G not on Olympic Team Canada...wow

Freddy Fog

Yeah, Kunitz is ridiculous.   

If Sidney Crosby can't put on his big boy pants and play without Kunitz, then he's really not the great player people claim.   I actually think he is, so put a better player with him at the Olympics and leave Tim McCarver home.

• Like 3

enter Polaris and B21... times yours guys!

LOL  Seriously, though.   It's one thing on the Pens where you have cap and long term contracts and all that.  Kunitz is a good wingman for Crosby.  But at the Olympics where none of that is a concern and you want the best, Kunitz does NOT belong.   And Crosby would not miss a beat, I don't think.

Yeah, Kunitz is ridiculous.   

If Sidney Crosby can't put on his big boy pants and play without Kunitz, then he's really not the great player people claim.   I actually think he is, so put a better player with him at the Olympics and leave Tim McCarver home.

Hey, now that's a little low Rux, you KNOW those Scobby Doo pullups are hard to get over the hips.

I'll defend the Kunitz pick only in the fact that they have a chemistry going that they don't have to build in a limited number of practices.  Other than that, he can't be used other than with Crosby, or on the PK.

LOL  Seriously, though.   It's one thing on the Pens where you have cap and long term contracts and all that.  Kunitz is a good wingman for Crosby.  But at the Olympics where none of that is a concern and you want the best, Kunitz does NOT belong.   And Crosby would not miss a beat, I don't think.

Completely agree Rux... Kunitz does not belong there...  This will be a great post once the Pens guys start chiming in!

Anotherr funny one:  G is out and Carter is in!  Oh boy...

Let's hope this really lights a fire under his ass and he becomes "the best player in the world."

Honestly, I am not that surprised with the way he started the season.  If Ryan can be left off of USA anything can happen.

I'm gonna go with what I said to Jsaq on twitter - if being the captain of an NHL franchise with a long-term, high-paying deal isn't enough motivation for him, nothing will be.

Do recall that Giroux is a "center" while Kunitz is a "wing". if I'm MSL, I'm a little disappointed they went with Kunitz.

If I'm Giroux, you've got Tavares, Toews, Crosby, Getzlaf, Bergeron - who do you leave off for Giroux?

Now looking at it, Canada's going to have something like 27 centers - Duchene, Crater...

Quite frankly, I'm happy that the Flyers are going to be somewhat rested and ready for a playoff run.

• Like 1

I'll defend the Kunitz pick only in the fact that they have a chemistry going that they don't have to build in a limited number of practices.  Other than that, he can't be used other than with Crosby, or on the PK.

Completely agree on both counts.   But I think it's a bit of an insult to the best player in the world to think he needs to have BooBoo with him to be good.  I leave him off.   

• Like 1

Completely agree on both counts.   But I think it's a bit of an insult to the best player in the world to think he needs to have BooBoo with him to be good.  I leave him off.   

Yeah, if you can put Pascal Dupuis on pace for a 30 or 40 goal season, it really doesn't matter who he plays with.  But heck, Kunitz is on pace for a 40 goal season on Crosby's wing.

Well, to be fair to Kunitz, he *does* have 47 points. Whether or not that is solely the product of playing with Crosby, it shouldn't really matter. Right now, he's near the top of the NHL in points and goals, and he's got 20+ in the last 4 seasons with the Pens (including the lockout season). Plus, as @nossagog says, there's a built in chemistry. As a Canadian, I much prefer having Crosby play with his natural winger in Kunitz over just about anyone else. It's such a short tournament, and they really don't have many practices together.

It's like including Getzlaf and Perry, or Kane and Toews (if they were both Canadian). 

I would leave off Nash, Bergeron, and Carter before Kunitz. I also think Giroux would be a better pick than those three, but not a better pick than Kunitz given the circumstances.

Per Bob McKenzie...Giroux was called personally by Stevie and is thought of as a possible first replacement guy should Stammer not be ready or another regular go down before the Olympics. So, Giroux might have a bit more bite to his check if he sees Nash or Bergeron on the sweater before contact....lol.

Geez, Logan Couture, Claude Giroux, Marty St.Louis, Eric Stall, James Neal....some wickedly good players left off.

Well, it will go one of 3 ways as I see it...

1) - It demoralizes G ( I doubt this)

2) - It lights a fire under him and theres a big chip on his shoulder.

3) - Or he gets called up as a replacement because of injury. Kinda insulting if you ask me but.....

Now at the risk of ticking off any of our friends north of the border I will say the while Canada has always been the 2nd team I root for , this year I kinda hope they crash and burn. Some humility (WJC anyone?) will do them some good. There are 3-4 players hands down that should be on that team over some of those named.

I love Cananda but question SY as the manager. They likely will win gold anyway.

I may be in the minority, but I don't get the outcry for leaving G out. His play has been largely inconsistent this year. How quickly people forget that we here complained unstoppably how lackadaisical he was on defense, his poor fore-checking, and missed opportunities. If we, fans, noticed all these issues, what makes you believe people in charge of putting the best national team together would overlook this?

If he has *any* pride, he will get his **** together and will start giving consistent effort game in an out, like he used to, and like he is expected to. This is by far his most disappointing season in the NHL. He may still rack up points statistically, but his play has a lot to be desired.

But I agree, the decision to have Kunitz is ridiculous. There are far better players who were left off.

Edited by Mad Dog
  • Like 2

Geez, Logan Couture, Claude Giroux, Marty St.Louis, Eric Stall, James Neal....some wickedly good players left off

And Jagr said that not all the best players from Cananda can make the team and that's true but even if G was STILL left of the team no one can tell me that atleast on of your mentioned players should not have made the team. Not ONE of them? Almost as confusing as Ryan not making it....

Well, it will go one of 3 ways as I see it...

1) - It demoralizes G ( I doubt this)

2) - It lights a fire under him and theres a big chip on his shoulder.

3) - Or he gets called up as a replacement because of injury. Kinda insulting if you ask me but.....

Now at the risk of ticking off any of our friends north of the border I will say the while Canada has always been the 2nd team I root for , this year I kinda hope they crash and burn. Some humility (WJC anyone?) will do them some good. There are 3-4 players hands down that should be on that team over some of those named.

I love Cananda but question SY as the manager. They likely will win gold anyway.

In case you haven't noticed...it's been a few years since we won gold at the WJs. 

It sucks for him, but I'm kinda happy about it. Let him get some rest. Save himself for the NHL (and the playoffs).

Im trying to say that myself, so long as he doesn't get rusty or anything....

And as an aside, I'm not down on Canada, just don't like the decisions they made. I know G struggled but there WERE clear cut reasons why and anyone watching knows G is close to being back to where we thought he should have been. There are hot and cold streaks so what I say is that while we cant go on what he could have done which would be about a 96 point season had he not gone golfing it does show that even after a horrendous start he is probably gonna get 70 some points if not crack 80.... I think that taken in its complete context is Olympic worthy.