G not on Olympic Team Canada...wow

Freddy Fog

You think? I don't think it's that tough to swallow. Two years in a row now he really struggled out of the gate.

I'm sorry, but I throw last year out as far as Im concerned. Easy for a Flyers fan to say when they didn't make the playoffs. But EVERYONE and EVERY record from last year has an asterix next to it. It was just a bitter screwed up year in which no one can judge a full body of work.

Im trying to say that myself, so long as he doesn't get rusty or anything....

And as an aside, I'm not down on Canada, just don't like the decisions they made. I know G struggled but there WERE clear cut reasons why and anyone watching knows G is close to being back to where we thought he should have been. There are hot and cold streaks so what I say is that while we cant go on what he could have done which would be about a 96 point season had he not gone golfing it does show that even after a horrendous start he is probably gonna get 70 some points if not crack 80.... I think that taken in its complete context is Olympic worthy.

I don't think there are many people who would say that Giroux isn't "Olympic-worthy" - it's just that Canada has more than 25 "Olympic-worthy" athletes and some are going to be left off.

I don't see G's omission as being as big as the Ryan omission was for the USA, to be honest. For me, it's purely a numbers thing.

I'm sorry, but I throw last year out as far as Im concerned. Easy for a Flyers fan to say when they didn't make the playoffs. But EVERYONE and EVERY record from last year has an asterix next to it. It was just a bitter screwed up year in which no one can judge a full body of work.

I don't care for shortened seasons either, but you can't just ignore them because you don't like em. You're talking to me about a player's full body of work and want to completely disregard a portion of it because you don't like it.

Even if they did ignore it - and I'm doubting Team Canada did - Giroux still struggled out of the gate this year. Olympic teams are essentially all-star teams and they can be based on who is hot right now.

I don't care for shortened seasons either, but you can't just ignore them because you don't like em. You're talking to me about a player's full body of work and want to completely disregard a portion of it because you don't like it.

Even if they did ignore it - and I'm doubting Team Canada did - Giroux still struggled out of the gate this year. Olympic teams are essentially all-star teams and they can be based on who is hot right now.

Judging a full body of work is just that, NOT a portion as you say. Now, Who is hot right now? G is one of the hottest players in the league, right now... Not last year, not 2 months ago. Right now...

Edited by idahophilly
  • Like 1

Look at stats....so Giroux WAS having a bad year and we are soley basing these picks on this year??   You see the point totals of some of guys that were picked?  Simmonds has more pts then Nash.  If some players are being picked on what they have done in the past, which seems to be the case,  then why is Giroux not on the team?  Why is Bergeron automatically on every team?   Seems like some guys are held to different standards.

also, a short season DOES scew everything. Some guys had to train on their own, some went to Europe, some couldnt because of insurance and contract issues and still others like Hartnell played a charity game or two. And these guys are ALWAYS gonna have a "but" followed by a "because" on any accomplishments they made because THEY know it wasnt an even playing field...

Judging a full body of work is just that, NOT a portion as you say. Now, Who is hot right now? G is one of the hottest players in the league, right now... Not last year, not 2 months ago. Right now...

The picks were already made at that point though. He played poorly for too long. He really was having a bad year until not that long ago.

I don't know why people care to be honest. Olympic hockey is fun to watch because it's basically an all star tournament, but I don't really care who wins. I care more about the Flyers doing something than I do team USA.

Edited by fanaticV3.0

I blame Crosby.

He probably refused to show up if Giroux was there.

Sigh....old hatreds.

Can't we all just....get along?

...on second thought, that would be so boring. Can you imagine how bad video games would be if there was World Peace? I shudder to think of it.

Edited by Commander Clueless
  • Like 2

You can just feel the anti-Pens venom dripping from the fangs of the Flyers fans, eh @Polaris922 and @nossgog? ;)

I can understand the uproar over Giroux being left off but for God's sake can we not blame Crosby for the selection of Kunitz?  Unless of course one of the mudslingers has proof that Crosby demanded Kunitz be included?

Also - it's not Kunitz that kept Giroux off team Canada.  If the issue is really about Giroux being snubbed (and not Kunitz making it) then be pissed about the snub for the likes of Jeff Carter or Rick Nash.

Pens fans could be just as upset about Neal being snubbed for the likes of Nash or Carter, too.

Only two Canadaian-born wingers have scored more goals than Kunitz over the last 3 years...and one of them is James Neal.

In the words of Team Canada executive director Steve Yzerman, here’s why Penguins winger Chris Kunitz made the Olympic roster over the likes of Claude Giroux, Logan Couture and the captain of Yzerman’s own Tampa Bay Lightning, Martin St. Louis:

“Chris Kunitz has been an outstanding player throughout his career, is a Stanley Cup champion, played for me in the 2008 World Championships in Quebec and Halifax and was a very good player on that team. He’s virtually been in the playoffs every year, so we haven’t had the opportunity to bring him to other world championships.

“He’s played extremely well. He’s a hard-nosed player. He’s a skilled player. Yes, he plays with Sidney Crosby, and he’s been a great contributor not only to that line, but to his team — whether it be five-on-five or on the power play.

