Snider Rips Yzerman over Giroux "snub"

radoran

Even at the time of selection it had o come down to position in that one. Carter is also meant to be a finisher and Giroux is a play maker, but carts ain't finishing crap lately.

I'm sorry but when the team was announced and G wasn't there the argument was, "it was all about stats" because Gioux started with a slump. But Ben by that time G was recouping what he's missed and playing better than many of the guys who were on the team, they just hadn't started with a slump.

Now he's played another few weeks and surpassed most of the rest of the guys who originally made it because "it was all about stats".

Now the argument is, "it's not all about stats".

Clearly it never was about stats. It's personal.

I hope the Russians break everyone's ankles or wrists so Giroux can rest assured This was the best thing for him.

You know they'll do anything thy can to win this one.

@jammer2

@radoran

I believe at the time of selection Carter was a winger with a good few more goals scored this season than Giroux. Since then Giroux has played well and caught up some while Carter has slumped. But I believe we looked at it at the time and that made sense.

Giroux has more points than Kunitz at the moment... And Giroux spend a month or so absolutely sucking.

At the time of the selections though that was not the case. Giroux wasn't even close. That was my point. He was just starting to rebound.

Even at the time of selection it had o come down to position in that one. Carter is also meant to be a finisher and Giroux is a play maker, but carts ain't finishing crap lately.

I'm sorry but when the team was announced and G wasn't there the argument was, "it was all about stats" because Gioux started with a slump. But Ben by that time G was recouping what he's missed and playing better than many of the guys who were on the team, they just hadn't started with a slump.

Now he's played another few weeks and surpassed most of the rest of the guys who originally made it because "it was all about stats".

Now the argument is, "it's not all about stats".

Clearly it never was about stats. It's personal.

I hope the Russians break everyone's ankles or wrists so Giroux can rest assured This was the best thing for him.

You know they'll do anything thy can to win this one.

Actually I've said from the start its about stats, position, and style. But that's ok.

At the time of the selections though that was not the case. Giroux wasn't even close. That was my point. He was just starting to rebound.

Wow. 1 point more w/ a game in hand. :o

Kunitz is also a +26.  Claudia is....even.  Even if that +26 is al Crosby, guess who his linemate will be in Sochi?  SMH

Snider hollering about his Giroux not making it is just an "atta boy" aimed at his player.  I'm guessing he is secretly relieved that Giroux is going to be able to rest and avoid the orange water and potential terrorist threats in Sochi.

Team Canada is stacked enough that one player shouldn't make or break the team.

Yes, Claude Giroux is better than at least half the forwards on the roster, points wise, multiple roles wise, pretty much every kind of wise.  Definitely better since the rosters was selected.  But I'm fine with him getting a break.  The Stanley Cup is far more significant a goal.

edit: There are also several others of note that deserved consideration over the current roster, but Canada was only allowed to ice one team at a time, so, c'est la vie.

Edited by TedZep

Just so I understand this correctly (and I did read the entire article)- Ed Snider loathes NHL players attending the Winter Olympics, and thinks that it is the worst idea ever in the history of bad ideas, and that the NHL is the only professional sport that sends players to participate during the regular season, yet he is pi$$ed that his "star" player is not participating in an event that he hates?

Meanwhile in Crazyville, Al Sharpton is peeved that there is no minority representation in the Sharkey County Mississippi chapter of the Ku Klux Klan.......

Ed may need to see his doctor and get his Donepezil prescription re-filled. 

bert gets my vote for King of REASON

Well I do agree with Ed once he starts talking about sending the players to the Olympics.  The fact that they have to take such a long break in mid-season is really ridiculous.  I love watching the level of hockey with the NHL players on the teams, but I HATE the Olympic break in season.  Players risk injury mid-season, playing for a team that is not paying their salary.  I don't blame the players for wanting to play and if given the opportunity, they should take it.

