I waited 4 years for THIS?! (Olympic curling)

SpikeDDS

The more I follow US curling, the more I realize I am punishing myself for many deeds done during my childhood. Don't know if there are any other curling fans among us, but did anyone else see the Scots completely annihilate the US women? They actually scored SEVEN IN ONE END! I don't think I've EVER seen a rink throw up a 7 before at that level. Never. Not never any more. Embarrassing.

And I must say, they those Scottish ladies are not bad to look at. At all! Gotta like the view when they are bent over throwing rocks.

I'm a big curling fan, but living down here in ATL, I never get the opportunity to watch the Brier or anything, so it's pretty much Olympics only. I've gotta wait 4 years to get my fix. 4 years ago both the US men and the women came in dead last. Four years later, they start off 0-2 and 0-3, looking pretty bad doing so (the women worse than the men this time). PAINFUL to watch!

And what's up with the Canadian rink starting off 1-2?

Anybody else suffering with me?

Quite simple with the mens curling, Shuster came back. The man is horrible, every time they need a shot he chokes.. If as a country he is the best we have than we are downright bad.

Canada, it is quite simple what is wrong there as well,  Kevin 'The Bear' Martin did NOT return, along with the deadliest third shooter ever, John Morris. The new team is stil finding itself and has been horrible.

As far as the women go, ugh is all that I can say.

I have heard the announcers say that their is dirt in the ice but even if the ice is less than pristine both teams have to play on the same ice, so that is no excuse.

Quite simple with the mens curling, Shuster came back. The man is horrible, every time they need a shot he chokes.. If as a country he is the best we have than we are downright bad.

Canada, it is quite simple what is wrong there as well,  Kevin 'The Bear' Martin did NOT return, along with the deadliest third shooter ever, John Morris. The new team is stil finding itself and has been horrible.

As far as the women go, ugh is all that I can say.

I have heard the announcers say that their is dirt in the ice but even if the ice is less than pristine both teams have to play on the same ice, so that is no excuse.

Agree on Morris all the way. His best international showcase was Vancouver 2010. I actually thought that he might break off from Martin and skip his own rink, but it's stupid leaving a team that is so good. I'm really surprised Jacobs beat Martin's guys, actually going through the tournament with a perfect record. Even Martin didn't do that before 2010.

Jacobs and his crew are not playing very well. They still make Shuster look like a fool, though. I was really hoping Pete Fenson would get in instead of Shuster. I agree. Shuster chokes when it counts. But it seems to come and go. In the US Olympic Trials, he won 2 out of 3 against Fenson: he won the first in an extra end, lost the next in an extra end, and then--IN A TOTAL SURPRISE--scored 5 in one end on Fenson, and get this: Fenson conceded after 4 down 11-1! Fenson just died that game and Shuster made him pay. Unfortunately our best curler had his worst game at the worst time.

Yea! We beat Denmark, and Shoes played a solid game, but they pretty much have to be perfect now through the RR and we haven't played Canada or GBR yet.

We're done.

• Like 1

I think curling looks like it could be fun to play. It's got the appeal of some backyard games, bar room games, or niche sport (Frisbee golf) that seems different and fun. But I think it's an embarrassment this is an Olympic sport. There are so many more things that have been cut from the Olympics, were never Olympic sports to begin with, and are simply more athletic than this game (because that's what it is, a game, not a sport).

Exactly what I have always said of Golf.  A game.  Not a sport.  If a 65 year old man can compete against a 35 yr old man, what does that tell you?

I don't think golf is a sport either. I respect good golfers. God knows I'm not one of them. They can do something not everybody can, but it doesn't require athleticism. I guess you could say the same thing about any events involving shooting (guns or bows), minus cross country skiing. That is pretty intense.

Edited by fanaticV3.0

@Hockey Junkie

@fanaticV3.0 

@SpikeDDS

Gentlemen-  Not only as a fan of curling, but a curler myself, I can tell you that curling is INDEED a sport worthy of its place in the Olympics.  The amount of physical effort required during a single game is extraordinary.  Yes, it is a contest that just about anyone can get into and enjoy, however, physical fitness usually prevails.  

Now, to go back to Spike's original post, the US is not doing very well and a lot of us curlers are wondering why they take the shots that they take, which tend to put them deeper into the holes they dig for themselves.

