Do the Blues need to make a splash or stay pat

stlbluesfan4ever

Heading into the Olympic break, the Note is tied for best record in the central, but hold the tie breaker over the hawks, with three games in hand, and three points out of the best record in the league, So, we all hear the rumors, but other than the Blues recent few games blowing late leads to pull out the victory in shootout or at least getting one of the two points. Do the Blues really need to make a move to be true cup contenders, or are they better off to build on the young core's confidence and feel we have the parts but just need to get them playing at higher level. 

@stlbluesfan4ever   I can see them making a move for a scoring winger. I figure Stewart (who is buried in the doghouse and may never get out) and 3rd string goalie Jake Allen could be the pieces moving the other way. The 2 starting goalies and defense look solid enough, but they really could use one more top 6 winger. Whoever comes back must play a solid two way brand of hockey, which rules out a Moulson deal. Maybe a rental like Verbata for Stewart and Allen, the Yotes could use some depth at wing and in net....and a change of scenery may be what Stewart really needs. He's a good player who has lost his way in St.Louis.

The rumor of Stewart on the block wont go away, I know he is streaky but he is the type of big body that comes in handy for the post season.

In one way Hitch already made a move. Derek Roy started the season very well, a power play stud and solid play but went a dozen games with like two points and was floating a bit, Hitch embarrassed the vet and challenged him by sitting him for three out of four games. Since his return he may actually be their best forward at least in the four games I have watched. A pep in his step from having a size 11 shoe from Hitch properly placed as it were.

I have heard Miller but I don't see it, the goalies are fine. If you go with Halak and Elliot whover starts knows he has to bust his butt to keep the job. If you go with Miller after giving up a solid package for him than you are married to him for the post season even if he is less than solid.

Berglund is living in chateau bow wow right now from what I have seen, his offensive zone minutes appear to be down, he will get it in gear soon.

Maybe a forward, a top six type, that is all I think this team might need.

@bunnyman  Tarasenko is easily the Blues most skilled forward since Bernie Federko hung up the skates. I agree, he should go no where. When you start talking Tavares, you are talking about ripping your core right apart, Oshie-Shattenkirk-Backes to start with, or some kind of mind boggling package like that. Johnny T is not going anywhere, he is the franchise on the Island.

I'm up in the air if we should make any move before the deadline, I think we are pretty solid, but we do seem to be lacking something, so I think a minor trade or at least  a minor star for another minor star might be ok. However, I can say with pretty good confidence, that Jake Allen is the future of this team, the strong development of Allen is what led to the trading of Bishop and Berra in the past few seasons, who both at the current time are starting goaltenders in the NHL,and Bishop is having a season worth Vezina consideration,  Which has to say alot about the Blues having strong confidence and strong desire to see Jake allen be the Blues' future Franchise goalie. I wouldn't be surprised and would actually expect to see Halak or Elliott moved to add assets, since both Keepers are UFAs and Allen's contract next season is one way. Though Miller would be quite a impressive mentor to Allen and help the Blues ease Allen into the #1 job over time, I have a feeling that trading one of our current goalies and keeping and resigning the other to split time with Allen is a much cheaper and more realistic option. But, I do think some young star power could add the secondary scoring that the blues are lacking and need to compete long term as Stanley cup contenders. maybe not at the deadline, but in the offseason , I think the Blues shouldn't close the door on trying to sign Thomas Vanek, everyone thinks he's too much and he already plans to go to the Wild, but I think the Blues are alittle closer to being a cup contender than the Wild are at this time, and that could go far in his decision where to sign.

@stlbluesfan4ever  The Blues messed up LARGE trading Bishop. Regardless of how promising Allen might me. I'm sure, if they knew what they know now, they would have never made that move. Easy to say in retrospect, but Bishop is so big and agile, how you give up a goalie with that type of physical stature is beyond me. I guess you can ask the Sens and their 2nd round pick the same question. They picked the wrong goalie also, keeping Lehner over Bishop. Ben literally looks like the second coming of Pekka Rinne, except he's a bit bigger, and maybe slightly less agile.

I've seen Allen play a few games. I can say this, when he is on, he looks unbeatable....and when he is off (like so many young tenders) the wheels fall off quick. When Halak and Elliot were hurt last year, he stepped in and played some outstanding hockey. When you mention the one way deal of Allen, and the pending UFA status of H&E...a trade looks inevitable. A top 6 forward would not hurt, but they are a solid team as it stands right now.

Stewart, Halak, a prospect and a pick to buffalo for Moulson and Miller

Just don't see it.    Blues need help in scoring goals depth.   Stewart is six in goal scoring on the team while getting only 13:00 of ice time per game.  This would take away some of their secondary scoring to add Moulson. I can't see how that it makes that big of a change to the team.

Goaltending is not the Blues issue, so I just don't see them changing that up. The Halak/Elliot combination works. I don't ever think I've seen a highly ranked playoff team change goalie strategy down the stretch. 

Just don't see it. Blues need help in scoring goals depth. Stewart is six in goal scoring on the team while getting only 13:00 of ice time per game. This would take away some of their secondary scoring to add Moulson. I can't see how that it makes that big of a change to the team.

Goaltending is not the Blues issue, so I just don't see them changing that up. The Halak/Elliot combination works. I don't ever think I've seen a highly ranked playoff team change goalie strategy down the stretch.

I can't think of an example either. If I'm the Blues I stand pat, honestly. I think Moulson could be a worthwhile piece, though.

I do think Miller would be an upgrade to what they have. I'm not sold on Halak.

But as you say, a goalie change at the deadline would be strange at the very least

I can't think of an example either. If I'm the Blues I stand pat, honestly. I think Moulson could be a worthwhile piece, though.

I do think Miller would be an upgrade to what they have. I'm not sold on Halak.

But as you say, a goalie change at the deadline would be strange at the very least

I think Moulson would be a worthwhile piece also, but not at an expence of Stewart.   If they want Moulson, offer prospects/picks instead and REALLY improve your team.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's a good splash, didn't cost us too much more than what we wanted to move, and we made strong additions to the team. Definely a exciting  time to be a Blues fan. I did predict that Halak or elliott would be moved and I was afraid the team might try to take the easy route with the goalies, but I'm glad that we took the chance to do something big.