As far as G is concerned, I think Snider over-reacted (SHOCKER!!!).  Yeah, I think G is better than some on that team, but teams are not always built by putting the most talented players together.  You build a team by putting the right complimentary pieces around the best pieces.  Who knows what the thought process was there...maybe it was political, I'm just not that worked up over it because I'm not that sad to see G staying home.  I think it is better for the Flyers and hopefully he gets a bug up his butt the rest of the season to show everyone how wrong they were to leave him off. 

Maybe Snider in his warp way is saying this stuff to give Giroux a bug up his butt for being left off the Olympic team and goes out and prove everybody wrong. Everybody knew that Yzerman was going to choose St.Louis to save face and St.Louis was the sentimental favourite amongest Canadian fans. Hopefully Giroux rests and gets ready for the remainder of the regular season. Who knows maybe Crosby will get hurt and have to miss the rest of the season :)

Maybe Snider in his warp way is saying this stuff to give Giroux a bug up his butt for being left off the Olympic team and goes out and prove everybody wrong. Everybody knew that Yzerman was going to choose St.Louis to save face and St.Louis was the sentimental favourite amongest Canadian fans. Hopefully Giroux rests and gets ready for the remainder of the regular season. Who knows maybe Crosby will get hurt and have to miss the rest of the season :)

MSL was the right pick before Giroux. Not favoritism by any  means, as noted by most regulars here during the initial discussion after the exclusions.  

I just laugh when the old man gets worked up anymore, even if I agree with him (not about him being better than half the team, but him not being picked over some of the guys that got selected). I don't know why he's so mad. I could care less about Olympic hockey. It's fun to watch, but I care way more about an NHL season than a medal. If the U.S. won a gold, I'd think "neat" and would last all of a few minutes.

Yzerman has made some truly bad choices this year. I hope it bites him in the ass.

I'll second this

First, the only thing that I care less about than the Olympics is who Canada sends to them.

Seriously. And no offense to Canada. Don't really care who the US sends either.

I hate that the league I follow is shut down for two weeks just when it's starting to get interesting. Same for a couple shows I watch, too.

I wish I remembered whom, but someone in this board reminded me that the Olympics aren't just an all star team do it's not always just whose playing best at the moment but who fits the team best.

Team Canada lost a sniper. MSL isn't the pure sniper that Stamkos is but he's got a pretty good one timer from that side. If... Still an if... he's going to be slotted on Crosby's right, then he was simply the best fit of the leading candidates.

Just an aside on Kunitz. Stats justify his going and if Crosby is more comfortable with him, that's decent reason for him to go. My concern with him is the bigger ice surface. I am just wondering if that will make his crashing net less effective

Snider hollering about his Giroux not making it is just an "atta boy" aimed at his player.  I'm guessing he is secretly relieved that Giroux is going to be able to rest and avoid the orange water and potential terrorist threats in Sochi.

Team Canada is stacked enough that one player shouldn't make or break the team.

Yes, Claude Giroux is better than at least half the forwards on the roster, points wise, multiple roles wise, pretty much every kind of wise.  Definitely better since the rosters was selected.  But I'm fine with him getting a break.  The Stanley Cup is far more significant a goal.

edit: There are also several others of note that deserved consideration over the current roster, but Canada was only allowed to ice one team at a time, so, c'est la vie.

Sure...except that Giroux is about as close to winning gold with Canada as he is to a cup in Philly this year.

Sure...except that Giroux is about as close to winning gold with Canada as he is to a cup in Philly this year.

Yeah, well, there's that.

There's also the fact he's just as likely to have miserable things happen in Chinatown as Socchi

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Snider-rips-Yzerman-for-bypassing-Flyers-Giroux.html

“It’s a farce,” Snider fumed. “He’s one of the best players in the league. He’s better than half the guys on that (Olympic) team.”

Snider was just getting started.

