Flat

Jam1986

I boo them off the ice, I chant "Fire Holmgren" and rip the team when they are underperforming

Poulin, you must have needed a lot of throat lozenges over the past 2 years!  Is this why Sucretes sock has risen sharply over the past year or so? :lol:

Edited by murraycraven

I think it's in the key of $

I do think there's something to that.

There's no "hunger" in this team. There's no real "desire" that I can see that is lifting them to achieve.

They go out there, they play half-hearted-, they come off the ice, cash their checks and get "ready" for the next game.

There's no identity to this team. No reason for them to be. No defining characteristic - even with the late-game "heroics" (and even they are turning into one point instead of two point efforts).

There is simply no more "Flyer hockey" being shown out there. I have no real explanation for it.

There is simply no more "Flyer hockey" being shown out there. I have no real explanation for it

I have an explanation. It's been the same basic story for the last 2+ years. Change the coach, change the goalie, but the basic problem remains the same. This team cannot play in its own end. They are mediocre (at best) defensively, and in transition they are just horrendous. The defense corps is as poorly put together as any in the league. Individually they're ok, collectively they are a hot mess.

I have an explanation. It's been the same basic story for the last 2+ years. Change the coach, change the goalie, but the basic problem remains the same. This team cannot play in its own end. They are mediocre (at best) defensively, and in transition they are just horrendous. The defense corps is as poorly put together as any in the league. Individually they're ok, collectively they are a hot mess.

I'd say for the past 10-15, if not 15-20 years, actually...

The goalie and coach carousel keep turning. We have an owner that says "you can't change the players" about a team that has five guys that were on it two seasons ago.

Individually, you're right, there's talent and there's potential. There is no "team" here.

Until they play as a team they're not going anywhere. But they are good enough to "make the playoffs and anything can happen."

It won't happen, but it "can."

Individually, you're right, there's talent and there's potential. There is no "team" here

On D I don't think there's much potential with the current group. They are what they are and other than Timo and Streit they are woefully lacking in puck handling and passing skills. Even Meszaros, with his recent heroics in the offensive zone doesn't get it done in the defensive end.

Edited by JackStraw

On D I don't think there's much potential with the current group. They are what they are and other than Timo and Streit they are woefully lacking in puck handling and passing skills. Even Meszaros, with his recent heroics in the offensive zone doesn't get it done in the defensive end.

I can agree with that. But the entire POINT of putting this defense together was to BE "good" - not have "potential." It was meant to erase the problems of the spit and bailing wire approach of the 10-11 season (Pavel Kubina, we hardly knew ye). Remember, that's the justification for the JVR trade - they "needed help on defense."

That's also why four of them are signed for 2+ more seasons with some variation of NT/NMC or 35+ contract.

I can agree with that. But the entire POINT of putting this defense together was to BE "good" - not have "potential." It was meant to erase the problems of the spit and bailing wire approach of the 10-11 season (Pavel Kubina, we hardly knew ye). Remember, that's the justification for the JVR trade - they "needed help on defense."

That's also why four of them are signed for 2+ more seasons with some variation of NT/NMC or 35+ contract.

Add to that the only two defensemen who can improve are Gus and Schenn. I think we all know what we're getting in Schenn, and it's not much. It's really hard to imagine much improvement, if any. And Gus, he might turn out to be a serviceable 2nd pairing defenseman, but I can't see him any higher than that.

THe rest of them are either at their peak (Coburn, Mesz, Grossman) or on the decline (Streit, Timonen, Gill).

There's Bourdon, but honestly, until he can actually play a hockey game, I'm not even putting him on the depth chart.

I know you are frustrared with the team as am I, however as one of the "bozos" STHs that keeps showing up to watch the games I reject the premise that Homer and Ed's actions are based on what we the fans do.  Ed is stuborn and arrogant becasue he is Ed.  Becasue they won 2 cups in the 70s he thinks he knows more than all of us. ("We dont need a fresh perspective, Out culture is to win" etc.) 

Comcast has deep pockets and it is not like he is there looking at bottom line stuff to keep the franchise afloat.  If I give up my season tickets the Flyers wont even bat and eye and the only one I will hurt is me because I enjoy going to the games (even when they suck).  I boo them off the ice, I chant "Fire Holmgren" and rip the team when they are underperforming but in the grand scheme of things my opinion isnt going change Ed's and Homer's minds.  They are going to do what they do no matter what becasue they are who they are. 

As far as making changes go...every time that happens Homer gets us in more of a mess.  I am done with major changes for a while as it keeps settting the team back (save for something that can help this defense).  As for lineup changes, Berube has benched guys when they are not performing, however I do agree with you that Luke Schenn deserves some time in the pressbox himself with Hal Gill. 

Just to let you know I am a Bozo that has tickets to 11 games this season.

and some on this board claimed that Downie was "just what this Team needed" :ph34r:

take solice in the fact that the Flyers are an average Team in a terrible division.  No matter how good the offense and goaltending may be this Team will never go anywhere w/ this defense.  

Also not sure how anyone can say Mason is like Bryz... I will take Mason any day of the week.   Has he been perfect lately?  No...he has done enough to keep them in the game on most nights and very good late in the game.  We will see where they stand in the upcoming games b/c it wont be easy to get points.

PS:  Please, please rid this group of Fluke Schenn...   please.

I am not really trying to throw Downie under the bus either, he Couterier and Read have been pretty good and at the time his playmaking skills were an improvement over the disappointing Talbot. Those guys just need to have mobile defensemen out with them , because they can be pretty good on the cycle and possessing the puck. the team is mismatched, and the d-corps is pretty slow, if not of foot then of brain.

and some on this board claimed that Downie was "just what this Team needed" :ph34r:

take solice in the fact that the Flyers are an average Team in a terrible division.  No matter how good the offense and goaltending may be this Team will never go anywhere w/ this defense.  

Also not sure how anyone can say Mason is like Bryz... I will take Mason any day of the week.   Has he been perfect lately?  No...he has done enough to keep them in the game on most nights and very good late in the game.  We will see where they stand in the upcoming games b/c it wont be easy to get points.

PS:  Please, please rid this group of Fluke Schenn...   please.  

Brelic:

I seem to recall that Bryz had an amazing stretch in his first season when when we thought he performed up to his cost. I think Mason has potential and may pan out. And our D sucks. That said, I think he has been inconsistent.  

Howie