So who is your second favorite team?

yave1964

Obviously everyone in here has a club we root for but beyond them is there a club you really enjoy watching play?

As anyone knows who has ever read a word I have written I live and die with the Wings but two clubs really are always on my radar when the Wings are not on.

The Ottawa Senators and the Columbus Bluejackets are in a neck and neck run for second place.

I like the way the Sens play, a rugged line of Greening, Smith and Neil along with the best offensive d-man in the game in Karlsson and the developing Turris, and now Bobby Ryan make the club a lot of fun.

As far as the Jackets go, I LOVE the way Johansen is developing, a flat out star in the making. Dubinsky is flat out nasty, Atkinson can score and now Horton back in the lineup give them a ton of quality forwards, Bob is the shizz,. The defense is a bit thin at moving the puck but they play sound and nasty in their own end. Everyone hits. Everyone or you don't play. Not a ton of fights but the puck is contested no matter where you have it on the ice.

So who do you root for if your favorite club is not on the tube? (And no fair saying whoever is playing against your arch enemy, lol)

the first NHL game I ever saw was the Flyers and RedWings... during the "dead things " era.  So I've always had a soft spot of your team @yave1964 plus the road white sweater is spectacular looking, I own a Steve Y version of it.

and i do like that hockey is back in Minnesota so i follow the Wild with detached interest.

but my true "other team" is the Hershey Bears of the AHL , they are currently the farm club of the Capitals. I've been to probably 100 bears games in my life, i love the rink , love the chocolate and white color scheme... the new arena is great, the great seats are affordable, plus they are always entertaining, even when they're bad, which is infrequently.

I don't really currently have a 2nd team.

Way backinaday I followed the Bruins a bit.  It was immediately after the Flyers traded both Propp and Poulin in individual trades for toothpaste.  That effect pretty much wore off years ago.

I've always had a fondness for the Wings, actually, but wouldn't necessarily classify them as a "second team."   It was always safe to closet cheer for them when they were in the western conference, but I've lost that luxury.

There are players I like on other teams, but I don't think there's any other teams that really come even as close as the Wings.

the first NHL game I ever saw was the Flyers and RedWings... during the "dead things " era.  So I've always had a soft spot of your team @yave1964 plus the road white sweater is spectacular looking, I own a Steve Y version of it.

and i do like that hockey is back in Minnesota so i follow the Wild with detached interest.

but my true "other team" is the Hershey Bears of the AHL , they are currently the farm club of the Capitals. I've been to probably 100 bears games in my life, i love the rink , love the chocolate and white color scheme... the new arena is great, the great seats are affordable, plus they are always entertaining, even when they're bad, which is infrequently.

You mention the Hershey Bears, I guess if we are going out of the NHL the Griffins in the AHL and the Wisconsin Badgers are way up my list as well.....

Great thread topic!  :)

I grew up in Michigan, so I cheer for Detroit in the Eastern Conference ... because my family is from Michigan, also.  However, all bets (except for the ones I make with family :D ) are off when the Wings meet the Hawks.  I have always liked Edmonton also since reading about the 1980s team.

I spent 20+ years in upstate New York, and adopted the Sabres as my second favorite.  The Sabres actually have a pretty rich history with some old greats like the French Connection line.  Its sad that they've recently fallen on hard times, the fans in the area are as devout as they come.

@B21

LMAO! (I'd keep an eye out for Polaris and Nossagog lurking outside your home with buckets of tar and feathers)

Hey, you guys are always wondering about the intelligence of Pens fans,   well there you have your proof.  Anyway, I think he's using the reverse luber jinxing logic there,  if he roots for the Flyers, they'll lose.

Starting for the US tomorrow

Oshie

Oshie           Oshie

Oshie      Oshie      Oshie

At least that's what head coach T.J. Oshie said after the game after he finished selling popcorn in the stands.

Edited by nossagog

Oshie

Oshie           Oshie

At least that's what head coach T.J. Oshie said after the game after he finished selling popcorn in the stands.

Someone would want you to play Miller over Oshie in net.....

Quick

Oshie           Oshie

Fixed!

Oshie

Oshie           Oshie

Classic!

I think most here by now know my number 2 team are the Minnesota Wild.

Adopted from my born-in-Minneapolis husband, seems I follow the Wild alot closer than he does.

He was a former North Star supporter who had his heart broken when the team left, and the Wild really have not filled that void for him...oh well, MORE hockey team for me!  :P

• Like 1

@TropicalFruitGirl26   Just out of curiosity, is your husband as hockey crazy as you are?  I'm very lucky in that respect, my girlfriend is a hockey fanatic (a Sens fan btw). There are no arguments when it comes to tv watching, hockey first and foremost (unless it's NFL Sunday) and everything else gets DVR'ed for future watching when there is no hockey on.

Second favorite used to be Montreal for a long time, but has been Buffalo since I lived there for a few years.

Great town, great people, great hockey fans.

Deserve better than they've got. And (more and) better representation on here, too.

Mine used to be Buffalo since my first exposure to hockey was up at my grandparents in Niagara Falls. Now I don't really have one. I do have a soft spot in my heart for the Leafs since I'm marrying a Leafs fan. Other than that, it's whoever's playing the Rags or the Pens.

@TropicalFruitGirl26   Just out of curiosity, is your husband as hockey crazy as you are?  I'm very lucky in that respect, my girlfriend is a hockey fanatic (a Sens fan btw). There are no arguments when it comes to tv watching, hockey first and foremost (unless it's NFL Sunday) and everything else gets DVR'ed for future watching when there is no hockey on.

No, he isn't a big a fan of hockey as I am, but he does watch some games with  me.  He is more an NFL, MLB, and NBA fan (don't ask me why....T-Wolves...lol), in that order.

He is quite a bit older than I am, so he remembers stuff from way back before I even started following sports.

We do NFL parties on occasion (well, we did in FL alot because the weather was a lot more accomodating), and that is cool....mostly his rowdy football family and friends....I enjoyed the social aspect of it more than the games. I do follow the NFL a bit, but not nearly close enough to get really in-depth about topics and players there, and I really don't care at all for the NBA.

On big hockey games, he is cool with me putting on whatever I want on TV...even invite some of his more hockey fanatic family members over to hang out.

TV shows? Yep, we enjoy, but due to sports (whether hockey, baseball, etc, AND having two young kids, we tend to also DVR lots of stuff and watch them either on another day or later on that same night.

But yea, overall, the Minnesota Wild have become more my own team than his. Like I said, he followed the North Stars with more interest, and can't stomach cheering for the Stars now, and to date, the Wild really haven't resonated with him...although I am working on that.....probably  make him a bandwagon fan once the Wild become regular contenders...   :D