Timonen - does he retire at the end of the season?

off_the_post

I've seen a number of threads written with the presumption that Timonen is retiring this year.  I am not too sure.  We all saw at the beginning of the season that he lost a few steps.  Since then his play has improved but surely he is not the player he once was.  However is it a forgone conclusion he will retire?  Personally I don't think so.  Do I think he should retire? Perhaps. 

I think it all depends on how the Flyers play down the stretch and playoffs honestly.  I would bring him back but 3.5M - 4M would be the max deal.    He simply is not the player he had been for years.  Father time is catching up but I think he can be productive if played as 3/4 dman.

I agree whole heartedly with Samifan. If Timmo decides he can play another season, make him a 5/6 d man who minutes are based on PP and PK versus 5 on 5 time. The guy is and always will be a warrior but his playing 20 minutes plus a night can't last much longer.

If it were a one year deal at 50% of what he makes now, I would consider keeping him as a 5/6 defensemen. Guy would be a great mentor for some of our youngsters in the system.

While I completely agree with you, how often does this actually happen? They ran Desjardins into the ground, have done the same with Timonen, and when Pronger popped back into the line up they usually treated him like a top-pairing guy.

I agree. I'd have him back for a smaller contract. He's a good player especially if we can't make any moves to improve the D, and the team is overall better with him.

The current cost is too high though. He's no longer a reliable anchor of the defense and not should he be.

He's got a lot to teach, and plenty to contribute. I don't know what d men free agents are hitting the block this summer, but if its weak, I'd keep him and 4 or under.

He'd look a lot better out there at about $4million a year...or less next year.

I agree. I'd have him back for a smaller contract. He's a good player especially if we can't make any moves to improve the D, and the team is overall better with him.

The current cost is too high though. He's no longer a reliable anchor of the defense and not should he be.

He's got a lot to teach, and plenty to contribute. I don't know what d men free agents are hitting the block this summer, but if its weak, I'd keep him and 4 or under.

well said... Kimmoin his current state as our #1 speaks volumes about the inadequate nature of our defense.  

• Like 1

The flyers will have a ton of space next off season. They will make a trade for a number 1. U know they can't stand to let cap space go to waste.

It will take a lot more than just cap space to trade for a legit #1 defenseman. I really don't see it happening, I think they will go after another vet PMD.

It will take a lot more than just cap space to trade for a legit #1 defenseman. I really don't see it happening, I think they will go after another vet PMD.

I think that the PMD need may be overstated of late. Maybe a better fit would be an agile defensive defenseman?

I wish we had player-coaches; this guy should stay in the organization post retirement. I think he would be a great mentor.  Meanwhile, I think he is like Chelios and makes it to 40 or 41 as 5-6 dude. My guess. 

Peace,

Howie

If patience is the new MO I suggest out with the old in with the new,bring on the young players! Another "D" man prospect like Morin would really look good back there. While discussing mentors,Eric Lindros in my opinion,would be a great choice to instill a winning spirit here,something missing for a long time.

If patience is the new MO I suggest out with the old in with the new,bring on the young players! Another "D" man prospect like Morin would really look good back there. While discussing mentors,Eric Lindros in my opinion,would be a great choice to instill a winning spirit here,something missing for a long time.

Because Lindros won what???

Yeah, we FINALLY have two legit d prospects in Morin and Haag so let's bring them up way too quickly and ruin their confidence.  Um...no. 

Morin didn't even make Canada's U20 World Junior team so I wouldn't expect to see him in the NHL any time soon.

• Like 1

@JackStraw

I don't get why anyone would think he would. Everybody and his mother had the term "project" labelled to Morin, and that's exactly what he is. I expect to see him in 3-4 years...in other words, he'll take defenceman time to develop.

bingo!

Edited by murraycraven

@JackStraw

I don't get why anyone would think he would. Everybody and his mother had the term "project" labelled to Morin, and that's exactly what he is. I expect to see him in 3-4 years...in other words, he'll take defenceman time to develop.

Some people just refuse to read the label. Causes all sorts of problems. And nobody listens to their mother anymore. No wonder the world is such a mess.

Edited by JackStraw

Don't want to keep them in juniors past the point of it being beneficial either and getting overworked and injured.

Get them in the system next year. See how they do. Try to keep out of cap trouble so you can put them on the phantoms instead of sending them back to juniors.

Yeah, we FINALLY have two legit d prospects in Morin and Haag so let's bring them up way too quickly and ruin their confidence. Um...no.

Don't want to keep them in juniors past the point of it being beneficial either and getting overworked and injured.

Get them in the system next year. See how they do. Try to keep out of cap trouble so you can put them on the phantoms instead of sending them back to juniors.

Doesn't work that way. If you are eligible for juniors, you are ineligible for the AHL.