Bob in net for the Winter Classic!

Guest Flyers97

@Vincent05

I agree with you, he needs to keep his mouth shut and get his head in the game, unfortunately, I think when he started popping off at the mouth about tightening up the D and taking a man while he was playing like **** probably isn't/didn't help team chemistry. I agree with another poster, can't remember who, but they made the comment that the team was so happy and really excited to celebrate a win with Bob, they seem to like playing in front of the kid.

Ha! yah, well considering Bryz has lost 4 in a row (4 of his last 5?), the skaters haven't had much of a chance to celebrate a win with Bryzaglov in net. Stands to reason they're enjoying themselves when Bob plays - he wins games for them.

Bryzgalov on the other hand stares dumbly as Del Zotto's shot hits him in the chest, watches the puck drop 3 feet in front of him and doesn't fkn move. After a few seconds he sort of waves his stick at the puck in a disgusting, nonchalant way but by that time Callahan is all over it, roofs it over his head. Bryz may have been a victim earlier in the game (2 pretty wicked deflections) but there is no excuse for the way he handled that Del Zotto shot. I couldn't believe he got the start in TB the next game.

This Big FA signing is a total fail for the Flyers. Maybe I should add "so far" but how long do we wait before we call it what it is?

I know I keep harping on that Callahan goal (in a few threads) but that was the last straw for me. If you watch Episode 3 of the HBO thing, toward the end they have the "highlights" of that game. The camera clearly shows how out to lunch Bryzgalov really is.

Will he get better? Well it's hard to believe he could be much worse but I'm sick of waiting. Thank God Bob is in net tomorrow. We really need to win this game, make Lundqvist's life miserable all day. As Giroux said, "make the other team hate you."

Go Bob, Go Flyers!

@canoli

Yup, saw that goal you are talking about. I didn't need replay or another angle to see but knew right away he fukked it up big there. For tomorrow, isn't it refreshing for us to watch the game with enjoyment rather then hate or annoyed that the other team will score easily on our dud. Most likely for the players, they will play with confidence in knowing Bob will make the necessary save to bail them out instead of making them look bad.

lol, noted.

honestly, all bets are off at this point. this is the highest profile game the team has all year shy of the playoffs, and if laviolette has the green light to go with bob, he has the green light to treat this like an open competition for the rest of the season. which is to say, we may very well see things switch around and bob get the bulk of the load for as long as he is able to carry it.

Good points but the way Bryz is handling this, he will probably get his head handed to him in the morning by Lavy and Homer, and who knows what happens at that point... Implosion? Bench? Adarondack? Walk-out? Bryz is out there, even by goalie standards.. Seriously, I have been listening to him since he arrived in town, and especially on HBO. Not right. His head and feelings are just all over the place. He seems like he is not sure he even wants to play the game. He needs some professional help. We all do from time to time.

@canoli

Yup, saw that goal you are talking about. I didn't need replay or another angle to see but knew right away he fukked it up big there. For tomorrow, isn't it refreshing for us to watch the game with enjoyment rather then hate or annoyed that the other team will score easily on our dud. Most likely for the players, they will play with confidence in knowing Bob will make the necessary to bail them out instead of making them look bad.

We are seeing the emergence of the new team with the younger core. It is simple. This boyish-looking goalie is one of the boys. Like you say, they play with confidence with Bob. He is one of them. This move will be looked back on by Lavy as not only the right move, but perhaps a season changing move. It the right way.

@BearOnIce

you're right. playing passive-agressive with management through the media is not going to go over well, especially as it sounds like laviolette and holmgren were not ready to make any announcement. almost *almost* wonder if someone gets called up to take his seat on the bench tomorrow, bryzgalov as a "healthy scratch". wow, can you imagine the media storm if that happened?

This move will be looked back on by Lavy as not only the right move, but perhaps a season changing move. It the right way.

We can only look back in a few weeks if this sparks Bryz into the goalie we expect but yes it's the right move now for the team. They are playing hard every game but then isn't getting rewarded with wins.

@BearOnIce

you're right. playing passive-agressive with management through the media is not going to go over well, especially as it sounds like laviolette and holmgren were not ready to make any announcement. almost *almost* wonder if someone gets called up to take his seat on the bench tomorrow, bryzgalov as a "healthy scratch". wow, can you imagine the media storm if that happened?

Leighton would need to clear waivers. I don't think that is going to happen.

I think it is Reese tells the goaltenders on a regular basis who is starting. So it isn't that big of deal that Laviolette hasn't talked personally talked to Bryz.

no, it isn't going to happen.. made me "lol" to think about, though.

and it isn't odd that laviolette hadn't talked to him, true. it *is* odd for the goalie to make the announcement. i have to think laviolette and holmgren had wanted to do some media control on the issue, but bryzgalov trotted out with the flippantly self-deprecating "i'm not starting so we have a chance to win" bit before they had a chance. the fact that they had no comment when asked directly later on tells me this wasn't how they wanted the info released.

and it isn't odd that laviolette hadn't talked to him, true. it *is* odd for the goalie to make the announcement. i have to think laviolette and holmgren had wanted to do some media control on the issue, but bryzgalov trotted out with the flippantly self-deprecating "i'm not starting so we have a chance to win" bit before they had a chance. the fact that they had no comment when asked directly later on tells me this wasn't how they wanted the info released.

yeah, maybe....but then having camera's around you 24 /7 isn't very "normal" either. It would probably be more inappropriate under the current circumstances to huff about and state that "I'm not going to talk to you (the media) anymore".

Maybe Laviolette and Holmgren aren't pleased.....but then again Bryzgalov has only been critical of himself......and I don't see them criticizing Bryzgalov publicly either.

yeah, maybe....but then having camera's around you 24 /7 isn't very "normal" either. It would probably be more inappropriate under the current circumstances to huff about and state that "I'm not going to talk to you (the media) anymore".

Maybe Laviolette and Holmgren aren't pleased.....but then again Bryzgalov has only been critical of himself......and I don't see them criticizing Bryzgalov publicly either.

I don't buy that. Bob had no problem telling them that it wasn't appropriate for him to reveal the goaltending decision, and the coach had no problem saying that nothing was yet official. So, Bryz broke protocol because of ego, plain and simple.

I hope riding the pine today and for the foreseeable future does wake Bryzgalov up.

Let's face it he's here for a long long time barring a miracle of the new CBA , & even if we get the one-time penalty free buy out , that should be used on #20, if Bryzgalov commits to being elite, i think he can do it, I really feel like he has misread the situation with this fanbase by underestimating our ability to be patient, with anything even claude fing giroux.

i think he's feeling pressure to perform and has been unlucky with some deflections in the games, sometimes a trip to the pressbox can help when a player is pressing, so while he won't be in the pressbox, wearing the towel and touk may help the man to refocus

we hosed ourselves with this deal though, because when i watch bob i feel like i'm seeing the real deal in the orange and black for the first time in a long time.