Either it's time to blow the D up... or the Chief has lost the room

colorado_al

Ok guys, I'm a fairly patient person ( you kinda have to be to be a Philly fan ) but this has gone on way too long.  The only time we win is when our O makes up for the D.... if they don't it's no contest.

In any case, I'm willing to blow up the rest of the season and start building a new D.  There's been way too many turnovers and zero puck control.  Does our D even care who they pass the puck to these days.

Maybe it's time to pull the C and give it to someone else.   I think Zac is the only flyer these days that seems to give 100 percent 100 percent of the time.  Too bad he lacks the talent of some of our guys who seem to skate around in circles and just watch the game go by them.

I don't know what the answer is but something needs to be done and I'm willing to give up this season to start the process now.

Ok, I think I feel better now... maybe I'll even feel better after I get a drink <g>.

and to think i thought pronger was still involved with the team..can't he TEACH if not officially. everyone on the D can go BYE BYE except for streit cause i believe he has a NMC and i hope i'm wrong on that. this is just getting sad to watch even when we were in 2nd

Ok guys, I'm a fairly patient person ( you kinda have to be to be a Philly fan ) but this has gone on way too long.  The only time we win is when our O makes up for the D.... if they don't it's no contest.

In any case, I'm willing to blow up the rest of the season and start building a new D.  There's been way too many turnovers and zero puck control.  Does our D even care who they pass the puck to these days.

Maybe it's time to pull the C and give it to someone else.   I think Zac is the only flyer these days that seems to give 100 percent 100 percent of the time.  Too bad he lacks the talent of some of our guys who seem to skate around in circles and just watch the game go by them.

I don't know what the answer is but something needs to be done and I'm willing to give up this season to start the process now.

Ok, I think I feel better now... maybe I'll even feel better after I get a drink <g>.

it's funny but i was thinking that this team has some of the dumbest group of d-men i have seen in a long time. really!

schenn, coburn, mez have such low hockey IQ's that if the wonderlic test existed in hockey, they would put up frank gore - like numbers.

Edited by caluso
  • Like 1

Ok guys, I'm a fairly patient person ( you kinda have to be to be a Philly fan ) but this has gone on way too long. The only time we win is when our O makes up for the D.... if they don't it's no contest.

In any case, I'm willing to blow up the rest of the season and start building a new D. There's been way too many turnovers and zero puck control. Does our D even care who they pass the puck to these days.

Maybe it's time to pull the C and give it to someone else. I think Zac is the only flyer these days that seems to give 100 percent 100 percent of the time. Too bad he lacks the talent of some of our guys who seem to skate around in circles and just watch the game go by them.

Pulling the C is not the answer, it's the Flyers you trade your captain.

@caluso is right , our defense corps is always a step late either because they're physically slow or can't decide the right thing to do in time.

I'm for calling up any of the guys in ADK that stand a chance of playing in the NHL and seeing what is what.

When Ghotisbehere is done college this season put the strong arm on him to take the next step. It is clear when the Flyers play a team with speed and active sticks they cannot break from their zone...we need for Coburn to be an average skater among our d-men...not the best.

Edited by mojo1917

I dont get it... I understand the frustration but when is it good enough to just realize the Team in not good enough?   The defense is barely a NHL quality defense and they are simply terrible.   Terrible...

If this group is already tuning out the Coach they should all be sent packing.   I do not think it is the Coach, I do not think it is the Captain but I do think they simply are not a good Team.  That is on the GM... he is the one that created the revolving door of players.

• Like 3

I said it last night in game chat.  This team is mediocre at best.  Any other Division and this team is not even sniffing the playoffs.  Yes they currently have the 2nd WC spot but they have 5 other teams with a point or two from them.  In the Western Conference they would be 5 points OUT of the WC spot.  This team should have been playing its younger d-men from the start to see what we have.  However, this team continually teases us.  Suckage...win a few games...suckage ..win a few games ..REPEAT.  I'm ok for blowing up the D.  Kimmo is too old, Coburn is not a top D-man, L. Schenn...well he is just a mess.  Mez and the rest...average at best.  Folks this defense will be a work in progress and take a couple of seasons.  The question is how patient will the fans be?  Obviously what they are doing is not working.

• Like 1

I dont get it... I understand the frustration but when is it good enough to just realize the Team in not good enough?   The defense is barely a NHL quality defense and they are simply terrible.   Terrible...

If this group is already tuning out the Coach they should all be sent packing.   I do not think it is the Coach, I do not think it is the Captain but I do think they simply are not a good Team.  That is on the GM... he is the one that created the revolving door of players.

A voice of reason....you and I have been on the same page since the start of the season.......However like Rux said in game chat last night, top line D-man FA will probably be redesigned by their respective teams.  You will have to get a top D-man via trade.  And unfortunately like I said...you will have to give to get.....the question is asked..who are you willing to part with?  (This might deserve its own thread?)

A voice of reason....you and I have been on the same page since the start of the season.......However like Rux said in game chat last night, top line D-man FA will probably be redesigned by their respective teams.  You will have to get a top D-man via trade.  And unfortunately like I said...you will have to give to get.....the question is asked..who are you willing to part with?  (This might deserve its own thread?)

doc,

we have been singing the same tune all year and I guess this is why I do not get mad.  I never saw this Team as being a playoff Team before the season started.   Right now they are the result of a very bad Metro division.  Although, they could be sinking fast with these games coming up.  

