The All-Encompassing World Junior Hockey Championship Thread

flyercanuck

Just a disgusting loss for Team Canada....I'm not putting it all on Paterson's shoulders, but he was less than stellar, Zach please....but if the defensive zone coverage does not improve, it won't matter. We lost to the friggin Checz's.....wow...just wow. Petan losing control of the puck in the shoot out was a bad break, but a horrid effort from this team. This was a team loss. They just have to be better in every aspect. At this point, picking Rychel was a mistake, he looks slow and lethargic out there. Not making excuses, but I don't think we lose this game with Griffin Rienhart in the line up....but still, these are Canada's 6 top d-men? I hate the Leafs for not letting us have Morgan Riley!!  We seem to be missing a rock solid defender like Harrington supplied the last few years....but Exblad has been great, no complaints there.

Can't believe coach Sutter today.

He benches McDavid for most of the third for taking a bad penalty, his second.

Then, after watching the young man seethe on the bench, he puts him in, cold, to take Canada's final shootout attempt. Predictably he misses. He fumbles the puck and doesn't even get a short off.

After, in his post game comments, Sutter talks about how important it is for young players to not lose confidence, apparently oblivious to the fact that he alone is responsible for any and all damage to McDavid's confidence.

Canada doesn't look good. I thought it was the players, maybe not the right selections. But I'm starting to wonder about Sutter's judgement.

An 8-0 shutout for Stolarz vs the weaker Germany I missed most of the game but saw the important early 5 on 3 for 65 sec that they killed successfully.  14 players with points.  

Next victim  O'Canada.

USA USA USA  

:D

and yes I agree with @Podein25  if he is going to bench McDavid you don't throw him cold into the shootout.  

Haven't been able to watch any of the US games so far. Can someone give a report on Stolarz's play? Obviously the team in front of him is rolling but has he made some good saves or has he basically been along for the ride? I've only really seen him be 'big" in net. Then again, goaltending has become the least of our worries on the Flyers.

Just a casual observation...Team Canada management has put to much emphasis on the grinders. Guys like Rychel and Gauthier, who were obviously added to inject grit into the line up have been mostly invisible. Throw in the fact that any wicked hit is usually penalized in this tourny.....and personally, I'd rather have more balanced scoring. I realize the importance of the forecheck and physicality but all factors considered, we gotta score more goals. Going into the 3rd losing to Slovakia...unacceptable. There is a pronounced lack of discipline on this team, most of the penalities were clear cut, not the refs ganging up on Canada. We need to stick to skill and scoring....and leave the grinders at home. You can't be soft, but this team does not have enough scoring.

The only reason the Slovaks are close is the lack of discipline, you simply can't keep taking PIM's in this tourny, even the weaker teams can make you pay dearly. Hopefully the return of Griffin helps out against the USA, cause right now, this team does not look like a medal team.

Funny tournament.  I thought the Czechs played well both in both games I watched.  The score of the US game didn't accurately reflect the play.  Slovakia blew their chance against Canada.  Their penalty killing in the third period was pitiful. 

Tomorrow's US-Canada game should be fun. 

@jammer2

I agree jammer. They took the play to them but there's no finish.They also don't appear to be skating hard most of the time.

The officiating was bad both ways I thought. Some pretty lame calls...both ways. 

After last game Drouin goes out and takes 12 minutes in penalties 10 seconds into the game???? Spends the second period trying to run guys and yell at the ref? That's some leadership there. 

At least Fucale didn't let in a bad goal so we have that going for us.

Unless there's a huge change in the way this team goes about their business the US is going to run away with the game. 

Haven't been able to watch any of the US games so far. Can someone give a report on Stolarz's play? Obviously the team in front of him is rolling but has he made some good saves or has he basically been along for the ride? I've only really seen him be 'big" in net. Then again, goaltending has become the least of our worries on the Flyers.

@flyercanuck,

Stolarz only played the last game and won 8 - 0 vs Germany. I didn't get to see the whole game, maybe half. I don't remember any spectacular saves but that is because he wasn't challenged. I know this isn't much information.  Sorry.

@hf101

Sweden is the team to beat IMO. Lots of speed and skill. Canada may have got their mojo back with a real goalie. If Fucale plays like that the rest of the way Canada has a chance. The US will go against another hot goalie in Russia while Canada plays those pesky Swiss. Griffin Reinhart gives Canada 3 really good defencemen, though 17 year old Ekblad is still our best all around IMO. Glad to have him back after the suspension.

Anyone who doesn't think that win was huge...the US now has to beat Russia, then likely Sweden and then maybe Canada to win gold. That is one tough road. Canada has to go through the Swiss, then the winner of Finland/Czechs. I really really hope we get the rematch against the Czechs.

Happy New Year everyone.

The Swiss just got screwed in the game against Canada. The officials allowed Lazar to skate into the Swiss goalie knocking the puck out if his pads and the goalie out of the crease, then Lazar skates it around the other side and tucks it in to open the lead to 3-1.

Two minutes later the puck is shot into Fucale's chest but drops to the ice, the Swiss player racks at it as its loose, but the refs blow the whistle.

Not that the Swiss really had a chance to win here, but come on... Try to keep it from looking like the winner is already picked!

The Swiss just got screwed in the game against Canada. The officials allowed Lazar to skate into the Swiss goalie knocking the puck out if his pads and the goalie out of the crease, then Lazar skates it around the other side and tucks it in to open the lead to 3-1.

Two minutes later the puck is shot into Fucale's chest but drops to the ice, the Swiss player racks at it as its loose, but the refs blow the whistle.

Not that the Swiss really had a chance to win here, but come on... Try to keep it from looking like the winner is already picked!

I don't think the Swiss "got screwed". Their goalie was already out of the crease, he was at the side of the net, when he covered the puck and Lazar dug it out. The whistle hadn't gone so i saw nothing wrong. At the other end it was a quick whistle. But it's not like they scored on the play, and the ref apologized right away. 

And the Swiss got lucky on their lone goal, which was a borderline high stick with a second left in the period. That call could easily have went either way. 

Oh, and welcome to the "other side of the Pens" world. You walked into that one. :P