USA/Canada. Forget the men...

B21

Is anyone else more excited to watch the (almost) inevitable USA/Canada Women's Gold Medal game?

Apparently the Canadian women are a bunch of cheap shot artists? ;)

Could we have a brawl in Sochi, too?

Hope the whip cream and jello is ready.

@B21  It is kind of a joke how Canada and the US are the only teams that shine each Olympic year, you'd figure one of those countries would at least strengthen their progams enough to be competitive with the Big 2??  Judging from early results, it will be a 2 women race, as always. Fun for us, but bad for the sport as a whole.

• Like 1

@B21  It is kind of a joke how Canada and the US are the only teams that shine each Olympic year, you'd figure one of those countries would at least strengthen their progams enough to be competitive with the Big 2??  Judging from early results, it will be a 2 women race, as always. Fun for us, but bad for the sport as a whole.

I think that's true for a lot of women's team sports.  The gap between the best teams and the "rest" is huge.  I don't follow women's college basketball but it seems like UConn and maybe a handful of other teams are the top teams year after year.  Not unusual in and of itself but they regularly beat teams in the top 20 by 30 and 40 points.

I'm sure USA 9 Switzerland 0 this morning was closer than the score indicates. ;)

• Like 1

@B21

We were talking about it last night after ballhockey over a beer. How much longer do they give gold and silver to Canada and the US every single year before they get rid of womens hockey?

Let's be honest, they can't get rid of women's Olympic hockey. It would be considered descrimination, and rightfully so.

If men's hockey is a legitimate Olympic sport, then so is women's. It has nothing to do with one or two countries dominating a sport or not that make it a legitimate sport. Jamaica and the States tend to dominate sprinting events, but that doesn't make it any less of an Olympic sport. 

The better question is when do they get rid of the penalty for bodychecking?  ;)

Or, conversely, get rid of bodychecking in men's Olympic hockey? Make the rules the same.

They made a change in the seeding after the last Olympics to minimize the number of blowout games.  They are now grouped according to world ranking. The format was introduced at the 2012 world championships.

Group A Canada, United States, Finland and Switzerland

Russia, Sweden, Germany and Japan are in Group B.

After the preliminary round robin, the bottom two Group A teams will play the top two from Group B in the quarter-finals.
The winners move on to the semis to play the top two teams in Group A.

• Like 1

Let's be honest, they can't get rid of women's Olympic hockey. It would be considered descrimination, and rightfully so.

If men's hockey is a legitimate Olympic sport, then so is women's. It has nothing to do with one or two countries dominating a sport or not that make it a legitimate sport. Jamaica and the States tend to dominate sprinting events, but that doesn't make it any less of an Olympic sport. 

The better question is when do they get rid of the penalty for bodychecking?  ;)

Or, conversely, get rid of bodychecking in men's Olympic hockey? Make the rules the same.

Not necessarily.  In the 100 Metre Dash, the last 7 Silver Medalists have been from Jamaica, Trinidad, Portugal, Trinidad again, Namibia, Namibia again and Great Britain.  The last two Golds have been Usain Bolt and, before that, USA, USA, Canada and Great Britain.  Sure, the US and Jamaica are traditional powers in the sport but that's hardly the same domination we see in women's hockey every Winter Olympics.  With the exception of Bolt, no one is blowing away the competition the way the US and Canada regularly score 9-0 wins over the Switzerlands of the world.

With the exception of 2006, it's been USA/Canada winning Gold/Silver every year.

Not necessarily.  In the 100 Metre Dash, the last 7 Silver Medalists have been from Jamaica, Trinidad, Portugal, Trinidad again, Namibia, Namibia again and Great Britain.  The last two Golds have been Usain Bolt and, before that, USA, USA, Canada and Great Britain.  Sure, the US and Jamaica are traditional powers in the sport but that's hardly the same domination we see in women's hockey every Winter Olympics.  With the exception of Bolt, no one is blowing away the competition the way the US and Canada regularly score 9-0 wins over the Switzerlands of the world.

With the exception of 2006, it's been USA/Canada winning Gold/Silver every year.

Well true, but I don't think that has really any bearing on my point. The sprinting is just an example of domination, albeit a weak one when compared to women's hockey. I'm trying to say that one or two countries dominating a sport doesn't make it any less of a legit Olympic sport. If, hypothetically, Jamaica and the US held all the medals in sprinting going back a decade, would there be talk of removing that sport? No. If a sport is considered an Olympic sport than it should be part of the Olympics, regardless of who wins.

Taking away women's hockey just because it's dominated by two countries is a silly notion. If men have Olympic hockey, then women have the right to compete too. You can't take away one without taking away the other and not be accused of descrimination.

It's not Canada or the States' fault that other countries don't have the interest or the program to compete at the Olympic level.

Edited by Commander Clueless

Well true, but I don't think that has really any bearing on my point. The sprinting is just an example of domination, albeit a weak one when compared to women's hockey. I'm trying to say that one or two countries dominating a sport doesn't make it any less of a legit Olympic sport. If, hypothetically, Jamaica and the US held all the medals in sprinting going back a decade, would there be talk of removing that sport? No. If a sport is considered an Olympic sport than it should be part of the Olympics, regardless of who wins.

