Realistically Speaking....How many years away?

Poulin20

OK prognosticators, we have had a healthy dose of viewing the Flyers this year.  We have seen the good, the bad and the ugly of this team.  We can see that we have great potential on offense and in net (for now at least).  The defense seems to be where the major holes are however we have some young guys brewing in the pipeline currently.  The core is young and may be able to stay in tact for a while provided Homer doesn't screw things up.

With all of these variables in play, realistically speaking how many years away is this team from being a serious contender?  What say you gents (and ladies)?

I think it depends on when they get what hey need (top line winger and a #1 defenseman). If that were to happen this off season, I cold see them being a lot better in a year. Add those two things and I think you see a lot better team.

I think it depends on when they get what hey need (top line winger and a #1 defenseman). If that were to happen this off season, I cold see them being a lot better in a year. Add those two things and I think you see a lot better team.

I wanted to edit my post, but for some reason that button doesn't always appear.

I also wanted to say that it would be pretty hard to get both of those players in one off season, so it might take a couple of years. They're probably 2-3 away from being a legit contender, but I think they can certainly build on that in the mean time and at least make the POs (and experienced it as a group)

Who was it that he used to really rail on?   Was it Seravelli?   Hmmm...interesting cover story!

Phil Sheridan. It was the creation of the "Phil Phorum" on silly.com that finally got me banned from the Flyers board - for pointing out how often and to what extent Mr. Sheridan was consistently wrong when writing about hockey.

They didn't like that.

Seravalli wishes he was me. :ph34r:

Wow thanks to all who responded to my OP.  It is quite the spectrum of opinions!  I am with those of you who think it may be about 3-4 years until we are true contenders if we stick to a game plan that includes keeping the core together and not trading away a significant chunk of the team to make room for a stupid FA contract and signing or some trade that will "put us over the top" in the short term and kill us in the long term.  I am not 100% confident they will do this given Homer's track record and I do know that we have to "give to get".  If some of the young defense prospects blossom sooner rather than later that would be a really nice thing for us but alas it is a crap shoot.

Here is to hoping that we get lucky with our developing prospects, Homer Behaves, and some of the current powerhouses go into decline in the next 3-4 years.

• 2 months later...

@Poulin20

How about now???

Wouldn't that be sweet!!!

I'd say 2 years if Homer keeps the team moving in the proper direction. 

I think Berube and "G" are doing a great job with them and when we get a few new defencemen going, watch out!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Poulin20

How about now???

Wouldn't that be sweet!!!

I'd say 2 years if Homer keeps the team moving in the proper direction. 

I think Berube and "G" are doing a great job with them and when we get a few new defencemen going, watch out!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree.  I would say 2 years away from having a really complete team capable of sustained success.  So much depends on how the young defensive prospects work out.  Althrough the curent D is playing head and shoulders better than earlier in the season, I don't believe their success will continue for a long period of time. 

As long as they don't trade away any of the young, offensive core and they keep their prospects on D, I really think this team may be primed for a golden age. 

They have an offense that is well into their development, a goalie who has proven he can win big games and make big stops and a stock pile of good D prospects.   They have themselves in a very good position.  Please don't mess this up Homer!!!

• Like 1

I agree.  I would say 2 years away from having a really complete team capable of sustained success.  So much depends on how the young defensive prospects work out.  Althrough the curent D is playing head and shoulders better than earlier in the season, I don't believe their success will continue for a long period of time. 

The problem I see is,  in two years the defense might be worse (on paper) than it is now. I don't see any of the prospects being able to really contribute in two years. Timonen will almost surely be gone by then and there is no one to replace him in the system. I think Hagg and Morin could potentially be top pair guys but not in 2 years. Streit could probably be a tenable replacement for Timonen right now, but I don't see him being able to handle that role two years from now. So looking at the defense as it might project:

Coburn/?

MacDonald/Schenn

Streit/Hagg

Ghost/?/? ...

