NBC and the Peguins Love Affair

Freddy Fog

That's my problem with Doc. The words and phrases he uses doesn't even sound like hockey to me. 

I shudder to think there's people who have grown up with him commentating on hockey and think "Elevators it" or "waffleboarded away" or "knifed" or "honed" or .....well, I could go on, but that those words are actually hockey terminology. 

Imagine watching a football game to this" The squid is shunked to the mainman, he digresses back, elliptically rusing his way out of exigency. He emancipates the baconjacket downmeadow to his beneficiary who acquires the tally-ho! 

That's how I feel when Emerick calls a game.

Yikes!   LOL 

Locals broadcasters CAN be biased. They're catering to the local fans. Imo, the NBC team sounds like they're broadcasting from a Pens fan perspective. I think that's what the original poster's point was. By focusing on Letang's mistake, you're taking away credit from the Caps player. (I didn't see the game so I'm not saying it was true or not in this particular instance)

Locals broadcasters CAN be biased. They're catering to the local fans. Imo, the NBC team sounds like they're broadcasting from a Pens fan perspective. I think that's what the original poster's point was. By focusing on Letang's mistake, you're taking away credit from the Caps player. (I didn't see the game so I'm not saying it was true or not in this particular instance)

If you'd seen the play, it was much more about Letang's mistake than Laich's skill.  It was served up to him on a silver platter.  Doesn't get much more "giveaway" than that.  

@freddie fogg, i completely agree with you. Even in the playoffs when philly played pittsburgh they showed favorites. Maybe im to use to listening to comcast and hearing the flyers praised but theres a lot of love on nbc for pens hockey. Why even have root sports for pens hockey when nbc loves them more.

I really don't see any bias there.  When you have players like Crosby, Malkin, Neal and Letang... they're going to get a lot of praise because they're players that generally earn it.  That would be like Flyers fans expecting commentators to be quiet when Giroux does something special.  THing is, Crosby and Malkin do something special pretty much every other shift.  Hate them all you want, but announcers notice such things.  In fairness though, I notice the same thing for the opponents all the time.  Superstars are superstars, and announcers/commentators are going to bring attention them all the time.  

This thread started out about Letang's screwup being pointed out as Letang's screwup.  Anybody that actually knows hockey that watched that dumbfounding play would agree it was Letang's screwup.  If pointing out somebody's stupidity is bias in favor of them, then I did a lot better in school than I thought!