Santa Please....Bring Hartnell a new jersey...

CoachX

He is "good in the room", "hard to play against", he's the type of player you need to keep the team on an even keel.He's big, He goes to the net , he does hit and is a good guy to have around in a playoff series.

That said, I think he may have found a home with Schenn and Simmonds... They look pretty decent, lots of sand paper with that group , once Downie comes back. I just don't see him displacing either Schenn or Simmer when VLC moves back to centering that line.

I won't argue that his production has fallen off , or that some nights he looks like a square peg in a round hole. I blame Clarke.

I don't see the "he's hard to play against" point. If Im the other team, I just go at him a bit and wait for one of the two inevitibles... he either falls down, or takes a penalty. In some cases he will fall down while taking a penalty. The things you are outlining are not exclusive to Hartnell. Lots of big players go to the net. Its not like he is the only guy who will do it. And when he gets to the net what does he do? He fans, falls down or takes a penalty. As for his character in the room, I seem to recall Jody Shelley was a good guy in the room. If that doesn't translate on the ice, what good is it?

In Hartnell's defense, he did manage to get in the way of someone else's shot and got a goal last night. I guess for the money he's making he should do something productive

Let's get rid of Hartnel . I mean we have a large team upfront who can stand in the crease and hacked and whacked . I mean without Hartnel we have a huge list of power forwards like simmonds and simmonds and simmonds. Simmonds can't be split Into thirds people. We would get steam rolled by Boston. Unless your getting a proven power forward back it's a stupid move.

@CoachX

we have seen Hartnell play well, He has some things that can't be taught like size and good hands. 

I totally get that when he's not scoring it really stands out, more so than when say Matt Read is not scoring.

Hartnell has been a 25/25 guy (roughly) for the Flyers and they don't grow on trees.  He  makes too much money to be scuffling along the way he is now and maybe he is a poor fit for Berube's skating style and i also understand your dislike of him. However there is no guarantee that he continues to play as poorly as he as so far this year.  He started pretty poorly the year he potted 37 goals so I'm not ready to throw him under the bus and pray he gets traded for a bag of pucks.

i don't think he's all that bad, clearly your mileage varies but that's all good.  Happy New Year!

I like Hartnell I really do... and as JMDodgers stated he is willing to play tough minutes in front of the net.  He is a calssy guy and does a lot for the community here in Philly and I think he really does enjoy Philly... it is not the player I dislike it is the contract.

Of anyone on this Team I want Hartnell to succeed b/c he is such a good guy.  

Absolutely... I think he is one of those rare professionals that actuall get "it"... 

So just give him 4th line duty a while till he picks it up or an injury...scratch Zac (40gms 1 wittle point -12) till he plays smarter and learns to be more effective. People give him a pass cause he's an enforcer but it's time to just roll four lines and try to climb in the standings and get away from goon hockey, besides that may mean less power plays for the other team he just isn't drawing penalties like he use to.

Raffl-Giroux-Jake

Schenn-VLC-SImmer

Read-Coots-Downie

Hartnell-Hall-Vand

Zac Rosehill

Kimmo/Coby

Streit/Gross

Schenn/Gus

Mezz Gill

I'm not certain it's possible due to many bodies but it should they could just waive Gill and send him to the minors.

• 11 months later...

Archived