G not on Olympic Team Canada...wow

Freddy Fog

hf... I think if you look at Carter over the same time period as I stated he prob deserves it more than Giroux.

why?

Carter 33pts in 12/13

Giroux 48pts in 12/13

Carter 26pts in 13/14 thusfar

Giroux 38pts in 13/14 thusfar

why?

Carter 33pts in 12/13

Giroux 48pts in 12/13

Carter 26pts in 13/14 thusfar

Giroux 38pts in 13/14 thusfar

Well, you have to look past just production.  Yes, points mean a lot, but frankly, Carter is playing better than Giroux this year.  I have seen quite a bit of games LA played this year, and what I am seing is a different - I would even say re-born - Jeff Carter.  Like I said in a different post to B21, he is skating harder, checks, plays very responsbily defensively... in otehr words, what I am seing is a full package.  I guess Darryl Sutter really squeezed the most out of him. which is what the coaches here were unable to do.  And I am sure this is something that the scouts for Team Canada saw as well.  You have to be blind not to see this.  You can't ignore it.  Giroux, by contrast, untill only a few weeks ago, was having a frustrating season. 

Edited by Mad Dog
  • Like 1

Well, you have to look past just production.  Yes, points mean a lot, but frankly, Carter is playing better than Giroux this year.  I have seen quite a bit of games LA played this year, and what I am seing is a different - I would even say re-born - Jeff Carter.  Like I said in a different post to B21, he is skating harder, checks, plays very responsbily defensively... in otehr words, what I am seing is a full package.  I guess Darryl Sutter really squeezed the most out of him. which is what the coaches here were unable to do.  And I am sure this is something that the scouts for Team Canada saw as well.  You have to be blind not to see this.  You can't ignore it.  Giroux, by contrast, untill only a few weeks ago, was having a frustrating season. 

fair point, but prior to this year Giroux played regular shifts on the PK as well.  The only reason why I think Carter was chosen over Giroux is Carter is a better winger.  Giroux wouldn't center a line with the likes of Toews, Crosby, Getzlaf and Bergeron allready chosen.

Giroux's current season did him in, and understandably. Though I too can see grounds for argument over certain players, his abysmal start didn't help.

Kunitz has been top or near the top in plus/minus a few years running now. As @B21 pointed out 3rd in scoring by a Canadian winger, and busts his ass every shift. The man has done so night in and night out DESPITE Crosby missing a lot of the games in that same period. So really? The best you Pens haters can do to discredit a man who has actually earned the spot with more work than reputation is say its Crosby that did it for him?? Kunitz has 240 games the past four years where Crosby has 179. Kunitz also was scoring 20+ goals in his early years as a winger for the Ducks. He's hard nosed, hard hitting, and clean as can be.

Maybe the man just earned it?

Thanks to the Flyers fans who've recognized that here.

• Like 2

Those First Person Feeder games are never going to be popular...

I'm personally stoked for God of Peace and DICE's new Charityfield franchise.

I think they may have just let Crosby pick the team, so Giroux was probably somewhere between Jay Rosehill and Colton Orr on the pecking order.

Edited by Commander Clueless
  • Like 1

I really don't care since I honestly won't be watching. I can't say specifically why but I just snooze with international hockey. And I'm pretty much bored by the Olympics altogether.

It's not a big deal that Kunitz is on the team, but I think there are better options. And "he wouldn't be there if SY didn't think he should be" really says nothing to me.

But I actually think Nash is A worse pick. What has this guy done? I mean, really?

Lucic, Couture, or Giroux go on my team before him.

And I'm fine with Giroux not being on it. Some rest could do him good and he flatly wasn't good last year or the beginning of this. He doesn't deserve it.

• Like 1

I really don't care since I honestly won't be watching. I can't say specifically why but I just snooze with international hockey. And I'm pretty much bored by the Olympics altogether.

It's not a big deal that Kunitz is on the team, but I think there are better options. And "he wouldn't be there if SY didn't think he should be" really says nothing to me.

But I actually think Nash is A worse pick. What has this guy done? I mean, really?

Lucic, Couture, or Giroux go on my team before him.

And I'm fine with Giroux not being on it. Some rest could do him good and he flatly wasn't good last year or the beginning of this. He doesn't deserve it.

Nash was a beast in 2010. My guess is that had something to do with his selection. Lucic would be a huge liability in the Olympics, no way would I want him if I was rooting for Canada. Couture is injured and scheduled for surgery.

It's not an all-star squad where you pick the 20 or so best players. I'll be completely honest, I'm not sure that I see what Giroux would bring that would really increase Canada's chances of winning a medal. They have plenty of offensive talent and he's not going to help them defensively. Sure, I could see him playing wing with Crosby or Toews, but would the chemistry be there?

The two biggest surprises to me are no Yandle for the USA and no Semin for Russia. No Ryan for USA is a close third.