You bring up a great point.  Someone is going to have to get traded in order to get a #1 dman.   Once you get that settled you have to realize that you are going to have to overpay to get that defenseman.   The key here is when does patience become the realization that maybe the players are not what you thought - Cooter, Schenn(s), etc..

It is great question and I am not sure what the answer is...

First priority, Get Luke Schenn off the ice. He has literally scored more goals for the opponents than he has for the Flyers. Pairing him with Mez is an absolute disaster which we have seen night after night. He is just to slow to react when you have a d-man(Mez) trying to join the rush every time he steps onto the ice. Gus is faster and would be a better option than Schenn if you are pairing him with Mez.

What "top line dman" is available?

http://www.capgeek.com/ufa-finder/?position_id=D

You see any game changers in that list? Because I don't.

The next question would be - what game-changer is out there that can be reasonably traded for? Again, that cupboard looks pretty bare - unless you overpay, which affects the rest of the roster.

To me, this whole situation is just flawed. Fundamentally flawed. And I'm not sure there's any quick path back. Maybe waiting to see what Morin/Haag, etc. bring in 3-4 years is the only thing possible.

But we know that the Flyers will not take that route.

What "top line dman" is available?

http://www.capgeek.com/ufa-finder/?position_id=D

You see any game changers in that list? Because I don't.

The next question would be - what game-changer is out there that can be reasonably traded for? Again, that cupboard looks pretty bare - unless you overpay, which affects the rest of the roster.

To me, this whole situation is just flawed. Fundamentally flawed. And I'm not sure there's any quick path back. Maybe waiting to see what Morin/Haag, etc. bring in 3-4 years is the only thing possible.

But we know that the Flyers will not take that route.

Rad,

That list is pretty bleak.  I say wait it out for Morin/Haag/Ghost..etc....We as fans will just have to suck it up till then.  Sadly, the Flyers MO is is to find the quick fix which we all know DOES NOT WORK!

I Watched Some Of The Pens/Isles Game Last Night. Maata For The Pens LookEd Very Impressive. It Amazes Me How Other Clubs SeeM To Have No Trouble Drafting Young Dmen Who Come Up And Play Well. Something Is Fundamentally Flawed With Our Entire Draft Process. maybe Morin And Hagg Will Pan Out...

@pilldoc

Even with the Morin/Hagg/Ghost prospects I still think the Flyers have to find themselves a true #1. And the way teams covet them now, they may well have to deplete themselves at the forward position or draft and develop their own.

Well, as long as we can put our faith in the Flyers' ability to draft and develop defencemen, we should be in great shape. :ph34r:

I Watched Some Of The Pens/Isles Game Last Night. Maata For The Pens LookEd Very Impressive. It Amazes Me How Other Clubs SeeM To Have No Trouble Drafting Young Dmen Who Come Up And Play Well. Something Is Fundamentally Flawed With Our Entire Draft Process. maybe Morin And Hagg Will Pan Out...

B-b-b-b-but, Scott Laughton is lighting it up in Juniors. Just like Couturier did!

The future is bright!

Oh, wait... :ph34r:

@pilldoc

Even with the Morin/Hagg/Ghost prospects I still think the Flyers have to find themselves a true #1. And the way teams covet them now, they may well have to deplete themselves at the forward position or draft and develop their own.

Agree FC...  

Prospects are prospects and you never now what is going to happen.   cough cough: Fluke Schenn.   The Flyers need that true #1 dman and I am not sure one exists via trade.   I guess any trade is possible but I think it would take another blow up to acquire that #1 guy.

Well if you actually draft Dmen, you should eventually hit on something. The Flyers finally used a first round pick, AND a second on D. I know we used a first on Sbisa, then traded him, and used a first on Pitkanen, and traded him. 

@pilldoc

I know..and that is the frustrating thing about this team.  i totally agree. that is what I fear...trade for a true #1 D-man, deplete the young Forwards we have and be back at square one. 

No easy answers, but trade Luke the Fluke and call up Oliver, that makes us better right away and gives us whatever asset we get for Luke.

Laugh if you want but that really sounds like a good option, i know Homer won't trade Luke at least not now...but calling up Ollie who is an actual solid defensive defenseman who was leading the whole Phantom team at one time at +12 (decent number considered he's a defensive defenseman).......is doable...ok maybe someone is needing to be waived too but do it.....hell waive Mezz.

It's a start and he is waaaay more mobile than Luke.

Laugh if you want but that really sounds like a good option, i know Homer won't trade Luke at least not now...but calling up Ollie who is an actual solid defensive defenseman who was leading the whole Phantom team at one time at +12 (decent number considered he's a defensive defenseman).......is doable...ok maybe someone is needing to be waived too but do it.....hell waive Mezz.

It's a start and he is waaaay more mobile than Luke.

Seriously I am ok with this. Hell at least it would be a start.

One trade I would make in a HEARTBEAT would be B.Schenn, our 1st rounder next year and anyone off the Phantoms they wanted.....for Jacob Trouba. Not that the Jets would EVER give this young stud away...but WOW, I'm telling ya, this kid is gonna be a STAR!!  Great skater, fantastic shot, amazing hockey sense. Since Maurice has joined the Jets, young Trouba has led the Jets in ice time, plays on the pp, pk....what an amazing career this kid is gonna have!