Women's curling on the other hand is indeed a spectator sport, and if one is so inclined, a number of calendars are made and sold featuring some of the more appealing ladies in rather racy (but tasteful) poses.  Think that Swiss Third looks pretty good?  She looks a lot better nude.

@Hockey Junkie

@fanaticV3.0 

@SpikeDDS

Gentlemen-  Not only as a fan of curling, but a curler myself, I can tell you that curling is INDEED a sport worthy of its place in the Olympics.  The amount of physical effort required during a single game is extraordinary.  Yes, it is a contest that just about anyone can get into and enjoy, however, physical fitness usually prevails.  

Now, to go back to Spike's original post, the US is not doing very well and a lot of us curlers are wondering why they take the shots that they take, which tend to put them deeper into the holes they dig for themselves.

Women's curling on the other hand is indeed a spectator sport, and if one is so inclined, a number of calendars are made and sold featuring some of the more appealing ladies in rather racy (but tasteful) poses.  Think that Swiss Third looks pretty good?  She looks a lot better nude.

I'm sore after a day of golf, but I still don't think that's a sport either. To me curling is golf or bowling. It requires physical effort, but doesn't require athleticism.

@fanaticV3.0

Try it....

Depending on ice conditions, a two-hour game of curling can leave you absolutely exhausted.  When was the last time you were completely out of breath while bowling of golfing?

I had actually read an article on the physical effort of curling.  They had attached some kind of device to each of the curlers on Team Kevin Martin, the gold medalists in Vancouver.  Each of them logged approximately 1,000-1,700 calories burned in one match.

It's a lot.  The athleticism comes, not only in the form of muscular control to allow for proper delivery and more effective sweeping, but also in endurance, so those muscles can keep performing in the later stages of the game (where the shots REALLY count).

@fanaticV3.0

Try it....

Depending on ice conditions, a two-hour game of curling can leave you absolutely exhausted.  When was the last time you were completely out of breath while bowling of golfing?

I had actually read an article on the physical effort of curling.  They had attached some kind of device to each of the curlers on Team Kevin Martin, the gold medalists in Vancouver.  Each of them logged approximately 1,000-1,700 calories burned in one match.

It's a lot.  The athleticism comes, not only in the form of muscular control to allow for proper delivery and more effective sweeping, but also in endurance, so those muscles can keep performing in the later stages of the game (where the shots REALLY count).

I would try it. It looks fun, but it also looks like something I'd do while drinking a beer.

Out of breath, never. Sore as hell, plenty of times.

I would try it. It looks fun, but it also looks like something I'd do while drinking a beer.

Having the beer definitely helps, although some restrictions apply (no glass on the ice!!)

And it is also curling tradition that the winner buys the first (of many) round of drinks after the game.

@Hockey Junkie

@fanaticV3.0 

@SpikeDDS

They take the shots they take in large part because they don't have the skill level to prevent the other teams from putting them in a position to make more challenging (and thus high-pressure) shots.

Actually, for the women, Brown looks LOST. She doesn't have a clue what kind of weight she's throwing on any given shot. VERY inconsistent. Time for Pottinger to step in and help her. Might be good to let Pottinger throw fourth and let Deb sit. She's not any better than Brown is.

The guys have a LITTLE life, but I see no way that they can catch any of the top-4 unless one of those teams absolutely goes belly-up from here on out.

I actually like the Scottish third, Anna Sloan. Not as slim as Muirhead, but gorgeous eyes. I'm sure she's look great in provocative poses, but I don't really do that kind of thing. But I enjoy watching that team play. The Swiss third is also very nice.

I'm sore after a day of golf, but I still don't think that's a sport either. To me curling is golf or bowling. It requires physical effort, but doesn't require athleticism.

Then archery is not a sport. Then riflery or handgun shooting is not a sport. Then auto racing is not a sport.

There is athletic value in being able to perform and/or reproduce precision movements on timely demand. It cannot be done if one is not fit.

And as a fellow curler, until you have swept HARD from hogline to the house on a stone with insufficient weight yourself, you have NO idea how much energy and fitness it takes to sweep those stones into place, not to mention the smarts to know when to stop if necessary. And remember, you can't hit anything else, and you have only one foot that grips the ice. The other is teflon-to-ice. Slippery as heck! You're supposed to sweep hard while keeping your balance with only one foot. Granted, the skips don't do too much sweeping, but they had to in order to become skip. You don't just start as a skip. You start by sweeping and learning the game from skips who know more than you do. But even the skip from Russia lost his footing sweeping a rock in the house and fell and smacked his head right into the ice. No helmets. Trust me...that HURTS like a SOB!

