but they dominated.  Whole shifts would be played in the New York end.   

It's not that long ago, but I'd pick the Flyers/Sens game 'played' on 5 March 2004.

The best brawl I ever saw, never wanted it to end!  The fact that the refs could barely drop the puck and the benches at the end of the game was priceless!!!!