The All-Encompassing World Junior Hockey Championship Thread

flyercanuck

Thought we could have one thread to post generic stuff about the WJs unless something deserves it's own thread. 

Canada/Finland exhibition playing on TSN right now....Finland 2-0 on some not so good work by Mantha/Rychel on both goals. Canada very sluggish.

OK, so the real games begin.

Canada looked good against the Finns, and terrible against Sweden and the Swiss. I'm fine with our goaltending. But we sure seem to be lacking  in speed and scoring. Athanasiou would have helped in that dept. Drouin and McDavid have been great. 17 year old Aaron Ekblad has been better...WAY better than our 19 year old defencemen. And also WAY better than potential #1 overall Sam Reinhart. This team needs a wakeup call or....NO MEDAL FOR YOU! 

Just waiting patiently for the first game against Germany to start!!  I feel very confident in Sutter's choice of Jake Patterson to start the tourny. He had a real nice pre-tourny performance. If he plays well against Germany, we just may see him run the table and Zach may not see much if any time in this tourny....they are both capable, but I'm very at peace with the Jake choice!

Just a few odds and ends before the first puck drops, the loss to Sweden was a good thing for Canada, keeps their ego in check and saw Patterson rise to the top with an outstanding performance in the loss.

Glad to see (thrilled actually) that the automatic byes to the final are gone....this never helped Canada much and always seemed to have up playing teams with more momentum at the wrong time. A great move to get this thing gone.

Another change is the 5th place game being eliminated. This was always a stinker and was played with little life, rough to sit though a lot of years...again, a solid move to eliminate it.

Rough start, bad goal to put Canada in the hole just a minute and a half in. Came right back though, nice silky smooth looking rush from Dumba, finished off by Anderson. The more I see of this Anderson kid, the more I like him. He has "unsung hero" written all over him. Not even drafted by the Knights in the OHL draft, he has grown a lot physically (from 5'6 as a rookie to his present 6'2 and 200 lbs) and his game is constantly evolving. 

Like the early puck control by the Petan, Rychel, Lazar line. If Canada is gonna be a top scoring them, this trio's success will be very important....a good start for them.

NIIIIICCCCEEEE!!!!  Canada goes up 2-1 on a nonchalant roof job by Mantha. I think the Red Wings have found a legit super star here....a guy to take the torch from Zetts and Pavel...Pouilet and looking very comfortable and dynamic on the top pp. 

All in all, a decent first period for Canada, upon further review, the Germans first goal was tipped in front....not much of a chance for Jake....it did look weak the way in tricked in through the 5 hole, but I'm not gonna judge him on that goal.

Team USA has two 19 yr old guys that are playing in the AHL.  How are they eligible to play in the AHL?  I thought they had to go back to their junior teams if they were not playing in the NHL.

Stefan Matteau - Albany Devils - Released by Blainville-Boisbriand (QMJHL).
Conner Carrick - Hershey Bears - Played last year with Plymouth (OHL).

Interesting AFF.

Matteau played 17 games last season as an 18 yr old with th Devils.  Then was sent to the QMJHL.  He quit.  Thus he was assigned to the Albany Devils.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/22/devils-confirm-matteau-released-by-junior-team/

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/25/devils-cut-matteau-send-him-to-ahl-rather-than-junior/

Carrick, on the other hand, was not drafted out of the CHL. At the moment of the Draft, he was committed to the University of Michigan after playing a year in the USHL with the US National Team Development Program.  Later, Carrick’s hockey career departed from his education. While still taking classes at Michigan, Carrick de-committed to play for the nearby Plymouth Whalers in the Ontario Hockey League. So, as he wasn’t a member of a CHL team at the time of the Draft, the Caps had the option to send him to the minors.

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2013/09/19/where-can-connor-carrick-play-this-year/