Huge Lead, so just curious

ruxpin

Okay, so the Pens are having a really good season and going into the Olympic break will have between a 15 and 20 point lead in the division and between a 5 and 10 point lead in the conference.

Nice position to be in.

But as a fan, is this something you're enjoying as much as if they were winning a very tight race?  Or since they've pretty much been in the lead in a walk the entire season, does it become a bit boring (in the sense that "hurry up and let's get on with the playoffs so there's just a little bit of tension again)?

I just wonder if for a guy winning a race if, when he looks up and realizes there's no one else on the course if it doesn't just turn into an afternoon drive.  Or do you guys end up turning it into, "how many points can we win by?" just to have something to pay attention to?

Seriously.

Any worry that when the playoffs come they'll be lulled into a snooze a la hare vs. the tortoise?   

Sorry for the dumb questions, but just was curious what the view looked like from the rear window.

Okay, so the Pens are having a really good season and going into the Olympic break will have between a 15 and 20 point lead in the division and between a 5 and 10 point lead in the conference.

Nice position to be in.

But as a fan, is this something you're enjoying as much as if they were winning a very tight race?  Or since they've pretty much been in the lead in a walk the entire season, does it become a bit boring (in the sense that "hurry up and let's get on with the playoffs so there's just a little bit of tension again)?

I just wonder if for a guy winning a race if, when he looks up and realizes there's no one else on the course if it doesn't just turn into an afternoon drive.  Or do you guys end up turning it into, "how many points can we win by?" just to have something to pay attention to?

Seriously.

Any worry that when the playoffs come they'll be lulled into a snooze a la hare vs. the tortoise?   

Sorry for the dumb questions, but just was curious what the view looked like from the rear window.

Enjoying? Yes. I hate losing and I hate watching my team while they are losing. 

As for the focus...there are still a lot of games left to be played and Boston is close enough where they remain a threat for the #1 overall seed.

I don't think there is any rhyme or reason (or correlation) as far as teams coasting in the regular season and either flaming out in the playoffs or coasting there as well.

The Pens post-season success hinges on Fleury.

But yeah - I would love an 82-0 season. ;)

@ruxpin

@flyercanuck

The lead in the conference is what matters so I think the 5 point spread (but Bruins have a game in hand so possibly 3) keeps their attention. I stay focused because its been an injury laden season and you just don't know who's next. They've played very well missing some key parts, and trade talk keeps it interesting as well.

Plus the Pens gave a knack for losing to weak teams. Edmonton, Phoenix, etc etc...

I'm a one game at a time kind of guy, even as a fan.   Its great that we have built a lead.   But you need to focus on each individual game to work on what your goals are. FC had a good point about Crosby, and that he focus' on the little things to make his game better.  What they need to do is to engrain that on everyone.   You CAN'T take a game off, that's what breeds lazy play.  Each game you have to go out with a plan, and work the plan.  Hopefully that's the message in the locker room.

As a fan?  I'm watching THIS game, and critiquing that one. 

You CAN'T take a game off, that's what breeds lazy play. Each game you have to go out with a plan, and work the plan.

Can it be assumed then that no one has mentioned this to Kris Letang? He would appear to me as an outsider(I don't watch a lot of Pens games) as the party most guilty of taking plays off but not whole games........

Edited by flyerrod

Can it be assumed then that no one has mentioned this to Kris Letang? He would appear to me as an outsider(I don't watch a lot of Pens games) as the party most guilty of taking plays off but not whole games........

He's never lazy, just takes unnecessary chances here and there, and they cost us. Lazy I'd look more at Malkin. He'll skate like mad a few shifts, then coast a few. It's maddening.

He's never lazy, just takes unnecessary chances here and there, and they cost us. Lazy I'd look more at Malkin. He'll skate like mad a few shifts, then coast a few. It's maddening.

Hey, how 'bout the Flyers send Lecavalier over for Malkin? :ph34r:

• Like 1

If you have seen my comments in other threads, you'll see that I totally agree.  I personally would not shed a tear if he were to be traded.  It almost looks like the classic example of, hey, I just signed my big contract, I don't need to give at 100% any longer.

If you have seen my comments in other threads, you'll see that I totally agree.  I personally would not shed a tear if he were to be traded.  It almost looks like the classic example of, hey, I just signed my big contract, I don't need to give at 100% any longer.

What scares me the most is Homer is probably already looking for a way to trade for him since he now has a boat anchor contract with a NTC that kicks in next year....... :wacko:

What scares me the most is Homer is probably already looking for a way to trade for him since he now has a boat anchor contract with a NTC that kicks in next year....... :wacko:

Nah, he won't have the space, I hear that he's looking to extend Hal Gill for another 5 years gauranteed.  Homer doesn't agree with that whole 35+ FA rule.

@nossagog

Homer can always make room for guys not earning their keep with NTCs. What better way to piss off  your fanbase than trade some fan favorites and your 1st round pick the year the drafts in Philly for a soft overpaid defenceman?

It's probably a done deal...and I'll stick to junior exclusively.