Jimmy Howard olympic goalie? Yeah right

yave1964

Jimmy Howard seems to have a 2 position switch and it is currently stuck in the off position.....I gotta say there is no way he should even sniff the ice with the other US goalies available, Quick,Schneider,Bishop,Miller, or even Thomas make Howard an afterthought for Olympic Goalie.....

• Like 1

@yave1964

Agree, Even though this is just one game back, he just hasn't looked good all season.  The pressure will be on tomorrow for the Winter Classic.

Oh absolutely. In fantasy i am a buy low and sell high kind of guy and have thought about making a move for him in one of the leagues but after hearing your tale of woe of what he has done to your season i have backed off considerably and decided i can do much better elsewhere. o can the USA with the likes of Bishop.....

@yave1964

He was wretched last night. When a great goaltender returns from injury, you don't expect greatness. You DO expect adequacy. Adequate this was not. He lost that game for us. He knows it. The team knows it. Anyone who watched the game knows it.

The team will, predictably, stand behind him and blame this on after-injury cobwebs. But, seriously, it was like he should have played a game or two in GR first before returning. He was that bad.

I credit the man for having a longer press conference after the game and standing up and taking the blame. Some would have ducked. Howard did not. It can't exactly help his confidence though or his teams' in actually having to admit it. Until he can consistently show that he plays solid, it HAS TO change how his teammates play in front of him. Not a good thing.

His play continues to suggest that his contract could potentially be the one that the Wings choose to buy out after this season is over. And although Monster hasn't been perfect either, he has been mostly solid, which is far better than can be said for Howard this season. And although Mrazek has eaten a bit of humble pie since being called up, he hasn't looked worse than Howard looked last night.

I haven't seen any word on Monster's "injury." Anyone read if he is well enough to back up Howard in the WC?

• Like 1

Ben Bishop is healthy and playing well.... 

if the US wants to win they'll pick based upon what their eyes tell them and not a guy's reputation.

Taking Quick and or Howard just coming off an injury isn't fair to them or team USA, i don't care how good they "were"

Ben Bishop is healthy and playing well.... 

if the US wants to win they'll pick based upon what their eyes tell them and not a guy's reputation.

Taking Quick and or Howard just coming off an injury isn't fair to them or team USA, i don't care how good they "were"

Agree. You go with the hot hand. Right now, it appears to be Bishop. But Quick or even Thomas can get rolling and become brick walls. There's still a little more than a month, and a lot can change. I do not expect Howard to, though. He just hasn't been consistent enough this year to be considered to even chance a possible strong streak. No. I'd personally take Quick over Howard if I had to choose between those two, and I wouldn't blink doing it. I'm not a Jimmy Howard hater, but I call them like I see them, and right now he is just not realistically worthy of discussion with these other guys.

By the way, you're a lugnut.

Just sayin'   :)

Well, last night, he actually played like one. Been a while since I could say that. Wasn't bad at the Classic either. Hope it is a sign of things to come.

What an odd year, just hearing die hard Wings fans starting to clamour for the buy out of Jimmy Howard is shocking enough, but who woulda thought the Lundqvist would be this crappy....and just stay crappy...very strange year for a lot of goalies. Never ever thought Anderson would ever look this bad either....or having Quick be a non factor is another odd twist, even before the injury he was not tearing it up. Then you have Bob falling from grace after his break out year, weird stuff.

@SpikeDDS 

@jammer2

Howard was outstanding in Dallas!  Back to playoff form in my opinion.  The whole team looked real sharp too.  I think the Winter Classic hype and Jimmy finally having an Olympic decision one way or another has lifted a lot of weight from their shoulders.  Now they can get back to hockey.  The trick will be whether they can turn in a respectable showing against the California teams late this week.  They're spending a few days vacation in Phoenix which should help clear their minds a little further.  but if they can roll out four points out of six for this trip, I'd say they'll be primed for a big push in the standings.  They'll come back for a very competitive homestand with the likes of Chicago, St. Louis and Montreal all in one week.  It'll be exciting to watch, especially if they break out of their Joe Louis slump.  

Helm, Franzen, DeKeyeser and Datsyuk are all eyeing a return during this West Coast trip.

The season starts now!