That doesn't look too bad except for that big ? on the top pair. I don't see Ghost being that guy (would be happy to be proven wrong, but trying to be objective here), and I don't see anyone else currently on the Phantoms being that guy either. You could bump AMac up to first pair and put Ghost with Schenn maybe. I don't know that that's a real Cup contending defense though.

In three years things might get a bit better, maybe Morin makes the Flyers by then and maybe Hagg is ready for a bigger role. Still not sure that either of them would be ready for top pair duty though.

Signing Folin, who based on the one game I saw on Friday looked like he could be NHL ready next year, could give the Flyers more options. Although I don't think he's a top pair guy either. Certainly not by next year.

OK prognosticators, we have had a healthy dose of viewing the Flyers this year.  We have seen the good, the bad and the ugly of this team.  We can see that we have great potential on offense and in net (for now at least).  The defense seems to be where the major holes are however we have some young guys brewing in the pipeline currently.  The core is young and may be able to stay in tact for a while provided Homer doesn't screw things up.

With all of these variables in play, realistically speaking how many years away is this team from being a serious contender?  What say you gents (and ladies)?

I think we win the Cup this year (ahead of schedule).  We got hot at the right time.  :)

But as far as being year in & year out contenders for the Cup? 2 years away, after the blue line is filled with the kids. 

But as far as being year in & year out contenders for the Cup? 2 years away, after the blue line is filled with the kids. 

Four of the six defenceman now are signed for the next two seasons and one of them is signed for three. By all accounts they are looking to extend MacDonald.

When does the blue line get filled with the kids?

@radoran

I could see Ghost getting a spot next season at the earliest. More likely later than that. Hagg I can't say cause i never see him play except at the WJs where he looked good, but not NHL good. I think Morins going to be a long process. I hope they're patient.

@radoran

I could see Ghost getting a spot next season at the earliest. More likely later than that. Hagg I can't say cause i never see him play except at the WJs where he looked good, but not NHL good. I think Morins going to be a long process. I hope they're patient.

Gonna see some of Gotstobehere on Friday when they play my Catamounts in the NCAA Tourney. Tough first round draw for the Cats, but a great thing to be in the dance at all.

Trades are always possible, etc. Injuries happen, yes. But the facts are that there are four spots locked up right now with a fifth on the verge. Under those circumstances "the kids" aren't going to be given any significant time in the NHL to begin with and, quite frankly, the Flyers' track record of developing home grown defensive talent is weak.

IMO, it's much more likely that they do what they've done before and trade for some established veteran (Timonen) or some guys who have shown they can play at this level but are buried on other teams (Coburn, Carle, Schenn and to a lesser extent MacDonald).

Morin I think they will take their time with hoping they can coax something great out of him.

Hagg could very well be the next Gustafsson before the end of next year...

Gonna see some of Gotstobehere on Friday when they play my Catamounts in the NCAA Tourney. Tough first round draw for the Cats, but a great thing to be in the dance at all.

Trades are always possible, etc. Injuries happen, yes. But the facts are that there are four spots locked up right now with a fifth on the verge. Under those circumstances "the kids" aren't going to be given any significant time in the NHL to begin with and, quite frankly, the Flyers' track record of developing home grown defensive talent is weak.

IMO, it's much more likely that they do what they've done before and trade for some established veteran (Timonen) or some guys who have shown they can play at this level but are buried on other teams (Coburn, Carle, Schenn and to a lesser extent MacDonald).

Morin I think they will take their time with hoping they can coax something great out of him.

Hagg won't be Gus Part II. Gus's problem is that he's small and not really effective in front of the net. Basically a small offensive defenseman and the Flyers clearly aren't high on a player like that. Hagg is big and known for his defensive play as well as his offense. I'd be surprised if he makes the team next year but he could get called up at some point.

Keep your eyes on him for us please. Scouting report? :)