Miller and Ott going no where

Buffalo Rick

There is no reason for the Sabres to let Miller or Ott get away.  For God's sake, Vanek is gone and they are the two best players we have.  Moulson and Hodgeson and Erhoff likely next.  They have alot of picks to work with and will trade some and use some.  First the GM.  Nothing will happen until a GM is hired.  

I'd rather keep them than trade them, but unless they commit to the team by re-signing, the Sabres simply can't let both walk away and get nothing for them.

Sabres have given Ehrhoff $13M in signing bonuses and $18M total in the past two seasons. They are not going to trade him unless the return is astronomical and the player's NMC/modified NTC makes that all but impossible.

Hodgson, aside from being injured at the moment, was the team's top scorer when he went down, is 23 and is signed for five more years at a reasonable $4.25M cap hit. What on Earth would make the Sabres trade him if they are going with a "youth movement"??

Moulson? Sure. Get what you can.

This situation puts the Sabres in a pretty tight bind.   Without a GM making decisions, I can't see anything happening before the Olympics, but that's almost too late, they need to either be working on a contract for Miller NOW, or working on a trade.  If they don't get anything done in the next few weeks, the Olympic break will be here and they'll have to wait until just before the trade deadline. They cannot afford to let him go past the trade deadline without a solid plan in place for him, lest they lose him for nothing in the off season.

I think the Sabres would love to keep Miller around(not sure why you're so hot on Ott H.J., veteran presence? Grit and determiniation only get you so far) but Miller's got to feel a little jerked around without having a set plan in place and hanging on trade rumors for over a year now. Lalalalalalalafountaine better be talking to him daily to make him feel good.

As for Moulson, yeah, that could happen, if they don't think that he's going to resign with them.

Edited by nossagog

@blocker  Things must be bad in Buffalo, their captain is on pace for 25 pts and a -40 for the year and he gets a thread singing his praises?  I love Ott's game, but he might be the worst captain in the league, not by heart standards, but certainly by production....and that -18 sticks out like a sore thumb, even on Buffalo. This coming from a guy who is supposed to be a tough gritty 2 way player.....pfffft. PIM's down also, at least cause a ruckus....he's done less of that this year also.

@blocker  Things must be bad in Buffalo, their captain is on pace for 25 pts and a -40 for the year and he gets a thread singing his praises?  I love Ott's game, but he might be the worst captain in the league, not by heart standards, but certainly by production....and that -18 sticks out like a sore thumb, even on Buffalo. This coming from a guy who is supposed to be a tough gritty 2 way player.....pfffft. PIM's down also, at least cause a ruckus....he's done less of that this year also.

Apparently he's causing one here!   LOL 

I think that Dave Andreychuk showed that your captain doesn't need to be your top producer for your team to be successful.

I don't expect the Sabres to contend in the near future, but a guy like Ott with his work ethic and dedication are a good example to set for younger players.

It's all a matter of where the team is in development.

That said, wouldn't surprise me to see him dealt to a "contender" at the deadline needing "grit."

I think that Dave Andreychuk showed that your captain doesn't need to be your top producer for your team to be successful.

I don't expect the Sabres to contend in the near future, but a guy like Ott with his work ethic and dedication are a good example to set for younger players.

It's all a matter of where the team is in development.

That said, wouldn't surprise me to see him dealt to a "contender" at the deadline needing "grit."

Just as my opinion with Miller,  from a Sabres standpoint, yeah it would be great to keep him, but at what price.   $3M for a grit and role model may be too high, and he'll probably want a raise as he is coming into his last NHL contracts.   Unlike Miller, he's got no long term tie to the team, only being here for two years, and with a merry-go-round of players. So unlike Miller, its simply going to probably be a money(business) thing with Ott.

Just as my opinion with Miller,  from a Sabres standpoint, yeah it would be great to keep him, but at what price.   $3M for a grit and role model may be too high, and he'll probably want a raise as he is coming into his last NHL contracts.   Unlike Miller, he's got no long term tie to the team, only being here for two years, and with a merry-go-round of players. So unlike Miller, its simply going to probably be a money(business) thing with Ott.

Right - the only factor which enters into the discussion is whether or not the player will sign an extension.

If the player signs (Ott/Miller) you keep them. If not, you get what value you can for them.

Given the chance, I'd try to retain both. Failing that, they must get something for them.