Taking away women's hockey just because it's dominated by two countries is a silly notion. If men have Olympic hockey, then women have the right to compete too. You can't take away one without taking away the other and not be accused of descrimination.

It's not Canada or the States' fault that other countries don't have the interest or the program to compete at the Olympic level.

Agree.  Just trying to point out that there are different levels of domination.  Track & Field has been around forever and the current "power" has evolved over time especially as more countries starting participating in the Olympic Games.  That's true for almost all Olympic sports. 

Women's Ice Hockey is still relatively new and I'd willing to give it a few more changes before pulling the plug.  But the other countries need to catch up fast.

I agree, and I hope some of the other countries can be more competitive.  Finland was able to keep the US under five goals.  Also, Russia came back to win 4-1 ... although they were playing Germany.  The Russian fans in attendance were really into it and cheered their team on quite loudly, which was good to see.

I didn't see the whole game, but Finland looked *very* respectable in losing to Canada 3-0...some nice tight checking, excellent defensive zone coverage. They did not look out of place at all, at times, they had Canada back on their heels. Without seeing any of the other teams, Finland has to be considered a fav for Bronze....if they are not, the gap has closed considerably, based on that game.

Truthfully, there are two aspects of this to be considered (beyond the aforementioned):

1) Population

2) How much pesos available

3) Culture 

On point 1, both USA and Canada have a much deeper well of talent to pull from because of the overall population. Whereas a country like Switzerland does not. 

On point 2, each country only has so much denero to spend on its olympic programs. Both USA and Canada have University (and underlying programs) for womens hockey. Many other smaller countries do not have that type of infrastructure. 

On point 3, even in the US and Canada, men always prevail in popularity. Fortunately the womens side has grown allot- in large part to the USA-Canada rivalry. 

The challenge is how do these smaller countries field a team that can pull out a "miracle" (ala USA Womens Soccer) that will elevate the sport in their respective country. 

• Like 1

@Vanflyer

I agree on all points, especially 2 and 3.

Growing up even as recently as the 1980s, it seemed to me like women weren't expected to even watch much sports, let alone watch hockey.  I didn't grow up watching sports either, in fact, but began following hockey along with the other sports in the mid 1990s when I was in college.  So ... I guess I can tell my dad I was raised right, after all.  :lol:

Edited by Chicago Hawkie
  • Like 1

I have heard that the IOC is considering dropping women's hockey next Olympics. As far as the US being in the semi-finals, don't the top seeds get byes? Though I don't know how that would've happened if they shared the same group as Canada.

I have heard that the IOC is considering dropping women's hockey next Olympics. As far as the US being in the semi-finals, don't the top seeds get byes? Though I don't know how that would've happened if they shared the same group as Canada.

I can understand why, but it is a big step backward. The travesty for me in all this is that Womens hockey (by and large) are still amateurs. It all comes down to cost / reward, and that is a shame (ie. smaller countries can not compete with powerhouse countries that have womens hockey infrastructure already in place). The saddest part is, why can not the IOC and the olympic world see the intense rivalry and competitiveness of Canada / USA and embrace it to help promote it in other regions / countries of the world??

There are one overwhelming point I would like to make to the IOC: 

1) There have been 22 Winter Olympiads since Ice Hockey was introduced (1920). In that span, there are some compelling things: 

a) Canada has won 8 gold medals (the 2002 was after a 50 year drought, and the last of course coming on home soil- no rhetoric there). 

b) United State has won 8 silver medals (many of those going against the Canucks). 

c) Russia has won 6 gold medals (and perhaps the most dominant fashion because it was within a 28 year span.

d) Overall, since the 1920 Winter Olympiad, here are the totals for mens ice hockey:

- Canada> 14 Medals

- USA> 10 Medals (never a bronze)

- Russia> 9 Medals

It is very illuminating to see that and very disappointing if the IOC continues towards abolishing womens hockey from the Olympiad. Had the forefathers felt the way the current "Fathers" feel, there would be no Mens ice hockey in the Olympics. 

• Like 1

@Vanflyer

Valid point VF. Never looked at it that way. I guess being around for the womens first few Olympics puts them more in the limelight when it comes to their domination. And the fact that there's 4 or 5 mens teams that could win gold, compared to the usual one or the other in womens.

The tv rating are in. Apparently, more Canadians watched their Women's team play than Americans watched the USA men's team compete....wow....great support for our Women....very proud of that!

Sure the NHL does not like that one bit! Betteman can use these ratings to lead the charge to not attending the next games!

The tv rating are in. Apparently, more Canadians watched their Women's team play than Americans watched the USA men's team compete....wow....great support for our Women....very proud of that!

Sure the NHL does not like that one bit! Betteman can use these ratings to lead the charge to not attending the next games!

Maybe they should have the hockey team arrive in monster trucks? (ducks for cover)