What is your policy for cheering for other teams?

Guest fanaticV3.0

If someone has a 2nd team, was born in a city but cheers for a different team, or something else along those lines, I usually don't care. I know dorks like Gargano and Missanelli usually call "violations" on people for doing stuff like that - amongst other things - but it's not something I typically care about. Cheer for whoever you want, it doesn't matter to me. I'm not blindly loyal to an organization just because I grew up in that area.

That being said, I had a conversation with this kid I work with, and she was really rubbing me the wrong way. We were talking about the upcoming season, the "Cleary situation" (that's the codename I've chosen to give it going forward, the Vinny signing. As the conversation goes on, she starts going on-and-on about the Kings. She mentions they are her other team, how she watches about 90% of their games, and how much she likes Richards and Carter. The more we talked, it came out that she started following the Kings when Richards got traded there.

She went on to mention how much she hates Lavy, thought dry island was a joke, thought Richards and Carter were treated unfairly here, and how much she hates Chris Pronger. I seriously wanted to throw up and think for a few seconds there I did actually dry heavy a couple of times. It was a close call, but I was able to compose myself.

I have had guys on other teams I liked, other teams I pulled for because I like their squad, and don't feel like you have to root your hometown team, but there was just something about this kid's rationale that made my blood boil. I wanted to throw rotten fruit at her or something. Frontrunner might not be the right word, but it felt like something similar to that.

Never cheer for another team over your hometown team. Never.

That's why I'm (now) a 79-game-a-year Sabres fan (up one game from last year) - because they play the Flyers in the other three.

There are a few players that I have enjoyed seeing win the Cup: Brind'Amour, Gagne, Bourque...

And I have players that I like on other teams (generally UVM alums and Finns).

But under no circumstance do I want to see the Flyers lose. Ever.

@radoran

Disagree. Loved Clarke as a kid and became a Flyer fan. Broke many family members hearts, but as my mom put it, I was my own man (I was in public school)  I took a lot of abuse growing up in Leaf country, where most non Leaf fans jumped on the Habs bandwagon. I STILL take lots of abuse. Don't care.

Never cheer for another team over your hometown team. Never.

That's why I'm (now) a 79-game-a-year Sabres fan (up one game from last year) - because they play the Flyers in the other three.

There are a few players that I have enjoyed seeing win the Cup: Brind'Amour, Gagne, Bourque...

And I have players that I like on other teams (generally UVM alums and Finns).

But under no circumstance do I want to see the Flyers lose. Ever.

Why not? Because were born in the area the play?

Besides, how does one define hometown? Where you were born, raised, lived most of your life?

Why not? Because were born in the area the play?

Besides, how does one define hometown? Where you were born, raised, lived most of your life?

I'm being a tad over the top :) And I do think there should be a special dispensation for Leaf fans.

I would qualify it as where you grew up, yes - assuming you were rooting for a team at the time.

"Switching" allegiances is where I draw the line. Stick with your team in thick and thin. Hell, I was even interested in the Sixers again when they were in the playoffs against the Celtics two years ago.

Boy, did they kill that revival. Can't stand them now. Didn't go pick another NBA team to root for, though.

I'm being a tad over the top :)And I do think there should be a special dispensation for Leaf fans.

I would qualify it as where you grew up, yes - assuming you were rooting for a team at the time.

"Switching" allegiances is where I draw the line. Stick with your team in thick and thin. Hell, I was even interested in the Sixers again when they were in the playoffs against the Celtics two years ago.

Boy, did they kill that revival. Can't stand them now. Didn't go pick another NBA team to root for, though.

I audibly laughed at that one. LOL doesn't always mean someone is rolling on the floor, but that was pretty damn funny.

I root for certain individuals on other teams.  UVM alums, especially.   And, a few others, because I like their character or style of play.  Guy Carbonneau was kind enough to trade letters with one of my kids, and that made him a favorite.   

I don't think the support of your team should ever waiver. There should be no question where your allegiances lie, if that part is wishy washy, then I can't respect that. Is it ok to like another team? As a Flyer fan, it could never be a Eastern Conference rival. In the West, I think the Wild have drafted well, think they are an up and coming team and believe in the kids they have drafted, would enjoy seeing them succeed...BUT not at the Flyers expense, if they ever met in the Cup Finals, they would be hated enemies.