Edited by SpikeDDS

@SpikeDDS  Just out of total curiosity, are their "elite sweepers" in Curling...people who just sweep better than others?  Also, what would happen if you tripped and or fell and knocked another teams (or your team for that matter) rock, is there a stiff penalty for that?

They take the shots they take in large part because they don't have the skill level to prevent the other teams from putting them in a position to make more challenging (and thus high-pressure) shots.

Actually, for the women, Brown looks LOST. She doesn't have a clue what kind of weight she's throwing on any given shot. VERY inconsistent. Time for Pottinger to step in and help her. Might be good to let Pottinger throw fourth and let Deb sit. She's not any better than Brown is.

The guys have a LITTLE life, but I see no way that they can catch any of the top-4 unless one of those teams absolutely goes belly-up from here on out.

I actually like the Scottish third, Anna Sloan. Not as slim as Muirhead, but gorgeous eyes. I'm sure she's look great in provocative poses, but I don't really do that kind of thing. But I enjoy watching that team play. The Swiss third is also very nice.

Then archery is not a sport. Then riflery or handgun shooting is not a sport. Then auto racing is not a sport.

There is athletic value in being able to perform and/or reproduce precision movements on timely demand. It cannot be done if one is not fit.

And as a fellow curler, until you have swept HARD from hogline to the house on a stone with insufficient weight yourself, you have NO idea how much energy and fitness it takes to sweep those stones into place, not to mention the smarts to know when to stop if necessary. And remember, you can't hit anything else, and you have only one foot that grips the ice. The other is teflon-to-ice. Slippery as heck! You're supposed to sweep hard while keeping your balance with only one foot. Granted, the skips don't do too much sweeping, but they had to in order to become skip. You don't just start as a skip. You start by sweeping and learning the game from skips who know more than you do. But even the skip from Russia lost his footing sweeping a rock in the house and fell and smacked his head right into the ice. No helmets. Trust me...that HURTS like a SOB!

I don't have any problems with these statements. They are skills and ones that I cannot do, but I don't consider them athletic accomplishments.

I'm not saying anybody can do it, I just don't think it's a sport, especially one worthy of the Olympic Games. I've been watching a decent amount of the games this year and it's not even close to the athletecism required from stuff like hockey, skiing (some of these events are nuts), and speed skating. Figure skating is mocked, but those people are better athletes than curlers imo.

And when I think of sports that have been eliminated in recent years, I am even omre annoyed this one remains.

Edited by fanaticV3.0

@SpikeDDS  Just out of total curiosity, are their "elite sweepers" in Curling...people who just sweep better than others?  Also, what would happen if you tripped and or fell and knocked another teams (or your team for that matter) rock, is there a stiff penalty for that?

Absolutely there are elite sweepers. I think it is pretty well acknowledged that Kevin Martin's front end of Marc Kennedy and Ben Hebert may be the best 1-2 front end that ever was. It was the joining of John Morris with that rink as third for the 2010 games that created probably the best first three ever. Their fitness is well-documented. Morris actually has a top-rated book, Fit to Curl. They are recognized as top athletes in their sport.

As far as your second question, it depends. The bigge penalty is if you touch a stone while it is moving. If it's your own, you must remove it immediately, and if it hit anything else, you have to put everything it caused to move back to where it was. You have "burned" that stone.

If you accidentally hit an opponent's stone that is not really involved in the play, you just have to put it back.

I haven't really followed curling but just snuck a glance at the mens' Norway vs. Great Britain and ... what is with the pants that the Norwegian guys are wearing?  :lol:   They look like pajama bottoms or some of the pants that my dad wears when he plays golf!  :lol:

Edited by Chicago Hawkie

I haven't really followed curling but just snuck a glance at the mens' Norway vs. Great Britain and ... what is with the pants that the Norwegian guys are wearing?  :lol:   They look like pajama bottoms or some of the pants that my dad wears when he plays golf!  :lol:

They started doing that in Vancouver 2010, and it has been GREAT for making people aware of curling. One of the 4 Norwegian men got the idea and had some pants made from Plus4. Not all of the team bought into the idea. What finally convinced them was that when they got to Vancouver, they had one of the better hotel suites on their floor, and many of the other athletes, men and women, would come to their suite to watch TV. Well, before their first match, there were a number of ladies in the suite, and the guys decided to ask the gals' opinion on whether they should do it or not, so they donned the pants for a little fashion show in their suite. They LOVED it! That convinced the other guys, and they've been doing it ever since.

