helmets

blocker

We've had a couple injuries here in the last week or so, that could have been prevented by the injured party, if they were wearing a helmet.  The first was a kid who suffered injuries to his femoral artery during public skating.   His parents backed off from insisting upon him wearing a helmet during fun skating for two reasons.  One, is that he's a pretty good skater.  Two, is because he didn't want to look like a wimp in front of his buddies.  The parents changed their minds in the ambulance.

The other injury was to a well-known and well-liked high school coach.  He fell on the ice.  Banged his head, and is seriously hurt.

Why in hell are people still skating without helmets? 

One of my great-grandsons will be soon skating.  He won't go on the ice without a helmet and elbow pads. 

We've had a couple injuries here in the last week or so, that could have been prevented by the injured party, if they were wearing a helmet.  The first was a kid who suffered injuries to his femoral artery during public skating.   His parents backed off from insisting upon him wearing a helmet during fun skating for two reasons.  One, is that he's a pretty good skater.  Two, is because he didn't want to look like a wimp in front of his buddies.  The parents changed their minds in the ambulance.

The other injury was to a well-known and well-liked high school coach.  He fell on the ice.  Banged his head, and is seriously hurt.

Why in hell are people still skating without helmets? 

One of my great-grandsons will be soon skating.  He won't go on the ice without a helmet and elbow pads. 

Absolutely!! I haven't been on the ice in a decade without a helmet, now I am 48, but in the decade before I finally gave in and put one on I always thought about it, and macho stuff stopped me. You finally get to the age where your brain matters more than your pride, a lot is peer pressure, a lot is not wanting to look silly or afraid in front of girls, ect.... I have a 20 month old grandson who will be skating soon and will NEVER be allowed out without a brain bucket on. Same with motorcycles, I don't understand that either, I know, the wind in your hair, ect... but I would rather have a helmet on and wake up and walk away.

@blocker,

In 1874 the first “testicular guard” known as the “cup” was used in hockey, to protect the family jewels. But it was not until 1974 that we saw players begin to wear helmets as a team.  It took 100 years to figure out the brain was also an important organ. (not my quote, I read it somewhere).

@blocker,

In 1874 the first “testicular guard” known as the “cup” was used in hockey, to protect the family jewels. But it was not until 1974 that we saw players begin to wear helmets as a team.  It took 100 years to figure out the brain was also an important organ. (not my quote, I read it somewhere).

Gordie Howe was once asked why he wore a cup and not a helmet, his reply, "If I get hit in the head I can always have someone else do my thinking for me." One of my all time favorite quotes.....