Quick to start for USA vs. Russia...

B21

Miller clearly bamboozled by the grassy knoll. There an obvious conspiracy by the US Olympic team to LOSE! If only Regier was GM.

This is a conspiracy by Terry Pegula and the Sabres, they dont want Miller getting hurt in Sochi and ruining his trade value. ;)

@Irish- I heard Miller was visiting the poor villages in Russia during his down time and healing the sick and injured :ph34r:

Joke all you want. Miller has done nothing wrong. If Quick gets lit up, he will be pulled fast. I am sure you are aware

You can say that about any starting goalie, at most any level of organized hockey.

Edited by Samifan
  • Like 1

Joke all you want.  Miller has done nothing wrong.  If Quick gets lit up, he will be pulled fast.  I am sure you are aware

You can say that about any starting goalie, at all most any level of organized hockey.

Nothing more needs to be said.

US needs to get its act together if it wants to medal. Russians controlled that game, if Quick doesn't make some key saves, they go home with zero points instead of two. Defense did a good job on Malkin and Ovechkin though. Radulov really hurt his team, too.

US needs to get its act together if it wants to medal. Russians controlled that game, if Quick doesn't make some key saves, they go home with zero points instead of two. Defense did a good job on Malkin and Ovechkin though. Radulov really hurt his team, too.

Wait, what, Quick made some key saves? That's not what another poster in this forum is saying :ph34r:

Joke all you want.  Miller has done nothing wrong.  If Quick gets lit up, he will be pulled fast.  I am sure you are aware

Probably to your dismay, Quick played excellent. He made some key saves to keep Team USA in the game and he made some nice stops on Kovy giving Oshie a chance to win it for Team USA.

US needs to get its act together if it wants to medal. Russians controlled that game, if Quick doesn't make some key saves, they go home with zero points instead of two.

AGREED

Defense did a good job on Malkin and Ovechkin though. Radulov really hurt his team, too.  (Radulov better watch out, or Putin might send him to Siberia to a Russian work camp and never be heard from again!)

see comments in red

I wanted us to win first of all.  Second, Quick was not good in the SO and both Russian goals in regulation could have and should have been stopped.  Miller is better.  I will stand by that

I disagree.  The 1st Russian goal was Datsyuk coming down the middle and blown coverage by the American D-man.  Datsyuk is a world class player and made a nice shot top shelf.  2nd goal Quick was screened.  He tried to look around the Russian player and when he did the puck went by the other side. Cant's top what you can't see. It was a niceshot and would be hard for anybody to stop including Miller.  As far as the SO goes, he made key stops on both Kovy and Datsyuk.  Again these are world class players.  To think for a shutout in SO is plain silly and yet he almost did.  Kovy made some nice shots.  i disagree with your assessment. Me thinks you are upset because Quick was given the starting nod over Miller.

A couple of things to note.  First of all, I think coach Dan better think more about Datzuk's first goal.  This should be a warning, I think that with the extra 13 feet in width to the ice, this is the blueprint for splitting the defense, speed.  Not sure why Carlson went for the far side forward, that left the middle with no help as Orpik was flat footed expecting help.

Second, in regards to that extra ice width, man does it make the game more fun to watch.   I know that the NHL will never go there because 1) the loss of revenue for the seats they'd need to take out  and two, I think it would expose the lesser players with less mobility.  I watched the Slovenia game the other day, and even a player like Chara, since he is so big, just cannot cover that width, and the speedy players just stay out of his reach.

Third, I really thought we'd see an Ovechkin who was extra motivated. We got normal Ovie,  other than setting up for his one timer on the power plays, I don't think he was much of a factor.  He wasn't moving at all, even on the power play, he basically move about 15 foot up and back, depending on where the puck was to get ready for his one timer.   No puck retrieval otherwise.   Datzuk, Semin, Kovalchuk, Malkin were all hustling and backchecking.  I was actually disappointed in Ovie's play.

Bylsma was quick to throw Wheeler in the doghouse. 2 shifts, 38 seconds. I assume the second shift was the time spent getting to the bench after he got out of the box. Carlson had less than 4 minutes. I don't remember him playing after the first Datsyuk goal.

A couple of things to note.  First of all, I think coach Dan better think more about Datzuk's first goal.  This should be a warning, I think that with the extra 13 feet in width to the ice, this is the blueprint for splitting the defense, speed.  Not sure why Carlson went for the far side forward, that left the middle with no help as Orpik was flat footed expecting help.

Second, in regards to that extra ice width, man does it make the game more fun to watch.   I know that the NHL will never go there because 1) the loss of revenue for the seats they'd need to take out  and two, I think it would expose the lesser players with less mobility.  I watched the Slovenia game the other day, and even a player like Chara, since he is so big, just cannot cover that width, and the speedy players just stay out of his reach.

Third, I really thought we'd see an Ovechkin who was extra motivated. We got normal Ovie,  other than setting up for his one timer on the power plays, I don't think he was much of a factor.  He wasn't moving at all, even on the power play, he basically move about 15 foot up and back, depending on where the puck was to get ready for his one timer.   No puck retrieval otherwise.   Datzuk, Semin, Kovalchuk, Malkin were all hustling and backchecking.  I was actually disappointed in Ovie's play.

can't add much more.  The extra 13 ft does REALLY make a difference.  Would love to see at the NHL level, however, with the reasons you mentioned and others, it will probably never happen.  It certainly would give your skilled players much more room for which to operate.

If Putin has it his way, Ovie might be heading to the Siberian winters along with Radulov who IMO was a major contributor to why Team USA won.

Edited by pilldoc