“Anybody who thinks Claude Giroux doesn’t belong on the Olympic team, they don’t know anything about hockey, as far as I’m concerned,” he said.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Snider-rips-Yzerman-for-bypassing-Flyers-Giroux.html#iRDkj2x1t4yg5I2b.99

For comparison's sakehttp://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/feature/?id=1131

There are a few guys I would certainly agree with, but I don't see Giroux as obviously, hands-down better than seven of the forwards on that roster.

Myself I'm ok he's not there maybe it will serve as motivation, plus less chance he gets hurt...keep him away from the golf clubs!! ;)

Edited by OccamsRazor

I don't care whether Giroux went or not and am kind of glad he isn't.

But I just think Yzerman is nuts for not taking Tye McGinn.  Does the guy want to win or not?  If yes, then to leave the best player home is just insanity.

I don't care whether Giroux went or not and am kind of glad he isn't.

But I just think Yzerman is nuts for not taking Tye McGinn.  Does the guy want to win or not?  If yes, then to leave the best player home is just insanity.

What good could possibly come from Giroux playing?

If Canada won gold and Giroux was part of that experience  it couldn't possibly benefit him as much as the rest he'll get NOT playing. Cause professional athletes need a rest  in the middle of the season. Hey, look how  much good it did him to take the playoffs off least season and get more golf in during the summer.

• Like 1

What good could possibly come from Giroux playing?

If Canada won gold and Giroux was part of that experience  it couldn't possibly benefit him as much as the rest he'll get NOT playing. Cause professional athletes need a rest  in the middle of the season. Hey, look how  much good it did him to take the playoffs off least season and get more golf in during the summer.

That's funny.   But yes, I think we agree that NOT playing will likely do him more good than playing.   Hard to say since we won't be able to compare outcomes, but I'm kind of in that camp.   

I'm just hoping Giroux DOESN'T play golf during the break.

Perhaps on the other side of the ledger, maybe Grioux dominates on the world stage, takes his confidence to new heights and the roll continues into the playoffs....unlikely but possible.

Could break a leg and never play again!

Hey, this speculation thing is fun!

:ph34r:

@ruxpin

I don't think NOT playing will do him more good than playing. What's he resting up for...that 5 game playoff trouncing from the Bruins or Penguins? Actually, with the sched we have coming up, there may not be playoffs. And even if there is, all those teams will have plenty of players who were in the Olympics. Timonen could use the rest. Giroux could use the experience.

@ruxpin

I don't think NOT playing will do him more good than playing. What's he resting up for...that 5 game playoff trouncing from the Bruins or Penguins? Actually, with the sched we have coming up, there may not be playoffs. And even if there is, all those teams will have plenty of players who were in the Olympics. Timonen could use the rest. Giroux could use the experience.

Ah, got you.  Sorry, too early for me to catch the sarcasm (it's not 5:00 yet).  

Yeah, I get your point.  I guess there's the risk of rust, too.   If he'd gone, I'd have been fine.  He's not going, and I'm fine.  Ultimately, the whole thing really isn't much of a concern to me.  Yes, Timonen could definitely use the rest.  That's a lot more of an issue to me than Giroux, actually.  

I'm not sure where I am on the benefits or negatives of actually making the playoffs.  I'll be cheering for them to make the playoffs because I guess that's what I'm supposed to do and it does keep hockey more relevant to me for a little longer.   But I always fear that simply making them gives our ridiculous front office cause celeb to think we're THAT close...if only we can add that final 35 year old piece we're gold!

I guess just see how it plays out.   I'm lost making any predictions at this point.

I am with Snider on this.  Big time.  And Canada will pay dearly.  No medal for you Canada.   This was just stupid.  Just like Ryan.

So Marty St. Louis, who has ONE less point than Giroux, in one less game, is a huge step down for Team Canada? If Canada doesn't medal, it will be because of goaltending, NOT Giroux, St. Louis, Stamkos, Staal or Neal.

• 3 weeks later...