Is it Getting Ugly!?

Guest Bakanekimiwa

@hf101

and js giguerre had a .920 or better three times in anaheim. the question is: do you see his natural abilities or developed talent being of the sort that can generate those kinds of results consistently behind different defensive corps playing different defensive systems? i look at a goalie like henrick lundqvist and say yes: he has excellent mobility, is extremely flexible, has strong natural angles, top flight rebound control, and an innate focus that rarely has him out of the game. move him to columbus and he'll continue to put up the same or similar save percentages. his gaa and win% will both suffer, he'll see a ton more shots and the skaters can't put the puck in the other net, but the things he can control, he will. bryzgalov, i don't see that. i see a goalie who is very heavy on his skates, fair flexibility, angles are weak, rebound control is poor, and is easily shaken. i don't see the tools there to be a premier goalie in the NHL in the abstract. behind the right team, one that plays the right defensive system, yes, he can excel, but he is dependant on that protection. js giguerre was similar. different, but similar. poor skater, inflexible, but great angles and outstanding rebound control. behind a team that funneled the right kind of shot at him, he was awesome. behind a team that forced him to deal with a wider variety of shots and situations, though, and he was toast. the cup winning d-corps in anaheim was dismantled and his numbers collapsed.

it is no coincidence that mike smith is having the best season of his career behind the same team that bryzgalov floated to the top with. same save percentage and everything. i have no doubt that bryzgalov is a .910 kind of goalie. outside of a protected nest, though, he is not a .920 guy.

I know HF, and I'm not exactly proud of posting "fk him" about anyone, much less a guy who plays for the Flyers.

On the other hand it's been months now...months, and his act is wearing thin, this Look How Interesting I Am rap he's got the media jerks buying into. The one today where he mocks himself by saying he's got "great news...I'm not playing" is more of the same - and we've been hearing it since July.

Winning games, stopping the puck - making an effort to be in position (maybe start there?) would help ... not much but at least he'd be easier to ignore.

I know I'm just a fan who's far removed from what's going on with the team. Maybe Bryzgalov is working his ass off in practice and things just aren't falling his way in the games (though it's hard to believe when you see Callahan make a midget out of him; the lack of focus, the lack of effort is plain to see - and it's not the first time he's looked that way, not even close).

He presents himself as a clown off the ice - who cares right? Right. Unfortunately he's the same on the ice.

Paraphrased: Everything is beautiful. I'm one of the fortunate ones in this universe.Look at all the people not as fortunate as me. I have no worries. I'm set for life. All is as it should be.

Bryz, get real! This guy needs to be in the present. The universe may be as it should, but Bryz needs to focus on his karmic task, which, although mundane and insignificant to him, is to play hockey, to play goalie, to play goalie for the Flyers in 2011-2012, and do it to the best of his abilities.

I hope riding the pine today and for the foreseeable future does wake Bryzgalov up.

Let's face it he's here for a long long time barring a miracle of the new CBA , & even if we get the one-time penalty free buy out , that should be used on #20, if Bryzgalov commits to being elite, i think he can do it, I really feel like he has misread the situation with this fanbase by underestimating our ability to be patient, with anything even claude fing giroux.

i think he's feeling pressure to perform and has been unlucky with some deflections in the games, sometimes a trip to the pressbox can help when a player is pressing, so while he won't be in the pressbox, wearing the towel and touk may help the man to refocus

that's why i'm wondering if this is the beginning of a very acrimonious divorce.

Problem is, I don't know how realistic this divorce is. This inflated, overblown contract makes it virtually impossible to lose this clown. Teams would likely want 1st round picks to even get interested in any talks.

Snider screwed this team up pretty bad this time.

Edited by Mad Dog

Problem is, I don't know how realistic this divorce is. This inflated, overblown contract makes it virtually impossible to lose this clown. Teams would likely want 1st round picks to even get interested in any talks.

Snider screwed this team up pretty bad this time.

If the new CBA yields a penalty-free buyout period, you seriously have to consider it for him and Pronger. Assuming Bryz doesn't get better both on and off the ice.

I really believe there's about 0.05% chance the Flyers buy out his contract after only one season, even if there is a penalty-free buyout period. It would be admitting an epic failure, and while they did admit that with Richards and Carter, they were able to trade them and get a nice return before their NTCs kicked in next season. With Bryz, the organization would have to swallow $46M and get absolutely nothing in return.

