Snider Rips Yzerman over Giroux "snub"

radoran

I think MSL was a great choice.

I think Claude blew it with team Canada by not participating with them at the beginning of the year and then taking 20 games to find his game.

He has talent , is a "natural wing" whatever the hell that means, and since game 21 has been ******* lights out.  So it was a tough cut in the numbers game.

He'd be a terror with his abilities on the larger surface, team Canada's loss, I hope he uses the snub to raise his level of play even further.

As for chairman Ed flipping out, good for him, he's a old coot but he loves his guys and I wouldn't expect anything less from him.

How would I know you would type exactly that? lol. I only agree to a point...

His skill level is sick. One has to be blind to pretent that isn't true. His drive and determination and ability to capitalize on chances is a whole different discussion.

I don't have a problem with him been left out of Team Canada. I really don't. Like many here said, you have to earn that. But to say he "doesn't stand out" is just being deliberately biased, which, again, doesn't surprise me really that much.... no offense.

I'm not arguing his skill set. Hell I've defended him against many Flyers fans here when he was slumping. And I didn't say he doesn't stand out in the NHL, but more appropriately as a center on the Canada roster. What center should be trump there? Adding that to his recent struggles ... And yes he had a great season with Jagr, but in comparison, has been out scored by Kunitz for example, since then. And Kunitz doesn't have his talent.

I think Giroux would be good for Canada, sure, but not at Center. And unfortunately for him he was just starting to play well again when the selections were made. So you can argue fairly either way. He didn't stand out against the current roster at the time.

If you read the entire article Snider obviously speaks about the "snub", but he also brings up some good points as to why he hates the entire Olympic situation and has no real issues with any of his players not going.  

He makes some pretty good points overall. 

Edited by Green Man

@Polaris922

Too bad Crosby needs Kunitz to hold his hand while he is over there. Dupuis would probably have been playing for Canada if he wasn't hurt. Any kind of conspiracy theories with boy wonder and Giroux having some conflict in the past.

Good point.  Wouldn't be surprised if Giroux said he would not go if Crosby was. :ph34r:

• Like 1

If Bobby Ryan is not on the US squad then why cant G be left off the Canadian squad...  It is not all about stats and points.   They need players to serve a certain role...

Honestly, why is such a big deal?  I would have chosen MSL too...  Let him rest for the stretch run and worry about the Flyers.   Last, Ed Snider just needs to keep his mouth shut.

If Bobby Ryan is not on the US squad then why cant G be left off the Canadian squad...  It is not all about stats and points.   They need players to serve a certain role...

Honestly, why is such a big deal?  I would have chosen MSL too...  Let him rest for the stretch run and worry about the Flyers.   Last, Ed Snider just needs to keep his mouth shut.

This.  I don't think this is really Giroux being snubbed "again".  It seemed we all agreed that MSL was the "bigger" snub so MSL being in effect the "first alternate" really shouldn't come as a shock. Now if someone else can't go....

• Like 1

@murraycraven  Agreed, Snider sounds like a petulant whining child that has to eat his veggies before getting to the ice cream.

LOL!   He drives me nuts honestly.   He did have some very good points about the Olympics but he comes across like a silver spoon fed whiny 5 year old.  

This.  I don't think this is really Giroux being snubbed "again".  It seemed we all agreed that MSL was the "bigger" snub so MSL being in effect the "first alternate" really shouldn't come as a shock. Now if someone else can't go....

Yep, we still have the Friday and Saturday night games to get through...anything can happen. Imagine one of these guys pulls a groin or something in the last game before the Olympic break....they would be heartbroken!

Just so I understand this correctly (and I did read the entire article)- Ed Snider loathes NHL players attending the Winter Olympics, and thinks that it is the worst idea ever in the history of bad ideas, and that the NHL is the only professional sport that sends players to participate during the regular season, yet he is pi$$ed that his "star" player is not participating in an event that he hates?

Meanwhile in Crazyville, Al Sharpton is peeved that there is no minority representation in the Sharkey County Mississippi chapter of the Ku Klux Klan.......

Ed may need to see his doctor and get his Donepezil prescription re-filled. 

• Like 4

Completely agree.

Yep, we still have the Friday and Saturday night games to get through...anything can happen. Imagine one of these guys pulls a groin or something in the last game before the Olympic break....they would be heartbroken!

I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened already. We all had a feeling Stamkos was iffy. 

Still possible one of the Sedins might be out for Sweden.  Erat replaced Sobotka for the Czechs. Still waiting for N. Murray Edwards to sound off on Vrbata's snub from the Czech team. ;)

Just so I understand this correctly (and I did read the entire article)- Ed Snider loathes NHL players attending the Winter Olympics, and thinks that it is the worst idea ever in the history of bad ideas, and that the NHL is the only professional sport that sends players to participate during the regular season, yet he is pi$$ed that his "star" player is not participating in an event that he hates?

Meanwhile in Crazyville, Al Sharpton is peeved that there is no minority representation in the Sharkey County Mississippi chapter of the Ku Klux Klan.......

Ed may need to see his doctor and get his Donepezil prescription re-filled. 

Bert - for the win!

:D

I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened already. We all had a feeling Stamkos was iffy. 