Great story, and great for the sport!

Hopefully there is more Curling yet to come?  I believe so.  I recall in Vancouver much was on towards the end.  We have the big skiing events coming soon

The round-robins are close to complete. The US teams are officially out of the playoffs, so I think they each have 1 more match before they are done. There are still the playoffs in both men's and women's curling to come.

I am really surprised at the performance of the Chinese men. They have looked VERY strong so far. It has not been luck, nor has it been mostly mistakes from the opposition that has given them their matches. They have played VERY well, particularly their skip. If they keep playing like they have, I'm not so sure that Jacobs has got the goods to beat them. He has looked shaky. He outplayed Shuster when it counted, and that's why they beat us, but he's not been consistent.

The US continues to look pretty sad, although better lately than earlier in the week. Not saying much there. They looked awful earlier. It's almost a RELIEF that we won't get to watch the US teams any more. :-E

@SpikeDDS  Thanks, learn something new everyday!

FYI: John Morris no longer throws third for Kevin Martin. They parted ways in April. Morris has his own rink now, and actually eliminated Kevin Martin in the Canadian Olympic trials.

Jacobs then beat Morris' boys. Jacobs somehow beat everybody. They were on fire during that tournament. Not so now. They are playing well, but not like they were then.

Kevin Martin is working as a color commentator for NBC's coverage of Olympic curling this year, along with John Benton (was on Vancouver's men's rink) and Pete Fenson in the studio, who was the bronze-medal-winning skip for the US in Torino. Martin is very arguably Canada's best skip ever, acknowledging Glenn Howard as also arguable, although I believe that Martin has more hardware. He's won practically everything that can be won by a Canadian in the sport. Olympic gold was the last remaining conquest, and he did it at home.

For 7 years, Kevin Martin's crew that was in Vancouver pretty much dominated the sport, winning just about anything that could be won, with few exceptions. Vancouver was their exclamation point. For some reason after that, they weren't the same, and their play dropped off. Martin and Morris' relationship became difficult, and Morris "divorced" Martin. It was as amicable as breaking up the best team that may have ever played the game could be. I think Morris really wants to be skip again. He'd done it before he joined Martin. It was probably time.

FYI: John Morris no longer throws third for Kevin Martin. They parted ways in April. Morris has his own rink now, and actually eliminated Kevin Martin in the Canadian Olympic trials.

Jacobs then beat Morris' boys. Jacobs somehow beat everybody. They were on fire during that tournament. Not so now. They are playing well, but not like they were then.

Kevin Martin is working as a color commentator for NBC's coverage of Olympic curling this year, along with John Benton (was on Vancouver's men's rink) and Pete Fenson in the studio, who was the bronze-medal-winning skip for the US in Torino. Martin is very arguably Canada's best skip ever, acknowledging Glenn Howard as also arguable, although I believe that Martin has more hardware. He's won practically everything that can be won by a Canadian in the sport. Olympic gold was the last remaining conquest, and he did it at home.

For 7 years, Kevin Martin's crew that was in Vancouver pretty much dominated the sport, winning just about anything that could be won, with few exceptions. Vancouver was their exclamation point. For some reason after that, they weren't the same, and their play dropped off. Martin and Morris' relationship became difficult, and Morris "divorced" Martin. It was as amicable as breaking up the best team that may have ever played the game could be. I think Morris really wants to be skip again. He'd done it before he joined Martin. It was probably time.

Thanks so much for the history lesson, gave me a nice historical perspective on the top curlers. Another question, is the Briere curlings version of the Stanley Cup, or is it the Scott Tournament of Hearts? I've heard of both of them, but don't know where they fit in the overall scheme of things. Ya know, I don't *really* know what is going on in the curling portion of the Olympics, but I get the sense I'd like it if I knew the rules better. Some of the strategy looks wickedly fun if you ask me.