Thornton & Marleau Agree to Three-Year Extensions

HockeyLady

Both of them took what I believe to be home town discounts to stay where they love to play. Kinda cool in this greedy day and age. With the cap going way up, Marleau for 6.6 mill a year is a steal of a deal. I believe he could have got 7.5 to 8 mill on the open market for many more guaranteed years. Refreshing.

Both of them took what I believe to be home town discounts to stay where they love to play. Kinda cool in this greedy day and age. With the cap going way up, Marleau for 6.6 mill a year is a steal of a deal. I believe he could have got 7.5 to 8 mill on the open market for many more guaranteed years. Refreshing.

Thornton would be even more sought after on the open market. Marleau is good, but streaky and disappears even more in the playoffs than Joe. They are the same age and Thornton outplays him year after year.

Two down, Boyle to go. Still hoping the Sharks have shot their load and that Boyle would like to come East to play for the Wings.....

Boyle is going to take a haircut on his last contract given his rapidly declining performance and age.

@J0e Th0rnton  Wow, hard to believe they are the same age. I had this mental image of Joe being basically a Grandpa, and Marleau as just exiting his prime. Agreed, you can count on Joe more when it really matters.

Heh. They were drafted #1 and #2 overall in the same draft :)

People were shocked during the trade when Marleau was not going the other way.