Still possible one of the Sedins might be out for Sweden.  Erat replaced Sobotka for the Czechs. Still waiting for N. Murray Edwards to sound off on Vrbata's snub from the Czech team. ;)

This is indicative of the real issue here - Snider does feel that he can "create reality" by dictating it. Why an American gives a rat's ass about the makeup of Team Canada is beyond me. Snider believes he can make things the way he wants simply by stating them emphatically enough.

And then he winds up essentially embarrassing his player. Can you imagine if another player does go down and Giroux is called up? How many of his teammates that "he's better than half of" aren't going to bring up Snider's quote? Hell, anyone on here would. People still - myself included - rely on the Lavvy's ludicrous "best player in the world" hyperbole.

He's definitely going to hear about that - as he likely does about being "best player in the world" - on the ice for years to come.

The fact is, Giroux (and the Flyers) are better off NOT playing this tournament - for all the reasons that Snider himself identifies - certainly in the short term and probably long term as well.

@radoran

I didn't read all of Sniders comments...I hope he didn't actually say Philly will be better off if Girouxs rested for that long playoff run?

just generally the reasons he doesn't like the Olympics - risk of injury, pause in season.

One is almost tempted to argue against the whole concept of "team" sports in the Olympics in general, before remembering that one of the most spectacular moments in the history of sport was the Miracle on Ice.

@Polaris922

Too bad Crosby needs Kunitz to hold his hand while he is over there. Dupuis would probably have been playing for Canada if he wasn't hurt. Any kind of conspiracy theories with boy wonder and Giroux having some conflict in the past.

You're just mad Kunitz has more points these past two seasons than Giroux. Honestly though, I think Kunitz earned his way by filling the role if crash the net style hockey. He creates room for Crosby and that's something Giroux wouldn't do. Giroux has a great skill set, again, but you need wingers that go to the net.

This is indicative of the real issue here - Snider does feel that he can "create reality" by dictating it. Why an American gives a rat's ass about the makeup of Team Canada is beyond me. Snider believes he can make things the way he wants simply by stating them emphatically enough.

And then he winds up essentially embarrassing his player. Can you imagine if another player does go down and Giroux is called up? How many of his teammates that "he's better than half of" aren't going to bring up Snider's quote? Hell, anyone on here would. People still - myself included - rely on the Lavvy's ludicrous "best player in the world" hyperbole.

He's definitely going to hear about that - as he likely does about being "best player in the world" - on the ice for years to come.

The fact is, Giroux (and the Flyers) are better off NOT playing this tournament - for all the reasons that Snider himself identifies - certainly in the short term and probably long term as well.

Interesting (and accurate) angle.  Giroux is the kid who just wants to quietly go about his business and Snider is the overbearing parent screaming from the stands, "Put my kid in!"

You want a hot hand not a slumping player, you're right which is why this choice makes sense. Who's been hotter than Giroux lately? Over the past two weeks pretty much nobody that's who.

Yes he slumped early, but the pace he's been keeping in order to make up for it to the degree he has has been blistering.

Personally I think it's a huge mistake, but I really couldn't care less. Claude really seems like the kind of player who can put being pissed off in a bottle and use it as fuel.

But let's not kid ourselves. We can hate on him from time to time, but the way he's played for the last two/three months, I certainly would take him over half the guys that are on the team.

The Nash was good four years ago argument makes no sense since Richards didn't make the team this year either. (Yet somehow carter-who Richards has been outscoring- did. )

@radoran It's outrageous for Snider to even consider saying that. Better than half the players there....pfffft. Claude is not there cause he got off to a HORRIBLE start on the season. On such a talented team, there is no room for slumps...he has to own that.

Giroux has more points than Kunitz at the moment... And Giroux spend a month or so absolutely sucking.

You're just mad Kunitz has more points these past two seasons than Giroux. Honestly though, I think Kunitz earned his way by filling the role if crash the net style hockey. He creates room for Crosby and that's something Giroux wouldn't do. Giroux has a great skill set, again, but you need wingers that go to the net.

Seriously? What's he supposed to say? "yeah, I wouldn't have taken him either."?? That's his guy!! Of course he's gonna go all Don King about it.

Personally I'm happy he made a stink (he was asked btw, it want like he called a presser). Gets people talking about yzerman... The more you get yzerman and St. Louis and all of team Canada second guessing this choice the better it is for the flyers in the rest of the season and all the other teams in the Olympics. -though I don't think we can expect any sweetheart deals from the bolts any time soon ha ha.

He's defending his guy. He's expressing confidence in his team's captain and by far most important Player. -His guy who is now 8th in the league in points after an abysmal start.

This is the kind of confidence and support they never gave Lindros or Richards. This is a good sign. They're treating G with respect and pumping him up. Claude knows he has to deliver, that will never be in doubt. The kid has a fire inside. But it's a whole lot easier to find your game when you know your team has your back and thy believe in you.

Aside from that, Snider is an old grumpy pain in the ass and anyone who expects any other kind of answer from him will almost always be disappointed.

You could ask him what time it is and he'll rip someone a new one with the answer. That's how he is.

@murraycraven Agreed, Snider sounds like a petulant whining child that has to eat his veggies before getting to the ice cream.