Edited by JackStraw
  • Like 1

fair point, but prior to this year Giroux played regular shifts on the PK as well.  The only reason why I think Carter was chosen over Giroux is Carter is a better winger.  Giroux wouldn't center a line with the likes of Toews, Crosby, Getzlaf and Bergeron allready chosen.

The crazy thing about that is that Giroux has only been a center for, at most, three seasons and I'm pretty sure his first extended time at Center was between Jagr and Hartnell in 11-12.

Crater was drafted as a center and has played the majority of his career there. I do think he's played a little more wing in LA.

Yeah, you gotta figure Crosby centers Kunitz and Getzlaf centers Perry. Does anyone see G as a 3rd or 4th line center for Team Canada over Toews, Bergeron, Stamkos, Tavares??

When it comes down to wings, I'd take MSL over Giroux five times out of four at this point in their careers...

• Like 1

@Podein25  I agree 100% Pods, good ol frosty tips should not be there, there is no statistical basis for it, and just cause he can fly in the open ice should not give him a Olympic ticket. I guaran-damn-tee Mr. one dimensional will fire off a few high and wides that go for odd man rushes the other way....he knows no other way!

Surprised Hall did not get a mention, his blazing speed is perfect for sochi, and what....41 pts in 39 games is not good enough for a youngster these days?  To a lesser extent, even Seguin should have been at least mentioned....although I put Eric Stall, G and St.Louis in line before  the kids....even Neal.

Nash was a beast in 2010. My guess is that had something to do with his selection. Lucic would be a huge liability in the Olympics, no way would I want him if I was rooting for Canada. Couture is injured and scheduled for surgery.

It's not an all-star squad where you pick the 20 or so best players. I'll be completely honest, I'm not sure that I see what Giroux would bring that would really increase Canada's chances of winning a medal. They have plenty of offensive talent and he's not going to help them defensively. Sure, I could see him playing wing with Crosby or Toews, but would the chemistry be there?

The two biggest surprises to me are no Yandle for the USA and no Semin for Russia. No Ryan for USA is a close third.

First of all, Couture was news to me, which particularly sucks since he's on my damn fantasy team!

Second. You had to go back to 2010 to tell me what a beast Nash was? Seriously? I'm sorry, but I get why that gets him on the team in 2010. What does that have to do with 2014? The guy is one of the most overrated players in the league. GIROUX had a good 2010 too. And I'm not even lobbying for Giroux. I understand this is not an all-star team. That's another reason Nash doesn't belong.

I'm not sure what you're referring to with Lucic. Skating? Overblown. He's still a better choice than Nash.

Again, I really don't care and it's not a travesty, but there were several better choices IMO

Oh and you've got offense. What Giroux would bring that Nash doesn't is that addition to the fact he's just a better playmaker, he'd get you another option on the penalty kill. This isn't an all-star game... They do call penalties

@ruxpin  While I do agree with you in principal on Nash, I think one of the main reasons he was included was his ability to take the puck to the net hard. Even though he has less than stellar stats, that move of his, fending off the d-man with a stiff arm while blowing by with amazing top flight speed, that is an area Canada is lacking. He did score 2 goals exactly like that in Vancouver, and I think his roof job in tight is one of the best in the game. He brings elements that other players don't. Very hard to defend those kinds of moves with that kind of strength and skating ability.

• Like 1

Can't I just say yzerman is a prick who hated the flyers ever since the rumors of homer making stamkos an offer surfaced?

G might go with Stamkos coming back from injury. I don't know about Stevie Yackass but I'd rather have a guy who is settling into a groove than a guy rusty coming off injury even if he technically has the ability to skate.

Of course as a flyers fan and a fan of team USA ( bit relatively futile in recent decades) I prefer G not risking hurting himself.

@ruxpin While I do agree with you in principal on Nash, I think one of the main reasons he was included was his ability to take the puck to the net hard. Even though he has less than stellar stats, that move of his, fending off the d-man with a stiff arm while blowing by with amazing top flight speed, that is an area Canada is lacking. He did score 2 goals exactly like that in Vancouver, and I think his roof job in tight is one of the best in the game. He brings elements that other players don't. Very hard to defend those kinds of moves with that kind of strength and skating ability.

I don't think there's any conspiracy regarding Giroux.   First, Stamkos goes before Giroux in my book no matter what.   Giroux has played well the last 25 games or so, but he was completely invisible for over a season.   If I'm picking the best, that's enough to keep him off. 

JackStraw is probably at least right about that.    He doesn't bring anything unique that isn't already on the team.  I thought they'd likely take them as their 3rd or 4th RW (not a center.  He doesn't sniff a spot at center, IMO).  But for me, if  he went it was going to be "oh, and we'll also take Giroux."

If he gets on as an alternate due to injury, he should consider himself lucky, not insulted. 

But it's not about Crosby not liking Giroux or SY hating the Flyers or anything like that.   They went with other priorities.

@jammer2  Good post about Nash.   You're probably right.   I still don't take him but he does provide at least that different element.

Staal is hurt ...ish. Which can be enough to make a tough choice easier.

