Flyers goaltending

Claude Monet

What an unusual experience! Mason is great and heeter is playing fantastic in the A.

Totally. I can get use to this, it's nice not to have to cringe every time there is a break away or a tow on one that Mason is going to fight and give them a chance...i can only imagine what it would have been like the 2010 finals with Mason instead of Leighton.

Hope they sign him to a nice 2-3 year deal

They (Flyers) also had back to back shootout wins for the first time since 2006. 

And we know how horrible  they were at them with hYm in net!

And on the Phantoms not sure if you keep up with them or saw were i posted that in the shoutbox about Heeter's 1-0 and 4-0 shutouts friday and saturday, either way i try to keep up with them but only from what i read.

But it's nice to feel like the talent pools are swelling time will tell shortyly i'll feel better once we get at some when ever they are called up, it would be nice to see the bring one of them up instead of Rosehill.

Also i expect to see Stolarz , Laughton, Leier, also maybe Larsson and if he decides to forego his last year of college to sign with the Phantoms maybe Shayne Ghostisbehere (that is if the Flyers want to sign him yet.

So keep it coming.  :D 

So you're saying Homer has done a good and understated job as of late?

Yes, I'm sure Holmgrens master plan to acquire a legit goalie included signing and buying out Bryz to a 9 year contract, trading the eventual Vezina winner and then trading Leighton for the guy his plan actually revolved around. Well done Mr. Holmgren! You fooled the entire hockey universe.

So, no credit for restocking the farm at all? Got it. Negadelphia forever. Homer can do no good, and anything he does that might count is just luck.

We can give Homer all the credit in the world for "restocking the farm" but while doing so, also need to acknowledge the major mistakes made actually running the parent club.

"credit" flows both ways.

Wearing orange-coloured glasses while drinking Kool Aid is just as silly as unrepentant "negadelphia."

Also, for the record, flyercanuck is in "Ontario" which isn't quite part of the Philadelphia Metropolitan Area. And his point that, under the Master Plan, this would be Bryzgalov's third season of nine, making any "restocking of the farm" superfluous at best without the buyouts that came from losing half a season of hockey because GMs made stupid deals like that, remains valid.

That's "fact" - and the point that it is "negative" is secondary to the fact that it is true.

We can give Homer all the credit in the world for "restocking the farm" but while doing so, also need to acknowledge the major mistakes made actually running the parent club.

Wearing orange-coloured glasses while drinking Kool Aid is just as silly as unrepentant "negadelphia."

Also, for the record, flyercanuck is in "Ontario" which isn't quite part of the Philadelphia Metropolitan Area. And his point that, under the Master Plan, this would be Bryzgalov's third season of nine, making any "restocking of the farm" superfluous at best without the buyouts that came from losing half a season of hockey because GMs made stupid deals like that, remains valid.

That's "fact" - and the point that it is "negative" is secondary to the fact that it is true.

Negadelphia was an attitude last I checked.

Yes, credit floes both ways, and I never implied otherwise. It's not kool aid or orange sunglasses at all, I'm just not part of your group think condemning Homer for all of the franchise ails, while flat out dismissing anything that could be construed as something good. Sorry for trying to be positive about a few of the brighter spots, I'll let you resume your misery.

Down with Homer, Snider, tank for whoever is lighting up juniors now, win now, draft and develop, trade player X because he looks lazy/bust/useless regardless of development cycle or age since stats are the end all be all, and fire all former Flyers - all at the same time. Did I join your club now? :ph34r:

And rad, I'm not sure exactly what you have personally against me, but you never miss an opportunity. Are you still pissed about that Snider thread a while ago?

And rad, I'm not sure exactly what you have personally against me, but you never miss an opportunity. Are you still pissed about that Snider thread a while ago?

I can assure you I have absolutely nothing personal against you whatsoever. It's likely that you just have points that are frequently worth discussing :)

And if you can find a place where I have advocated "tanking" for someone in Junior or "win now" or "trade X for Y because X who we drafted is a bust" etc. - go ahead and show me. Because that's not been any of my commentary - ever.

It's not me who's made the trades of young players for a "win now" mentality. It's not me who blew up the team that went to the Finals to give it to a 35+ defenceman. It's not me who signed Bryzgalov to nine years with a NMC. It's not me who signed two guys in their mid-30s rather than allowing space for younger players to develop. It's not me who dealt away the #2 overall pick who scored 20 in his second season for a "shutdown defenseman". It's not me who went tilting at windmills wchasing two guys who said they didn't want to come here while letting two important cogs walk. It's not me who went chasing after a massive offer sheet for Weber. it's not me who signed Hartnell for six years and a NTC without any competition for his services.

In fact, I've been more on the "patience" side of things. I've said - specifically when it happened and again and again - that the Flyers got "better, younger and cheaper" with the trades of Crater/Richards, but that that involved taking a significant step backwards in the development of the team and would likely take time and patience to get back to the level they were at before. Rather than conflate the opinions of people who don't believe Homer has done a good job running the franchise, try addressing posters for what they've actually said.