I really believe there's about 0.05% chance the Flyers buy out his contract after only one season, even if there is a penalty-free buyout period. It would be admitting an epic failure

true...unless they really think it *is* an epic failure. i mean, if holmgren and snider sit down and decide that bryzgalov and his contract will cause real problems continuing to build and grow the team, they just may decide to get out in front of it and clear it out. they'll have egg on thier face, but may come to the conclusion it will be less than if they let this anchor hang around the team's neck for years.....

problem is, i don't know how likely a penalty free buy out period will be. they had one when the last CBA went into effect, but then they were taking a no-cap league and imposing a cap. they had to have a mechanism for teams over the new cap figure to get themselves compliant. they pretty much *had* to have that. i can't figure what change could be made next summer that would require a similar mechanism, unless they plan on tightening the cap WAY down, which i don't really see happening. penalty free buy outs last time because they really had to...i'm struggling to see what would force their hand this time.

on the other hand, the owners and the PA might decide it's win-win to have one anyway. the players get 2/3's of the remaining money all at once, and can then go out and sign new contracts right away, so ultimately it is more money for the players...and the owners probably wouldn't mind a do-over of some of these deals from an on-ice product perspective.

oh, the drama

@brelic

Is it possible that he rides the pine next season and the remainder of this one and gets fed up and decides to retire and play in the KHL?

I am not too sure how this whole contract works for him with the ins and outs, but that may be a lot better than out right buying him out.

Also, he may have a wake up call after sitting today, but for some reason I don't see it.

@brelic

Is it possible that he rides the pine next season and the remainder of this one and gets fed up and decides to retire and play in the KHL?

I am not too sure how this whole contract works for him with the ins and outs, but that may be a lot better than out right buying him out.

Also, he may have a wake up call after sitting today, but for some reason I don't see it.

Sure, anything's possible, but I doubt a 32 year old goalie with 8 years and $41M remaining on a contract would just walk away from that kind of money. If he plays or not, he gets paid. If he retires, he doesn't.

I said from the get-go that there was no way, in my mind, that Brygalov would be the starter for 9 years, let alone even be in Philly for that long. I figured 5 years, max. Regardless of his play this year, I don't think the Flyers do anything drastic until firmly establish that Bryz is really WYSIWYG, and that Bob can become the #1. Bob had excellent numbers last year as a rookie, and hopefully he can continue to build on that, but there are no guarantees.

And, IMO, that contract right now is untradeable even if Bryz were to agree to it. No other GM in the league would be stupid enough to take it on given his play thus far.

I am sure deep down, the Flyers realized they made a huge mistake. There is no doubt in my mind they did. If they somehow manage to lose Bryzgalov's and Pronger's contracts, they suddenly have a big cap relief for the future.

I can't imagine him getting better. It's not like he is a rookie; he's been in the league for way too long to expect him to suddenly change the way he plays.

Aziz....... or anyone else........ as the rules stand right now, what *is* the penalty for the buy-out. Give me all the details. And once you buy a player out, does his salary immediately stops counting against the cap or is there some sort of a "left-over"? I say if it's just cash involved, just friggin' do it. It sure makes the Flyers look foolish for giving the guy that kind of a contract to begin with, but hey, everybody makes mistakes. It's better to correct this now rather than continuing him taking up a valuable cap space, thus tying Homer's hands to add players to the roster.

Ilya Bryzgalov is 31 years old on the buyout date of June 15, 2012, setting the buyout ratio at 2/3 and the total buyout cost at $27,333,333 spread over 16 years. His contract was originally valued at $51,000,000 beginning in 2011 and ending in 2020, with $41,000,000 remaining from the buyout year forward. The following is a season-by-season breakdown of the buyout. A negative buyout cap hit indicates a credit.

http://bit.ly/lw7ZYZ

At least Homer fronted ten million in year one, as it makes the buyout a little less painful on the cap.

Wow, i know someone joked about it but last year people ripped on Richards for showing no emotions and not being available to reporters. Now Bryz is the typical "class clown" and everyone jumps down his throat? I know it would be different if he was playing well, but I'll make a prediction that later this season he'll go on a hot streak and people will be saying how awesome he is.

Wow, i know someone joked about it but last year people ripped on Richards for showing no emotions and not being available to reporters. Now Bryz is the typical "class clown" and everyone jumps down his throat? I know it would be different if he was playing well, but I'll make a prediction that later this season he'll go on a hot streak and people will be saying how awesome he is.

I don't care if a guy talks to the media or not. I care how he plays on the ice. Richards was one of the best players we had here during his tenure. Bryzgalov just looks like another goalie from the scrapheap. Except he's being paid TEN MILLION.

People need to lighten up, it's just an f'ing thermos

Whenever he gets pulled from now on, fans should deposit thermos cups on the ice, or show a brewing bottle on the big screen....

Don't ya think if he gets the start against CHI he'll get booed for all this unnecessary hubbub?

Whenever he gets pulled from now on, fans should deposit thermos cups on the ice, or show a brewing bottle on the big screen....

Don't ya think if he gets the start against CHI he'll get booed for all this unnecessary hubbub?

Or post pictures of teabags on his twitter?

Or post pictures of teabags on his twitter?

Teabagging Bryz, if he ever hoists the Cup in Philly he can sell his own brew 4eva

Hey, I hope he gets the start, faces the boos, takes the teabaggs, then stones the Blackhawks.