Stamkos though bugs me. Stevie Y is kissing his butt. There's no decent expectation the guy is healthy or in game shape.

You want people who can skate and stick handle around on all the extra ice and D men who can thread passes through the increased empty spaces.

Giroux SHOULD be there. It's a dumb move. But I'm glad he's not.

Some posited that the Olympics may have taken their toll on Timmo, Pronger and Richards by the end of the season 4 years ago.

God knows the two former we're taking lazy ass penalties in the finals and Richie seemed to slow down a bit too as many have noted over the years.

I'd go as far as to say Keith and Seabrook were a little soft that series too, though my theory falls apart a tad with Toews and Kane.

@Podein25 I agree 100% Pods, good ol frosty tips should not be there, there is no statistical basis for it, and just cause he can fly in the open ice should not give him a Olympic ticket. I guaran-damn-tee Mr. one dimensional will fire off a few high and wides that go for odd man rushes the other way....he knows no other way!

Surprised Hall did not get a mention, his blazing speed is perfect for sochi, and what....41 pts in 39 games is not good enough for a youngster these days? To a lesser extent, even Seguin should have been at least mentioned....although I put Eric Stall, G and St.Louis in line before the kids....even Neal.

Nash does not belon on team Canada.

Apparently G's slow start is what pushes yzerman to reject him which is in a word Idiotic.

Dude's playing well now and quite obviously leading his team.

It makes very little sense as far as I'm concerned. I expect G to out the hurt on Stamkos when next we play the bolts.

Btw, Stamkos making the team is idiotic being that he is comin off a serious fracture and hasn't played in two months, but hey, yzerman is nothing if not consistent.

Shame of it is, the Canadians are still too good to lose.

First of all, Couture was news to me, which particularly sucks since he's on my damn fantasy team!

Second. You had to go back to 2010 to tell me what a beast Nash was? Seriously? I'm sorry, but I get why that gets him on the team in 2010. What does that have to do with 2014? The guy is one of the most overrated players in the league. GIROUX had a good 2010 too. And I'm not even lobbying for Giroux. I understand this is not an all-star team. That's another reason Nash doesn't belong.

I'm not sure what you're referring to with Lucic. Skating? Overblown. He's still a better choice than Nash.

Again, I really don't care and it's not a travesty, but there were several better choices IMO

The fact that it isn't an all star game is key.

And i guess Stevie knows this afterall because that yzerdork chose Carter over Giroux too.

Carter's having a fairly meh season. Richards is ourt producing him and Giroux is kicking both their asses.

I would take either Richards or Giroux over Carter any day for their PK and playmaking ability that Carter simply doesn't possess. Even if you

Move them to wing, either one is a far more versatile and effective player.

Even As a finisher carter is pretty weak right now this season.

WTF is wrong with yzerman?

I mean they'll still win, but really, carter? Simmonds is outplaying him this year.

Oh and you've got offense. What Giroux would bring that Nash doesn't is that addition to the fact he's just a better playmaker, he'd get you another option on the penalty kill. This isn't an all-star game... They do call penalties

Jeff Carter made the team. Explain to me how Giroux's crappy first 14 games makes sense out of that and I'll start to consider the idea that Crosby isn't a factor.

Whether or not Crosby actually said something -which I doubt- or yzerman just took it upon himself.

And as a GM I agree I Stamkos under normal circumstances, but the guy has been out for a long time. I wouldn't bank on him being able to skate that we'll yet let alone be in game shape.

And I don't think Giroux would be move to tears if yzerman told him there was still a chance. He ain't going. Yzerman is taking a risk on Stamkos.

But it's not about Crosby not liking Giroux or SY hating the Flyers or anything like that. They went with other priorities.

@jammer2 Good post about Nash. You're probably right. I still don't take him but he does provide at least that different element.

Nash does not belon on team Canada.

Apparently G's slow start is what pushes yzerman to reject him which is in a word Idiotic.

Dude's playing well now and quite obviously leading his team.

It makes very little sense as far as I'm concerned. I expect G to out the hurt on Stamkos when next we play the bolts.

Btw, Stamkos making the team is idiotic being that he is comin off a serious fracture and hasn't played in two months, but hey, yzerman is nothing if not consistent.

Shame of it is, the Canadians are still too good to lose.

Huh?  Don't agree with that at all, a rusty Stamkos is still better than anyone not named Sidney. Stammer is so gifted there would have been riots in Canada had he been left off. We are talking about a generational star, a top 5 hockey player in the world....most deadly shot since Mike Bossy graced the ice....he makes it no questions asked.

Giroux just isn't consistent or good enough. I'm a little surprised with Kunitz over Neal, but the Crosby factor does make sense.

Skill wise, I honestly believe Giroux is one of Canada's top 12 forwards. I don't even think it was the early season slump, that happens to best of them....it was the way he handled the slump and how he seemed to take shifts and nights off...it reeked of unprofessionalsim and gives off a "me before the team" type of aura...that's one of the real reason he is not going to Sochi.