My opinion about Homer's stewardship of the team is based on his actual performance. And any "credit" he gets for "restocking the organization" is tempered significantly by the fact that he created the mess in the first place.

He's made some good trades and made some good signings. And he's made some horrific decisions which remain anchors around the neck of the organization. For me, the latter outweighs the former.

Your mileage may vary.

I'll have you know that there is nothing wrong with Kool-Aid. It's sugary and delicious with a fun if highly intrusive mascot.

But yeah, you have to look at the good and the bad, and while Holmgren has done a good job getting young talent to the Flyers, at times he seems to trade/sign players without much of a conceivable direction...kind of like he's playing an EA Sports NHL game. See, this is yet another wonderful example of video games corrupting minds!

Still, if it works out I guess you can't complain too much.

Yes, I'm sure Holmgrens master plan to acquire a legit goalie included signing and buying out Bryz to a 9 year contract, trading the eventual Vezina winner and then trading Leighton for the guy his plan actually revolved around. Well done Mr. Holmgren! You fooled the entire hockey universe.

We're still complaining about Bob and his fluke season? Really?

So, no credit for restocking the farm at all? Got it. Negadelphia forever. Homer can do no good, and anything he does that might count is just luck.

Doom,

You have to admit that Homer lucked out on the Mason deal.   Negadelphia or not it was luck and the only reason Mason  came here is bc Bob was making far too much for a backup...    He traded away the eventual Vezina winner and signed a clinical loon to a laughably terrible contract.   I give him credit for not jumping the gun and trading the Team away this year but he completely lucked out w/ Mason.   For which I am very happy...

Take the bad with the good and the good with the bad.   People can criticize w/out being part of the overused and simplistic "Negadelphia" stereotype.

Edited by murraycraven
  • Like 1

I can assure you I have absolutely nothing personal against you whatsoever. It's likely that you just have points that are frequently worth discussing :)

And if you can find a place where I have advocated "tanking" for someone in Junior or "win now" or "trade X for Y because X who we drafted is a bust" etc. - go ahead and show me. Because that's not been any of my commentary - ever.

It's not me who's made the trades of young players for a "win now" mentality. It's not me who blew up the team that went to the Finals to give it to a 35+ defenceman. It's not me who signed Bryzgalov to nine years with a NMC. It's not me who signed two guys in their mid-30s rather than allowing space for younger players to develop. It's not me who dealt away the #2 overall pick who scored 20 in his second season for a "shutdown defenseman". It's not me who went tilting at windmills wchasing two guys who said they didn't want to come here while letting two important cogs walk. It's not me who went chasing after a massive offer sheet for Weber. it's not me who signed Hartnell for six years and a NTC without any competition for his services.

In fact, I've been more on the "patience" side of things. I've said - specifically when it happened and again and again - that the Flyers got "better, younger and cheaper" with the trades of Crater/Richards, but that that involved taking a significant step backwards in the development of the team and would likely take time and patience to get back to the level they were at before. Rather than conflate the opinions of people who don't believe Homer has done a good job running the franchise, try addressing posters for what they've actually said.

My opinion about Homer's stewardship of the team is based on his actual performance. And any "credit" he gets for "restocking the organization" is tempered significantly by the fact that he created the mess in the first place.

He's made some good trades and made some good signings. And he's made some horrific decisions which remain anchors around the neck of the organization. For me, the latter outweighs the former.

Your mileage may vary.

The list was more a collection of recent trends here, not all on you. I should have said so previously.

You don't have to rehash the bad side of Homer, it is very well documented here, and I know it too.

I just don't feel it is necessary to continue beating a deaf horse. As of late, Homer has added Raffl, replaced Lavy with Berube, moved Talbot for Downie, and kept the rest of the roster alone. Vandevelde has been a good fill in for injuries, and Hal Gill has allowed the AHL guys to stay down and hone their skills. For the current season, recent history that is, Homer has made good moves and avoided bad ones (early season panic type). I thought I was always framing this up as recent positive elements?

Doom,

You have to admit that Homer lucked out on the Mason deal. Negadelphia or not it was luck and the only reason Mason came here is bc Bob was making far too much for a backup... He traded away the eventual Vezina winner and signed a clinical loon to a laughably terrible contract. I give him credit for not jumping the gun and trading the Team away this year but he completely lucked out w/ Mason. For which I am very happy...

Take the bad with the good and the good with the bad. People can criticize w/out being part of the overused and simplistic "Negadelphia" stereotype.

Luck or not, he still made the move and it paid off. He took a risk and it rewarded him in the short run. There is nothing wrong with criticism, but some it recently is piling on. Nothing new or constructive whatsoever.

Bob, and Bryz for that matter, have been discussed ad nauseum here. The space cadet appeared to be Snider and maybe Lukko's fault, and Bob won the Vezina partially as a F U to Philly. Bear in mind, Bob was a UFA find, and Homer flipped him for assets. He also finally got rid of Michael ******* Leighton and turned the return to the potential long term solution in net. Somehow.