“The question that a lot of people have asked is, is Chris Kunitz being helped by Sidney Crosby? They help each other and he’s a tremendous player, and ultimately we asked ourselves the question, on his own does he belong on this team, and our answer was, yes, he belongs on this team.”

@B21

In fairness to Carter, he is having a very good season.  What surprises me about him this year is aside from just pure production (he never had much of a problem scoring goals), his tenacity and commitment to play both ends of the ice has markedly improved.  I haven't seen much of it when he was here in Philladelphia.  I'd say this was well deserved inclusion by team Canada.

I blame Crosby.

He probably refused to show up if Giroux was there.

Sigh....old hatreds.

Can't we all just....get along?

...on second thought, that would be so boring. Can you imagine how bad video games would be if there was World Peace? I shudder to think of it.

Those First Person Feeder games are never going to be popular...

• Like 1

Crosby , Stamkos, Towes , Tavarese  really i don't see where Giroux will get minutes.

although on my Giroux rookie card is does say RW, so there's that.

Good for Kunitz, i hope he makes the most of this opportunity.  he has been playing well for so long as he's been on 87's wing.

i like the inclusion of Duschene and Benn as well as Subban

i don't see any one raising a stink about Sharp being on the team, and he is Toews linemate ...

i hope the tournament is exciting and this way i don't have to worry about split allegiances when team USA and Canada square off.

@commander clueless

brilliant ! 

@b21

there is no way Stevie is going to say "I don't know what the hell i was thinking by including Chris, really , me and Babs were ****** around with the roster in November and I guess we just forgot to take his name off"  of course he's going to pump the tires for what i'm sure is a decision that will be 40th guessed if Canada doesn't win gold. 

Edited by mojo1917

@B21

In fairness to Carter, he is having a very good season.  What surprises me about him this year is aside from just pure production (he never had much of a problem scoring goals), his tenacity and commitment to play both ends of the ice has markedly improved.  I haven't seen much of it when he was here in Philladelphia.  I'd say this was well deserved inclusion by team Canada.

Well yeah - but lots of guys are having "good" years. I don't mean to sound bitter that Neal was left off - I am not at all.  If nothing else, it's one more Penguin who can use the break to rest.

But compare...

Carter:  33 GP / 15 G / 11 A / +6

Neal:   24 GP / 16 G / 18 A / +6

And that's with a revolving door of players on the Pens' second line (i.e. - the Crosby/Kunitz argument doesn't fly for Malkin/Neal).

@b21

there is no way Stevie is going to say "I don't know what the hell i was thinking by including Chris, really , me and Babs were ****** around with the roster in November and I guess we just forgot to take his name off"  of course he's going to pump the tires for what i'm sure is a decision that will be 40th guessed if Canada doesn't win gold. 

I think Yzerman means it thought.  If he didn't think Kunitz was deserving, he wouldn't be on the team.

Giroux's ommission from the team gives me every reason not to root for team Canada.

USA USA USA

:D    :)     :D

See, for me, even if St. Louis (fellow UVM alum) was on the team, I have no "split allegiances" or "rooting interest" in Canada.

I'm pulling for USA first and then Finland second. If USA plays Finland, I'm on Team USA's side.

Having "a Flyer" on a team doesn't give me any interest in rooting for them.

That said, my pecking order of rooting interests:

USA

Finland

Czech

Austria

Slovakia

Norway

Switzerland

Latvia

Slovenia

Russia

Canada

Sweden

The last two are kind of a toss-up :D

Giroux's ommission from the team gives me every reason not to root for team Canada.

USA USA USA

:D    :)     :D

I'm going Finland (Jussi and Olli). A World Juniors/Olympic Games double.

Suomi!  Suomi! Suomi!

• Like 1

I think maybe I look at this a bit more simplisticly than most around here:  GIROUX DID NOT DESERVE TO MAKE THE TEAM.  PERIOD!  Until the past few weeks Giroux was frankly one of our worst players on the ice.  He has rebounded but I am not sure why this is such a big deal.   Better players of this year and last year were given the green light.  

If he played like an 8M dollar player over the course of the last year and this year he would have made it.   Am I slightly surprised - yes.  I am not shocked whatsoever...

That said, my pecking order of rooting interests:

USA

Finland

Czech

Austria
Slovakia
Norway

Switzerland
Latvia
Slovenia
Russia
Canada
Sweden

I usually root for team Sweden equally with Finland and Canada and Switzerland.  But this year Canada can drop to the bottom of my ranks just above my least favorite team Russia.

I think maybe I look at this a bit more simplisticly than most around here:  GIROUX DID NOT DESERVE TO MAKE THE TEAM.  PERIOD!  Until the past few weeks Giroux was frankly one of our worst players on the ice.  He has rebounded but I am not sure why this is such a big deal.   Better players of this year and last year were given the green light.  

If he played like an 8M dollar player over the course of the last year and this year he would have made it.   Am I slightly surprised - yes.  I am not shocked whatsoever...

However when it comes down to Carter making the team and Giroux not..... I am shocked. 

Giroux doesn't make 8M yet. ;)

• Like 1