You are a guest user Click to join the site

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

hf101

GM Challenge Final - Blackhawks vs Bruins

GM Challenge Final Blackhawks vs Bruins  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which GM is most Proficient?

• Stan Bowman
    • Peter Chiarelli

Welcome to 

Hidden Content

Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

Vote, Discuss and Earn Tokens

Final
Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman  VS  Bruins  GM Peter Chiarelli

Bowman has been a GM for the Blackhawks since July of '09 and Chiarelli has been the GM of the Bruins from May of '06.

When voting and discussing each GM match-up consider the following: Recent - Trades, Cap Management, Draft, Pipeline, and is his 2013-14 team a Playoff Contender.

We plan to choose the most proficient GM in the league via a 32 team elimination bracket format. GMs are ranked according to the 2012 NHL final team standings. The entire bracket and score-sheet will be located in the menu under "Chat & Games" and all voting and discussions will take place as topics in GM Challenge Forum.

1. Tokens are earned for the GM Challenge by voting and posting discussion in each team GM Challenge category or playoff matchups.
2. All GM's are ranked via 2012 final NHL standings.
3. Five Tokens are earned per vote and for each and every quality discussion post within each GM Challenge topic. Maximum 50 tokens per member per matchup.
4. All new GM Challenge matchup polls and discussions will be posted on Mondays and/or Tuesdays each week until Hockey Forums 2013 GMC is chosen in September.
5. All polls and matchups will close Sundays at 9:00 PM.

Went with Bowman, was really expecting him and Shero....

Bowman is his fathers son. That is as big of a compliment as can be given

@yave1964

When I look at the two organizations both have built well through the draft.  Acquired a few key components via free agency.  Both teams will be strong competitors again this season.  I voted for Bowman because I voted for Shero over Chiarelli last round.  Mainly because it was Horton's and Ferrence's desires to leave.

@hf101  Yave touched on Bowman's Dad. I cannot imagine having the luxury of growing up bouncing every hockey question off perhaps the best coach of all time. I bet Scotty passed on more hockey knowledge to Stan in one year, than most people hear in their lifetime....and it shows. He drafts well, manages the cap very nicely, has won 2 Stanley Cups in a 3 year span. The Hawks are in a better position to win going forward.

• Like 1

If you have a few extra minutes, take a look at this really well written article on Bowman and his mastery of the cap, among other things. If there was any doubt that this forum got it right, this story removed any of that. This guy is just super smart. Please don't read cause it's Bleacher report, cause the guy did a great job here, proving not all Bleacher Report stories suck.

Hidden Content

Nice to see Hjalmarsson get some props here. He just might be the most underrated player in the league today. Securing his services long term for 4 mill a year is masterful GM'ing. Hjalmarsson plays this very smart, smooth, poised game. He skates the puck out of trouble with ease, rarely makes a glaring error. Just a really steady guy, with lots of room to grow and progress still.

• Like 2

From the BR story "It's crazy to think that just one year ago, Bowman was on the hot seat after two straight first-round playoff exits. As the 2013-14 season approaches, a case could be made that he's the best GM in the NHL."

Looks like we didn't fare to bad in our little summer excursion, huh?

Bowman. I agree with @yave1964 Chiarelli should've lost last round. Damn Flyers fans! ;)

Bowman makes it work and keeps star talent. Chiarelli traded Seguin, lost Ference, Horton, Jagr, and defensive minded Peverly. I appreciate Eriksson and even Iginla to some degree, but the Bruins got weaker this year.

• Like 1

@jammer2

nice write up. gotta agree about bleacher report it can be pretty bad and usually I just skim it but this was good. I like what you said about Scotty being the perfect teacher.

I saw this ranking in a blog written by

Hidden Content

It ranked the GM's by their winning percentage.  

Maybe we gave too much credit to Lombardi, and Bob Murray and not enough to Holland.  A few GM's along the way might have done better with a better initial ranking.  But I do think we also got a lot of the new GM's right as in Armstrong, Kekalainen, and Nonis.  

Hidden Content

I think we did alright, HF.

The problem with winning percentage is that in some cases it doesn't show who's brought home the hardware.  I'd rather finish 8th and win the Cup than the win or threaten to win the President's Trophy several years running only to come away with nothing.

My vote is too late to count and too late for the challenge thing, but Bowman for me.   And just for Polaris, Shero should have lost two rounds ago.  The Pens are becoming the Caps of Pennsylvania (Pennsylvania already has a Flames on the other side of the state).

Final Results GM Challenge.  

Congrats to @ruxpin, @jammer2, and @flyercanuck  and Thank you all who participated!

Hidden Content

Grr... I knew the last two weeks work would hurt my shot at the gold medal! ;). Congrats you guys... Enjoy your time at Disney World!

What? The site doesn't send them ?

Grr... I knew the last two weeks work would hurt my shot at the gold medal! ;). Congrats you guys... Enjoy your time at Disney World!

What? The site doesn't send them ?

What???? Fraud!!!!!

• Like 1

• Most Liked Posts in This Topic

If you have a few extra minutes, take a look at this really well written article on Bowman and his mastery of the cap, among other things. If there was any doubt that this forum got it right, this story removed any of that. This guy is just super smart. Please don't read cause it's Bleacher report, cause the guy did a great job here, proving not all Bleacher Report stories suck.     Hidden Content Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.
      @hf101  Yave touched on Bowman's Dad. I cannot imagine having the luxury of growing up bouncing every hockey question off perhaps the best coach of all time. I bet Scotty passed on more hockey knowledge to Stan in one year, than most people hear in their lifetime....and it shows. He drafts well, manages the cap very nicely, has won 2 Stanley Cups in a 3 year span. The Hawks are in a better position to win going forward.
      Bowman. I agree with @yave1964 Chiarelli should've lost last round. Damn Flyers fans! Bowman makes it work and keeps star talent. Chiarelli traded Seguin, lost Ference, Horton, Jagr, and defensive minded Peverly. I appreciate Eriksson and even Iginla to some degree, but the Bruins got weaker this year.

Game Room 1

You don't have permission to chat.