I firmly believe in you pick a team and don't waiver. That's part of what makes a championship team so amazing, that you SUFFERED through all the bad stuff and finally got to experience the joy of being World Champs. If you have more than one shot at that, it cheapens whole suffering scenario. Does this make sense to anyone? LOL!

@fanaticV3.0

I suppose maybe I had a similar thing happen to me when I was "a kid."  (not sure how old the "kid" is you're referring to).

In 1990, I was 22 years old or so.  The Flyers traded Poulin and Propp both to the Bruins for Linesman (who I never liked even the first time around) and toothpaste.    I instantly began following the Bruins and even found myself cheering for them.    I guess for awhile they became my "second team."

But I didn't go nearly as far as the kid you're referring to.  I hated Linesman both because I already did and also now with even more venom because the Flyers traded Poulin for him (it didn't matter to me that that was hardly Linesman's fault.  He obviously didn't orchestrate the deal).   But I didn't go hating some other player on the Flyers because of it.  And I continued to cheer for the Flyers despite the fact they were in a period where there was very little to cheer for.  When the Bruins played the Flyers, I kept cheering for the Flyers.   Although I usually hoped the Flyers would win something to 2 so that both Poulin and Propp could score.

I don't like the idea of changing teams just because a player or players move on.  Or because the coach you're bagging gets fired and moves on.   I like certain players, but I'm old enough to understand that players come and go.  You cheer for the crest.

@ruxpin

I agree Rux. It's different when you're a kid though. (I mean single digit aged kid, not 22) There are plenty of kids that are Pens fans because of Crosby. Same when Mario was there. Same with the Oilers with Gretzky. It was like that for me with Clarke. Thankfully he was my favorite. At the time Perreault was a close 2nd. That's right, I came this close to being Buffalocanuck.

As far as individual players go, it's ok to admire other stars, depending on the team. First off, there is a big difference between respect and admire/like. I would not be caught dead cheering for Crosby (Olympics are a different matter...>GO CANADA). I can't see actually cheering for a Leaf, a Ranger or Pen etc. It's to close to home. It's ok to respect their talent and acknowledge they are good for hockey, but outright cheering for a direct division rivals stars is frowned upon in my line of thinking.

There are some exceptions. Even though Ray Bourque was a lifetime Bruin, seeing a GREAT like him hoist the cup in Colorado was something I will always cherish. I'm happy he got dealt, cause I would not have been nearly as happy for him had he done it as a member of the Bruins. Cheering for Taylor Hall up in Siberia is also acceptable.  :rolleyes:

@fanaticV3.0

You can't tell which was my favorite team?  

http://www.hockeyforums.net/index.php/topic/59720-minnesota-north-stars-mvrp/   (maybe someday a die hard Flyer fan will write about their Favorited Retired Players  ;) )  

Have to say I've always been a fan of NHL'ers from the state of MN.    I follow the Wild as they continue to build an identity of a home grown team.

I became a Flyers fan weeks after moving to the Philadelphia area in support of the superior play of Ron Hextall.  Been a fan of the Orange and Black ever since.  

I'm also a fan of exceptional hockey no matter which team sweater a player wears.

Simply, I'm a hockeyfan. 

I am physically incapable of wishing the Flyers to lose. 

I can.

If they're out of playoff contention, as far as I'm concerned they could lose out. I want what's best for the team in the long run. Drouin or Jones would be looking a lot better right about now than those useless wins from last year. I used to look at it differently. I've already forgotten who we beat by what score in those meaningless games. If Morin keeps progressing it might not matter. But Jones dropping to 4th!!! Heck, we were right there!

@radoran

Disagree. Loved Clarke as a kid and became a Flyer fan. Broke many family members hearts, but as my mom put it, I was my own man (I was in public school)  I took a lot of abuse growing up in Leaf country, where most non Leaf fans jumped on the Habs bandwagon. I STILL take lots of abuse. Don't care.