He also finally got rid of Michael ****** Leighton and turned the return to the potential long term solution in net. Somehow.

Agreed but Leighton should have NEVER been the backup to begin with.   I think Homer has done some very good things but he has made some very bad decisions as well.   I do think the Vezina thing was a bit of a "lightning in the bottle" situation.  I give him credit for acquiring Mason and for some very good moves.   He has made bad moves too...  

I am curious to see what happens at the deadline.   Does Homer make a move to try and really put this Team in a position to win now?   Or does he see this Team in a "growth" mode and keep this group together?  It will be interesting...

Yes, credit floes both ways, and I never implied otherwise. It's not kool aid or orange sunglasses at all, I'm just not part of your group think condemning Homer for all of the franchise ails, while flat out dismissing anything that could be construed as something good. Sorry for trying to be positive about a few of the brighter spots, I'll let you resume your misery

Don't worry guy you're not alone most here are just Homer haters and like you said all they dwell on is all the good moves he's made i however and a glass half full type of guy too, i am not happy with a lot of stuff Homer has done but there is a lot i see he is trying to do.

It all want always work out for you just like real life but people must speak their mind i guess and then just move on but yet many here still want that last swing at that dead horse that everyone has beaten to death years ago.

And many just can't say something nice it must be negative all the time. I'm so, so so exhausted commenting on this it's crazy. Homer has do some good and some not so good. 

But i find it easy to find something wrong harder to look at thing s and find something right. It's not right or wrong either way just people's outlook are different. But i'm here with ya to fight the good fight.... :ph34r:

Agreed but Leighton should have NEVER been the backup to begin with. I think Homer has done some very good things but he has made some very bad decisions as well. I do think the Vezina thing was a bit of a "lightning in the bottle" situation. I give him credit for acquiring Mason and for some very good moves. He has made bad moves too...

I am curious to see what happens at the deadline. Does Homer make a move to try and really put this Team in a position to win now? Or does he see this Team in a "growth" mode and keep this group together? It will be interesting...

The only reason Leaky was the backup, in my unfounded suspicion, was an attempt to ease the headcase that was Bryzaster. He already had to look behind himself to find the puck, why see a potential threat to starting too? If it worked and Bryz turned into the goalie some hoped he would be, this actually would have ended up a good move. I need to throw up now.

Also, don't forget that Lavy ****ed all of this up with the three ring circus in the playoff net - blowing Bob's waiver exemption in the process. THAT, was a humongous big mistake, and should have been a fireable offense. Imagine if Homer had the option to send Bob directly to the AHL, instead of being forced to trade him?

• Like 2

I just don't feel it is necessary to continue beating a deaf horse. As of late, Homer has added Raffl, replaced Lavy with Berube, moved Talbot for Downie, and kept the rest of the roster alone. Vandevelde has been a good fill in for injuries, and Hal Gill has allowed the AHL guys to stay down and hone their skills. For the current season, recent history that is, Homer has made good moves and avoided bad ones (early season panic type). I thought I was always framing this up as recent positive elements?

There really isn't a bigger dead horse than "Negadelphia" is there?

I like the moves you cite, but they are really marginal and incremental on the face of it. Raffl was a good no-risk pickup. Talbot for Downie has obviously paid dividends. I am less sanguine on the Lavy/Berube move, as it was Homer's decision to keep Lavy over the summer and then fire him seven days into the season. If the team doesn't start out 1-7, they would likely be better than 5th/7th at this point (two points out of 10th).

Essentially, I'd be happier with the forward steps if they weren't so often overcome by two backwards... As such, I'm less inclined to celebrate the forward step, while acknowledging that it was, in fact, forward.

Absolutely nothing personal about it at all.

Also, don't forget that Lavy ****ed all of this up with the three ring circus in the playoff net - blowing Bob's waiver exemption in the process. THAT, was a humongous big mistake, and should have been a fireable offense. Imagine if Homer had the option to send Bob directly to the AHL, instead of being forced to trade him?

OK, not to "jump on you" here - but the General Manager is responsible for player personnel moves. If Homer didn't want Bob to play up his exemption, he didn't have to let him.

And if that was a "fireable offense" then I do think we need to keep in mind who's "offense" it was (I've been a HUGE critic of Lavy's handling of goalies throughout). And that that same person who allowed Bob's exemption to expire KEPT the guy who made the "humongous mistake" until eight games into the season after that mistake before firing him.

It's easy to blame the guy that isn't here any more, but there is a HUGE reflection of the guy who is still here making personnel decisions.

That's not "negadelphia" - that's, again, fact.

That all said, I do think that Mason is going to be better long-term for the Flyers than Bobrovsky.

What could Homer have done this season instead that would satisfy you? Those marginal and incremental moves not only worked, but retained overall roster consistency. Dare I say, he did exactly what was needed and nothing more (in a good way).