This is why Mason scares me

King Knut

Big game. Key game. Bad game.

You need your guys to know when they need to be better than normal.

He can't have these games. They're bad in front of him a lot, he's been bad behind them more irregularly, but not so much to sweat yet. Just worry a little.

Mason wasn't that bad, I'm okay with the occasional stinker, as long as he continues to play well regularly and fight back from a bad one here and there. Let's see how he responds?

He wasn't very good today. That first goal was bad (though it was deflected) and kinda set the mood for the rest of the game.

But @King Knut has a point in that Mason has been very average over the past 15 games or so. He's winning because the team in front of him is putting up twice as many goals as they were early in the season. But Mason has let in weak goals in most of those games. Not 'bad' goals, not stinkers, but weak. Those kinds of stoppable goals that he would stop early on. Maybe it's just a natural lull in a long season, we'll see.

October, 3-6, 2.25 GAA, .928 save %

November, 6-2-2, 1.94 GAA, .938 save %.

December, 7-1-2, 2.92 GAA, .899 save %

January, 2-2, 3.03 GAA, .887 save %

So you can clearly see that despite a losing record in October, his numbers were excellent. Makes sense based on the team's inability to score.

In November, he got hot and the team got hot, and his record shows that too.

But look at December. While he had his best month in terms of his record, he allowed one full goal per game more, and his save % dropped below .900. January seems to be more of the same so far.

Every goalie pulls off a few outright stinkers in an 82 game schedule. Like the Doomster says, let's see how he reacts....I think he will bounce back and learn from this outing. I think games like this do give us a clue into a potential contract....we need a 1 or 2 year bridge deal to see how he does in back to back seasons...considering his up and down years in the past...we need a bigger body or work to judge before a 5-6 year deal can even be thought about. Question is, will he reject a shorter contract and go UFA....or is he a RFA...not sure about that one.

Every goalie pulls off a few outright stinkers in an 82 game schedule. Like the Doomster says, let's see how he reacts....I think he will bounce back and learn from this outing. I think games like this do give us a clue into a potential contract....we need a 1 or 2 year bridge deal to see how he does in back to back seasons...considering his up and down years in the past...we need a bigger body or work to judge before a 5-6 year deal can even be thought about. Question is, will he reject a shorter contract and go UFA....or is he a RFA...not sure about that one.

I'm with you, jammer. I'm not slamming Mason. He's been the most pleasant surprise this season for the Flyers. But you have to admit, over the past 15 games or so, it seems like 3 goals against is the norm. 

It might have something to do with this team's shift to offense after an anemic start. And today, the defense was pretty bad at key moments. Grossman's stupid pass led to the first TB goal. Overall, Grossman, Schenn, and Mezsaros had brutal games (the latter's offensive rushes notwithstanding). They really seems to be slow in their decision making and then slow in execution which can be read by the opposition a mile away!

I hope Mason turns it around too... Very few goalies play at a top level for 82 games. We'll see how he reacts. My point, though, was that it's not just today. It's been a month long slide in level of play.

Then again, Tampa is an explosive team and one that always gives the Flyers a hard time. So much so that I decided to bench Mason in my FHL today! That was a great call ;)

I was there live and the first goal was soft, the rest were slam dunks. Giroux said after the game that the team left Mason out to dry...

The D is in need of major moves and Homer does Nothing...

I don't see a lineup of teams with good defencemen willing to trade them away. We've got plenty in the mediocre to lousy range, we don't need more of those.

I don't see a lineup of teams with good defencemen willing to trade them away. We've got plenty in the mediocre to lousy range, we don't need more of those.

I know FlyersCanuck. it is so hard to watch Luke and Meszaros out there and it seems like most on here do not like Gustafson for some reason other than what? I give up.

I sat next to a woman who has been to many of the same games and she hates Mason, god dammit why? Bryz would have been 2 more goals in yesterday before the end of the 2nd period.. I was like what do you want him to do, play stretch armstrong on a bang bang play....

I wish Morin and Lauridson can come up.  

I just keep thinking...thank god we Don't have the Russian.

If I was Homer. I would be shrewd come contract time. No long term good money deal for him. Comparetively he's better then what we've been used to seeing (As of recent).

I do have my reservations though.

Actually I'm starting to enjoy watching these games again. Bryz sucked the life right out of me.

Side note... Has anyone seen Connor mcdavid play? Is he going to be real deal?

You see where I'm going with this....is it worth it?

Morin is not near ready for the NHL.

Yeah there is no need to rush him let him develop in juniors besides playing with this bunch i believe would seriously crush/set back his development. It is really hard to watch this blueline play like it's their first year.

Hagg however needs to come over and play in the A just like the Ducks did with Hampus Lindholm it worked wonders for his game and i believe the same will happen to Hagg. Let the youth grow in the minors that is what there there for. 

Compare Masons bad games to the amount of bad games the other 20 goalies we have had over the years have had.... Mason is the best goalie weve had since Lindbergh.... even Quick, Price, Rask and Lundquist have had bad games. Did we think Mason would be immune to a few bad games? 

That first goal was bad (though it was deflected)

The Flyers seem to have more of these than any other team I've watched - this season and past seasons.  They got bit by another one last night, a beauty of a deflection off of Coburn's skate.  Right past Emery and into the net.  I think we're good for one of these bad goals at least once a game.  It's almost to the point where it's expected and comical.

Mason is an RFA...they don't have to break the bank on him.  Which means 5 years+ and a full NMC is coming.  

Not to be a prick for its own sake, but you guys do know that Bryz set team records in this first season here, right? He started out looking like a brilliant if overpaid move. Them came his slow descent into madness... And by slow I mean precipitous and rapid.

None of which is relevant to Mason.

I think he just needs to refocus a little bit.

Needs some refresher days with Reese... Luckily a few weeks off are comin for him.

That said, the team stank in front of him two days in a row. Two BIG damn games. They recaptured that knack for finding g the goalie with the puck in both games... Though against Tampa that goalie was just on fire

Hopefully a bounce back against the sabres gets them rolling again, but the last two have me seeing flashbacks to October. They look better than that overall, but the finishing... Where is the finishing?

I just keep thinking...thank god we Don't have the Russian.

If I was Homer. I would be shrewd come contract time. No long term good money deal for him. Comparetively he's better then what we've been used to seeing (As of recent).

I do have my reservations though.

Actually I'm starting to enjoy watching these games again. Bryz sucked the life right out of me.

Side note... Has anyone seen Connor mcdavid play? Is he going to be real deal?

You see where I'm going with this....is it worth it?

@King Knut  Which team records could that siv possibly have got ???? There is no way it was shut outs, GGA, SV%, wins or anything like that.

I think it was longest continuous shutout stretch. I think it was towards the end of his first season.

Edit: Yep, longest shutout streak. Remember he was real hot that month of March:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/17824032/ilya-bryzgalov-sets-flyers-record-for-longest-shutout-streak

But afaik, that's the only Flyers record he has.

Edited by JackStraw