Nucks' Messy Win over Islanders

goalnut3133

Ugh, what a hot mess we were tonite vs the Islanders, in a game I thought we could have & should have played a whole lot better...the Isles after all, are not that tough a team to play against, imo. For the first 2 periods, especially, the Isles dominated us, hemming us in, in our own end, with dominant puck possession, making us look like we were wearing 2 left skates. They were hungrier for the puck, faster, & had better puck support & positioning to win puck battles. What. on. earth?  Did we not learn our lesson when we had our butts handed to us on a platter Sunday vs the Blue Jackets? A team we should have & could have easily beaten? Instead they sent us away with our pride in our back pockets. Oh the humiliation of it all!  And then tonite's game...yes, we were lucky enough to come out of this one 5-4 in O/T, but if you ask me, the Isles really deserved to win this one...they just flat out-played us tonite. Man, we gotta get our acts together here...upcoming is no easy feat: we play Jersey Thurs (which we really oughta win!), then a back-2-back with...(gulp!) St. Louis, the following nite, ending our 7-game road trip, after the Blues will have had a 6-day rest!  Ah, this could get real ugly, real fast fellas!

You can hear the disgust in Tort's voice in his comments: 

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/nhl/game/1345985/recap/

@yave1964  I hear what you're saying, but when it comes to the Nucks, I don't particularly agree. Their inconsistency drives me (& many fans) nuts, & it's not just cuz they're getting used to Tort's new system. I've always found them to be such an inconsistent team at times. And consistency is what we really need now within this tougher division, if we're hoping to make the playoffs. Torts is hoping to see how the team fares by late Nov or so with the new system...he'll have a better idea of who can play in his system & who can't (though I don't really know what that means for the team? How many players can he afford to sit out?) First on the list to sit out right now is, interestingly, David Booth. Torts said, with 10 mins of ice time per game, that's more than enough to see if he can produce, & so far, he hasn't done much. I agree, another disappointing start for him, AND he's healthy this year. 

So what I was meaning is, If the Nucks play Fri against St Louis like they played last nite vs the Isles, they're gonna mop up the ice with us. However, if we play them like we played against Pittsburgh on Saturday, we stand a chance of winning (actually, though my hopes aren't too high that they'll win...esp with Halak in net). But it will be fun to watch 2 of my fave teams this year.

(Hey, if the Flyer fans get to rant all over this forum, then so can 1 measly Nucks fan! LOL!  ;) )

• Like 1

give me a sloppy win any time over a pretty loss.

Oh yes, & just to clarify my point, I was much prouder of the way the Nucks played the Penguins in Sat's game even though they lost 4-3 in O/T, than the way they played in their 'win' to the Isles last nite 5-4 in O/T. Because one way will, in the long run, likely get you to the playoffs, but the other way, won't...and even if you make it, you'll crap out badly in the first round.

I really thought your boys outplayed the Pens the other day. I really think the club is going to adjust to Torts better than I originally thought.

Yes, I agree, I think Torts has done some good things so far to improve the Nucks' 'non-chalant' style of play. I'm liking their more aggressive offense & more shot blocks sure don't hurt, esp if Lu or Lack are having an off-nite! 

Oh & re: sitting Booth out last nite's game, I find it so interesting that Torts had no qualms or hesitation in doing it (& with just the right amount of 'trial' time, imo), as opposed to Vigneault, who would never do that, he'd just play & play Booth, regardless of his output. I think this method is much smarter hockey, play the guys who produce, sit the guys who don't (even though healthy)...it's much more efficient for the team.  Haha, & what an emphatic 'reprimand' of sorts Booth got by Tort's action, he replaced Booth with Andrew Alberts! Alberts!  Boy, that's a statement, huh? LOL!!

I really thought your boys outplayed the Pens the other day. I really think the club is going to adjust to Torts better than I originally thought.

Torts generally has a positive impact out of the gate - one question is his longevity and another is whether he's learned to adapt his style.

You guys have a front row seat to find out.

@radoran  Yah, I do like what I see so far though, hopefully it lasts the season!  I figure a jumpstart to the team is still better than leaving the boys in their sleeping bags, all tucked in & cozy for the season......zzzzzzzzzzz!

Lu is surprisingly off to a pretty good start for October as well!  Also, I think Torts maybe feels he has something to prove here in Vancity...after getting the royal boot from the Rags...hopefully it's enough incentive to push us up the hill to the playoffs!  I'm certainly not expecting to win the Cup, by any means...but a few rounds would be nice?  :rolleyes: