Olympic Elimination Bracket - Now it gets interesting

pilldoc

Ok folks here is the official bracket:

#1 Sweden vs. the winner of #8 Slovenia / #9 Austria

• Dosen't matter who wins Slovenia or Austria, both will lose to Sweden. I pick Slovenia

#2 USA vs. the winner of #7 Czech Republic / #10 Slovakia

• I pick Czech Republic, again USA can beat both of these team.

Sweden vs USA for the right to play for Gold

#3 Canada vs the winner of #6 Switzerland / # 11 Latvia

• The Swiss have played well and should beat Latvia.  Although Canada will beat the Swiss, expect the Swiss to give Canada a run for their money.

#4 Finland vs. the winner of #5 Russia / #12 Norway

• The way Russia is playing right now, would love to see Norway win, HOWEVER, i do expect the Russkies to get past Norway.  A Finland/Russian match-up intrigues me.  Finland is more than capable of beating Russia.  If that happens no medal at all for the home team.  Putin will be sending everyone to Siberia. Also this means there could be a rematch of Canada/Finland for the right to play for Gold or a Canada/Russia match up.  Which ever match-up occurs, only one of these team will be playing for Gold, one team playing for bronze and one will not medal at all! My pick: I pick Finland over Russia.

Canada vs Finland rematch for the right to play for Gold

Either way...USA will not have to face Canada or Russia again unless it is for Gold.  I believe this is a dream scenario for Team USA.

Team USA could play both Canada or Russia for bronze if they both lose their respective semi-finals.

I'll take:

USA over Sweden

Finland upsets Canada

Gold Medal: USA

Silver Medal: Finland

Bronze: Canada

Russia does not medal and Putin will order the entire team to a Siberian work camp and never to be heard from again! ;)

anyway those are my picks......

thoughts......

PS In case for those who are wondering.   NO! There is no re-seeding after the games.  It is a true bracket.

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

I think the Swiss upsetting Canada is the most likely upset scenario, but is still unlikely. The US already handily beat Slovakia, and the Czechs have not been impressive at all. If Russia beats Finland I wouldn't call it an upset, but between Finland's and Russia's play so far, I think Finland wins. Slovenia could beat Austria which would be fantastic for that team, but won't get by Sweden.

My call:

Gold - Sweden

Silver - Finland

Bronze - Canada

I like your idea's and agree with pretty much all.  I am not sure of the significance of tomorrow's US/Sweden game?  But I like the USA all the way for the Gold.  Agree that the Swiss will be a handful for anyone.  And the Fins could pull an upset and medal.  Pretty much on board but think Russia will play better next time.  I am going US for Gold.  Either Canada or Finland for Silver and maybe, just maybe the /Swiss for bronze

tomorrow's US / Sweden game is the Semi-Final for the Women

http://espn.go.com/olympics/winter/2014/results?date=20140217&sport=29

Hrm. McKenzie saying that the brackets are:

Slovenia                                                                                                                                                     Slovakia

---------- Winner                                                                                                    Winner----------

Austria                              ----------------Winner                                            Winner----------                        Czech

Sweden                               |                 Gold                   |                        US

-------------Winners-------------

Russia                                                             |                 Silver                 |                                              Switzerland

------------Winner                                |                                           |                       Winner----------

Norway                           ------------------Winner                                            Winner----------                        Latvia

|               Bronze                |                       Canada

Finland                                ------------- Losers--------------

Anyone have an official bracket link?

Edited by AJgoal

Agree with Pill Doc Russia should beat Norway and set up an intriguing match with the Fins.  Toss up.  Latvia and the Swiss should be a good hockey game.  Canada beats the winner but the Swiss are tough to score on.  USA and Canada are on a collision course.   Sweden can certainly beat the winner of Russia and Finland but its still a toss up in my book.  I will stick with the USA over Russia in the final

Rick,

I don't get your predictions.  One post you are saying USA all the way for Gold, in this post you have Sweden beating the winner of Russia/Finland.  That cannot happen.  If Russia beats Norway then they play Finland.  The winner of this game plays the winner of Canada/Switzerland/Latvia.  The loser of Russia/Finland is out of medal contention. Period. 

I am saying Sweden could beat the winner of Russia/Finland.  But I am picking the US to beat Canada and the winner from that bracket regardless.  I am picking US to play Russia in the Gold game.  But I said I would not be surprised if Sweden does beat Russia.or Finland.  Has nothing to do with the US winning on the other bracket

Rick,

the USA and Canada WILL NOT/ CAN NOT play each other unless:

1) it is for Gold

2) it is for bronze because they both lost their respective Semi-final games

They are in different brackets!

Finland / Russia / Canada are in the same bracket.  (along with Latvia, Switzerland, Norway) As I stated before:

1) one team will play for Gold

2) one team will play for bronze

3) one team will be eliminated and not medal

I see a Canada vs FInland/Russia semi-final

Sweden / USA are in the other bracket. (along with Czech Republic, Slovenia. Austria, Slovakia)

I see a Sweden / USA semi-final.

Therefore your statement about the US beating Canada in that bracket is incorrect.  The only way USA beats Canada is for Gold (which I hope) or for Bronze (not ideal, but i can live with it)

If you have USA vs Russia for Gold then that means it might be Sweden vs Canada or Finland for Bronze.

Rick,

the USA and Canada WILL NOT/ CAN NOT play each other unless:

1) it is for Gold

2) it is for bronze because they both lost their respective Semi-final games

They are in different brackets!

Finland / Russia / Canada are in the same bracket.  (along with Latvia, Switzerland, Norway) As I stated before:

1) one team will play for Gold

2) one team will play for bronze

3) one team will be eliminated and not medal

I see a Canada vs FInland/Russia semi-final

Sweden / USA are in the other bracket. (along with Czech Republic, Slovenia. Austria, Slovakia)

I see a Sweden / USA semi-final.

Therefore your statement about the US beating Canada in that bracket is incorrect.  The only way USA beats Canada is for Gold (which I hope) or for Bronze (not ideal, but i can live with it)

If you have USA vs Russia for Gold then that means it might be Sweden vs Canada or Finland for Bronze.

That isn't correct 

#1 Sweden bracket plays in one semi final vs the #4 Bracket of Finland.  The #2 Bracket USA  plays the #3 Bracket Canada.  Which is also the diagram I posted above.  Puck Daddy also as it like this.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/

be193bc0-9741-11e3-b22c-f79caa626d1b_BRA

@Hockey Junkie

Please accept my apologies for confusing you.  I am the one who got it wrong. Sorry. :(  I was basing my info/post based off of what was said on TV.  With the bracket that @hf101 posted, it is the clearest one yet.

My new prediction:

Sweden beats either Slovenia or Austria

Russia beats Norway.  That sets up Russia to play Finland with the winner playing Sweden.

I say Finland beats Russia

Semi-Final #1 : Sweden vs Finland

Switzerland beats Latvia.

Canada barely squeals by Switzerland

Czech Republic beats Slovakia

USA beats Czech

Semi-Final #2: Canada vs USA

Hmmmmm I'm gonna go:

Sweden vs USA for Gold

Canada vs Finland for Bronze

Gold: USA

Silver: Sweden

Bronz: Canada

Russia still does not medal! :)

Edited by pilldoc

oops then I stand correct, I was basing this info on what was said on the national broadcast.

no worries.

It isn't the first mistake I've seen made by the broadcasters in the last few days.  For example, the one this morning talking about Quick not playing today while showing a visual of Howard. 

All I have to say is woulda, coulda, shoulda!!!   We beat the Fins in regulation and we play the Zetterberg less Swedes for the right to go to the Gold medal game!!  Sweden is no push over, and they still have Lundy....BUT WOW...I would LOVE to play Sweden instead of the USA for the right to play for Gold!!!  Sweden is a *much* easier match up than USA at this point. BIG TIME missed opportunity, but we have nobody to blame but ourselves!!! We *had* to win that Finland game in regulation. DAMMIT!!!  Not scared of the USA, but would much prefer Sweden!!

I dunno.

I think the Russians will get by Finland (and Norway).  Then, I like their chances against Sweden.   Not too far fetched to see them playing for the gold. 

Edited by blocker

Game times for tomorrow are set. Austria-Slovenia at 3am. Norway-Russia at 7:30am. Slovakia-Czech and Latvia-Switzerland are both at noon. I'll have to set the DVR. Does anyone know Kopitar's status?

And let's not get ahead of ourselves. Upsets still happen in Olympic hockey, even with teams full of NHLers. See 2002, Belarus-Sweden. Or 2014, Slovenia-Slovakia. Heck, Switzerland took Canada to a shoot out in Vancouver. Nothing's a given for either the US or Canada (Go Latvia!).

All I have to say is woulda, coulda, shoulda!!!   We beat the Fins in regulation and we play the Zetterberg less Swedes for the right to go to the Gold medal game!!  Sweden is no push over, and they still have Lundy....BUT WOW...I would LOVE to play Sweden instead of the USA for the right to play for Gold!!!  Sweden is a *much* easier match up than USA at this point. BIG TIME missed opportunity, but we have nobody to blame but ourselves!!! We *had* to win that Finland game in regulation. DAMMIT!!!  Not scared of the USA, but would much prefer Sweden!!

If you're lamenting not having Sweden as your apparent semi-final opponent, you wanted Canada to LOSE that last round-robin game. If you had beaten the Finns in regulation you would have been set to face them again, Russia, or Norway in the semis, since Canada would have had the 1st seed (Unless a blowout pushed the Finns down to 5th seed, but Canada would have needed to win by 5, I think). US-Sweden would've been the other bracket matchup. Hypothetical, assuming 2-1 in regulation, not OT:

1. Canada (9 points, +10 goal differential)

2. Sweden (9 points, +5 goal differential)

3. US (8 points)

4. Finland (6 points, +8 goal differential)

1 plays 4, 2 plays 3. The trailing brackets would have played out the same.

@AJgoal

Speaking of recent Olympic upsets, in 2010 the Slovaks beat Russia and Sweden, and nearly beat Canada (Canada won 3-2) before losing the Finland in the bronze medal game.

If I had to pick two teams capable on an upset, it would be Slovenia and Latvia (I am not conmsidering Russia or the Czechs beating their opponents as a major upset, and Czechs vs. Slovaks is an interesting matchup).  I think Slovenia can beat Austria and advance, but Latvia-Swiss could be a toss-up.

If you're lamenting not having Sweden as your apparent semi-final opponent, you wanted Canada to LOSE that last round-robin game. If you had beaten the Finns in regulation you would have been set to face them again, Russia, or Norway in the semis, since Canada would have had the 1st seed (Unless a blowout pushed the Finns down to 5th seed, but Canada would have needed to win by 5, I think). US-Sweden would've been the other bracket matchup. Hypothetical, assuming 2-1 in regulation, not OT:

1. Canada (9 points, +10 goal differential)

2. Sweden (9 points, +5 goal differential)

3. US (8 points)

4. Finland (6 points, +8 goal differential)

1 plays 4, 2 plays 3. The trailing brackets would have played out the same.

Well, that's not the way the guys at work explained it....lol. Consider me confused. Still woulda rather drawn Sweden.

Yep, Latvia only lost 1-0 to Switzerland in the round robin, and Switzerland scored with 7 seconds remaining in regulation. Them beating the Swiss is not out of the realm of possibility. I would love to see Slovenia make a little more noise. Apparently, there are only 7 sheets of ice in the whole country, so for them to make the QF round would be huge for the sport. Sweden would be a tough draw for them after that, but they play the games for a reason.

Well, that's not the way the guys at work explained it....lol. Consider me confused. Still woulda rather drawn Sweden.

Well, it's possible I'm wrong, but it seems to be the way things matched up (US and Canada tied for points, US had a better goal differential, so got the 2 seed). The big thing about not losing that game was avoiding the possibility of playing Russia in the quarterfinals.