9 times out of 10 I'm with you. I don't care if you root for the team of the city you're born in or somewhere you have absolutely no connection to. I don't care if you used to like a team but don't anymore either. If you follow or did follow a team that changed enough to where you simply do not like them anymore, don't root for them. Makes no difference to me.

But there was something about her that was rubbing me the wrong way. She became a Kings fan because of Richards and Carter. There was something about her rational that I found very weasel like.

I can.

If they're out of playoff contention, as far as I'm concerned they could lose out. I want what's best for the team in the long run. Drouin or Jones would be looking a lot better right about now than those useless wins from last year. I used to look at it differently. I've already forgotten who we beat by what score in those meaningless games. If Morin keeps progressing it might not matter. But Jones dropping to 4th!!! Heck, we were right there!

I'm not rooting for them to lose. Not caring if they lose is another thing entirely.

@fanaticV3.0

I suppose maybe I had a similar thing happen to me when I was "a kid."  (not sure how old the "kid" is you're referring to).

In 1990, I was 22 years old or so.  The Flyers traded Poulin and Propp both to the Bruins for Linesman (who I never liked even the first time around) and toothpaste.    I instantly began following the Bruins and even found myself cheering for them.    I guess for awhile they became my "second team."

But I didn't go nearly as far as the kid you're referring to.  I hated Linesman both because I already did and also now with even more venom because the Flyers traded Poulin for him (it didn't matter to me that that was hardly Linesman's fault.  He obviously didn't orchestrate the deal).   But I didn't go hating some other player on the Flyers because of it.  And I continued to cheer for the Flyers despite the fact they were in a period where there was very little to cheer for.  When the Bruins played the Flyers, I kept cheering for the Flyers.   Although I usually hoped the Flyers would win something to 2 so that both Poulin and Propp could score.

I don't like the idea of changing teams just because a player or players move on.  Or because the coach you're bagging gets fired and moves on.   I like certain players, but I'm old enough to understand that players come and go.  You cheer for the crest.

If someone genuinely doesn't like a team anymore, I don't care if they switch allegiances. If they are doing it every couple of years, that's another issue and conversation. But if someone just doesn't care for the way an organization operates or the personnel and doesn't want to root for them, it doesn't bother me.

And you rooting for Boston doesn't bother me either.

There was just something about the way she was presenting herself that really irked me to the point I just wanted to do one of these. I feel like she went out or her way to justify everything Richards and Carter did here and how they were treated at the end was completely out of the blue and unfair. The partying and it's distraction to how they did their job was no secret. Neither was Richards' relationship with the media and Pronger. Even if you "like" them, how do you not comprehend they had to go?

If someone genuinely doesn't like a team anymore, I don't care if they switch allegiances. If they are doing it every couple of years, that's another issue and conversation. But if someone just doesn't care for the way an organization operates or the personnel and doesn't want to root for them, it doesn't bother me.

And you rooting for Boston doesn't bother me either.

There was just something about the way she was presenting herself that really irked me to the point I just wanted to do one of these. I feel like she went out or her way to justify everything Richards and Carter did here and how they were treated at the end was completely out of the blue and unfair. The partying and it's distraction to how they did their job was no secret. Neither was Richards' relationship with the media and Pronger. Even if you "like" them, how do you not comprehend they had to go?

Oh, I would have been annoyed with the kid, too.  

You know, I'm finding myself in a similar situation with the Eagles.   I didn't like the last few years of the Andy Reid era and I cannot stand that Michael Vick is on the team.

But I'm not cheering against them, it's just that I'm finding it very difficult to cheer FOR them.   I actually thought about "I need a new team," but after 35 years of cheering FOR the Eagles no other team really suits.

• Like 1

I have found there are some times that I pull for other teams(not against my "home" teams though). For instance, One of the guys I work has a  son (Taylor Jordan) who pitches for the Nationals so I have found myself following that team and pulling for them as long as they weren't playing the Phillies. Also, I have become a Solar Bears Fan (ECHL) due to the addition of Ian Slater to that team (my sister in law works with his mother) and the fact that you can still get good seats and live hockey close to my new home for under 15 bucks a ticket.