Snider Rips Yzerman over Giroux "snub"

radoran

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Snider-rips-Yzerman-for-bypassing-Flyers-Giroux.html

“It’s a farce,” Snider fumed. “He’s one of the best players in the league. He’s better than half the guys on that (Olympic) team.”

Snider was just getting started.

“Anybody who thinks Claude Giroux doesn’t belong on the Olympic team, they don’t know anything about hockey, as far as I’m concerned,” he said.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Snider-rips-Yzerman-for-bypassing-Flyers-Giroux.html#iRDkj2x1t4yg5I2b.99

For comparison's sake

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/feature/?id=1131

There are a few guys I would certainly agree with, but I don't see Giroux as obviously, hands-down better than seven of the forwards on that roster.

@radoran  It's outrageous for Snider to even consider saying that. Better than half the players there....pfffft. Claude is not there cause he got off to a HORRIBLE start on the season. On such a talented team, there is no room for slumps...he has to own that.

• Like 1

@TimKerrFan12  Based on stats...Nash does not belong there...but Nash has dominated at the Olympics before. The line of Towes, Richards and Nash was Canada's best line in Vancouver for many games. That and he drives the net like a beast in International play. He dictates and imposes his will on others....Claude can't do that.

Giroux has more points than all  but two on that roster over the past three years, more points this year than all but five on that roster, and more points than anyone on that roster, since it was announced.

So for Snider to say G has more talent than half of them isn't far fetched at all.

So why is it ok for some players to be there for their past play, but some aren't. I would like to see the model they were following for the picks they made.

I understand where you are coming from, but in Nash's defense...he has a specific skill set the Canadian brain thrust was seeking. When Nash is driving the net hard, and pulls that stiff arm separating the d-man from the puck (and using his body as a shield), there is literally no d-man that has an answer for that move.

I may be acting childish, but I am so pissed about Giroux not being there, that I will not watch them or cheer for them. You think any GM would take Giroux in a trade Giroux straight up for a good number of those guys on that team? Giroux for Kunitz. lol. Ridiculous.

There is the obvious point that putting together a successful team isn't the same as assembling the "best" players.

Russia's going to have a ton of talent on the squad, for example, but IMO won't be the best "team" while Finland, for example, will not have the most talent but will still be one of the stronger "teams."

If Giroux had had seasons like the one he had three years ago in the next two after that, he'd be on the team.

So for Snider to say G has more talent than half of them isn't far fetched at all.

The roster link is there - care to take a shot at the seven forwards that Giroux is obviously, hand-down better than?

I'll take Duchene, Kunitz, Nash, Crater and Benn.

You know that Crater on the team really, really burns Snider.

@jammer2 - on another note, I'm really, really liking the two NCAA Catamounts on Team Canada :)

I will say this though....Carter over Giroux is a TOTAL AND COMPLETE JOKE!!!!  I didn't know high and wide was an Olympic per-requisite!!!

G beats out Carter in every faucet of the game, skating, stick-handling, physicality, vision.....Carter only beats him on pure release time...but that shot misses the net so often......that is a FARCE!!!

Well I do agree with Ed once he starts talking about sending the players to the Olympics.  The fact that they have to take such a long break in mid-season is really ridiculous.  I love watching the level of hockey with the NHL players on the teams, but I HATE the Olympic break in season.  Players risk injury mid-season, playing for a team that is not paying their salary.  I don't blame the players for wanting to play and if given the opportunity, they should take it.

As far as G is concerned, I think Snider over-reacted (SHOCKER!!!).  Yeah, I think G is better than some on that team, but teams are not always built by putting the most talented players together.  You build a team by putting the right complimentary pieces around the best pieces.  Who knows what the thought process was there...maybe it was political, I'm just not that worked up over it because I'm not that sad to see G staying home.  I think it is better for the Flyers and hopefully he gets a bug up his butt the rest of the season to show everyone how wrong they were to leave him off. 

• Like 2

I will say this though....Carter over Giroux is a TOTAL AND COMPLETE JOKE!!!!  I didn't know high and wide was an Olympic per-requisite!!!

G beats out Carter in every faucet of the game, skating, stick-handling, physicality, vision.....Carter only beats him on pure release time...but that shot misses the net so often......that is a FARCE!!!

I totally agree with that. And that's really what's burning Snider IMO.

At least they didn't put Crater and Richards on the team. Probably would have sent Mr. Snider right over the razor's edge.

I totally agree with that. And that's really what's burning Snider IMO.

At least they didn't put Crater and Richards on the team. Probably would have sent Mr. Snider right over the razor's edge.

I really can't wrap my head around how Carter beats out Giroux. Carter plays such a iffy brand of defense...no tenacity, no desperation...I just can't get it.

I just laugh when the old man gets worked up anymore, even if I agree with him (not about him being better than half the team, but him not being picked over some of the guys that got selected). I don't know why he's so mad. I could care less about Olympic hockey. It's fun to watch, but I care way more about an NHL season than a medal. If the U.S. won a gold, I'd think "neat" and would last all of a few minutes.

Yzerman has made some truly bad choices this year. I hope it bites him in the ass.

• Like 1

@radoran  It's outrageous for Snider to even consider saying that. Better than half the players there....pfffft. Claude is not there cause he got off to a HORRIBLE start on the season. On such a talented team, there is no room for slumps...he has to own that.

I think Snider has reached the point where he should be seen but not heard.

@jammer2

@radoran

I believe at the time of selection Carter was a winger with a good few more goals scored this season than Giroux. Since then Giroux has played well and caught up some while Carter has slumped. But I believe we looked at it at the time and that made sense.

Yeah, but that flies in the face of the Nash selection.

Really, there is no "criteria" and each guy is selected individually based on the whims at the time.

Essentially, the same way some guys manage a hockey franchise... :ph34r:

Yeah, but that flies in the face of the Nash selection.

Really, there is no "criteria" and each guy is selected individually based on the whims at the time.

Essentially, the same way some guys manage a hockey franchise... :ph34r:

Sounds about right rad. There really is no rhyme or reason, you can pull your hair out trying to makes sense of this mess!!!

Take away Giroux's year with Jagr three seasons ago and he doesn't stand out at all. Add that to the bad start this year and the ither centers on the Canada squad and you have Yzerman making the right choice. Just saying...

How would I know you would type exactly that?  lol. I only agree to a point...

His skill level is sick.  One has to be blind to pretent that isn't true. His drive and determination and ability to capitalize on chances is a whole different discussion.

I don't have a problem with him been left out of Team Canada.  I really don't.  Like many here said, you have to earn that.  But to say he "doesn't stand out" is just being deliberately biased, which, again, doesn't surprise me really that much.... no offense.

Edited by Mad Dog
  • Like 1