Tums Please!

Jam1986

@murraycraven

so are the flyers a bad good team or a good bad team ?

i can't figure them out, they're slow, but have some talent,  they're pretty decent 5 on 5 but have been putting the "special" in special teams.  

I really wonder what needs to change , how they can be come a better team, you can't teach speed.  

I just don't know where to begin for them to take the next step.

They are a young team that needs time and patience.  There's nothing wrong with them per se, just growing pains.  Young players that aren't "generational talents" are not elite out right of the gate.  They need time to grow their game, their body in some cases, and chemistry with the rest of the team.  It doesn't happen overnight.  More like over a few seasons.

Berube is doing a good job coaching in my opinon.  He seems to have a list of things that irritate him about the current product on ice, and is working them a few at a time - allowing for better focus on said issues.  The team no longer looks gassed after 40 minutes for starters.  He's working on limiting penalties, however, some refs love to make really really really weak calls.  Flyer bias?  Maybe, but Berube isn't making excuses.  I'm perceiving fewer dumb penalties though.  Berube's using Emery to try to keep Mason fresh, and so far is good at managing goalies in my opinion - something a previous coach was miserable at.  The PP/PK units have been coached up, and team defense has been better overall.  The Flyers have been tougher to score against since transitioning to Berube's style of play, and that's without an offseason, training camp, and with several road trips (limiting opportunities to practice).

The weakest link on the whole bench is Jim McCrossin and the Flyers doctors.  How do these guys make so many bad medical decisions and keep their jobs?  You want to fix something critical, fire those bums and get some people in who can accurately diagnose injuries in a timely manner, and treat effectively.  Why didn't Brayden Schenn get a baseline test?  Why couldn't they figure out Lecavalier out earlier?  Even the Downie concussion situation bothered me a little.

Back to the players on ice, they need time.  There is no replacement for it.

The only thing that bothers me a little about the skaters is the rotation of defenseman in and out of the lineup.  Pairs should be established if at all possible, so they can "feel" where the other is without explicitly thinking or looking.  The complicating factor is that no one can lock down the 6th defenseman spot, and Berube is scratching guys who deserve it.

I think we need to seriously look at the roster and hold them to an appropriate level in our minds.  This team could, but likely won't win the Cup this year.  They are a developing team.  What I think we need to look for is growth on a month to month level.  They will lay stinkers, pull a cardiac comeback, and hiccup all the way - but it's still our team.  Have patience, and enjoy the ride.  If this group wins the Cup in the next five years, it'll make these time much more worth it.

• Like 1

Berube is doing a good job coaching in my opinon.  He seems to have a list of things that irritate him about the current product on ice, and is working them a few at a time - allowing for better focus on said issues.  The team no longer looks gassed after 40 minutes for starters.  He's working on limiting penalties, however, some refs love to make really really really weak calls.  Flyer bias?  Maybe, but Berube isn't making excuses.  I'm perceiving fewer dumb penalties though.  Berube's using Emery to try to keep Mason fresh, and so far is good at managing goalies in my opinion - something a previous coach was miserable at.  The PP/PK units have been coached up, and team defense has been better overall.  The Flyers have been tougher to score against since transitioning to Berube's style of play, and that's without an offseason, training camp, and with several road trips (limiting opportunities to practice).

i agree 1000 % 

The only thing that bothers me a little about the skaters is the rotation of defenseman in and out of the lineup.  Pairs should be established if at all possible, so they can "feel" where the other is without explicitly thinking or looking.  The complicating factor is that no one can lock down the 6th defenseman spot, and Berube is scratching guys who deserve it.

this too.

How to fix it ?  while we're in the "development " stages do you bring the AHL guys up and let them feel the love too ?  Konan, Alt, Mandog (Manning) , Laridesen   so they can grow with the forward corps ?  is it better to let them gain confidence in the A?  I feel like riding it out with a shell of Mezaros and player Z to be determined daily doesn't help me feel as though we're moving forward. Timmonen is just okay now, I don't see where the whole team gets to develop with the current layout of players. 

Guys this is a team in rebuild mode..... They are going to be like this for the rest of the season and maybe more after that. I think Homer finally knows he has to build through the draft. That is why he has not made any trades.

We got a good crop of young dmen in the minors that will be ready in a few years and with Laughton looking great, if we can keep our draft picks and not trade them we can get more depth at forward which we so badly need.

If we are looking like we will not make the playoffs I say trade guys like Timo, Streit "if we can", Mez etc... for draft pics and really rebuid this team in the draft and not buy from the FA pool like we always do.

If we would of done this from the start we would not be a roller coaster team. Plus its is still early and we are I think in 8th place in the conference??? So guys please be patient.

Edited by Philly29
  • Like 1

See to me playing guys like Gil and Mezaros, is eating half the **** sandwich.

if we're rebuilding, we need to you know actually do it.  The "reload" approach hasn't worked is really not working this year, so why not bite the bullet and jettison guys that spend more time in the press box than the dressing room and let guys that may be the future get some regular season minutes in the NHL. This half way business is difficult for me to get on board with.

• Like 1

Philly 29, im with you. if we can dump Vinny, Streit, Mez, Timmo and Hartnell at the deadline I would do it. Stockpile picks and prospects. Vinny  was putting up good numbers and looking good, if he stay healty, his value goes way up. We should also play Mez more, so it shows hes healthy to other teams, and everyone looks for defensive depth at playoff time. Hartnell is also a playoff warrior and EVERY team will look for a physical winger who can score and play hardnosed playoff hockey, that type of player is a commodity. Timmo can get us something too, we are not going anywhere if we make the playoffs, so I say get something now, when teams are overpaying at the deadline to shore up for a playoff run, we will not get as much in the offseason and Timmo and Mez obviously get us nothing after the deadline.

I think this team is still in transition and frankly are not good. They are barely treading water in a terrible division. If we were in the West we would be the Sabres of the east.

They have some very good young parts. If you can move some of the bad signings by Homer at the deadline all the better. I don't foresee this team as it is currently constructed being the end product. I still believe B Schenn is going to be moved at some point. Too many centers and with Laughton coming up next yr something is going to have to give. Not sure if anyone would be willing to take Vinny and his contract. I think it would be easier to move a defenseman like Streit bc reams are looking to reinforce the blue line come playoff time.

Right now I think they are a bad team which is why they are widely inconsistent. But, I think the parts are there for a good team in a few years. If Homer does not screw it up that is...