Phantoms Brawl

Jam1986

Wow down 2-0 then a line brawl started for seemly no reason. McGinn  is in big trouble hammering a non fighter! Check it out on you tube.

@Jam1986

worse will be heeter for coming off the bench.  twice.

I don't see a problem with what McGinn did. Both players dropped the gloves and were squared off. Murphy should have protected himself and maybe thrown a punch or two.

Heeter will get a 10 game suspension.

Wow, who is the hextall on the bench for portland ?

McGinn worked Murphy pretty well, Murphy could have taken a couple and turtled but seemed to be fighting back so i don't know if i see the big deal w/ McGinn , and props for Murphy for not backing down.  

I wonder what was said or what happened to cause such a ruckus, that had the earmark of people being frustrated and fed-up...

I wonder what was said or what happened to cause such a ruckus, that had the earmark of people being frustrated and fed-up...

I think it was something that Connor Murphy did. At the very beginning of the video clip, the phantoms players turned and three of them went to Murphy. That doesn't happen unless you spear player, slash someone, or something along those lines. Too bad the camera missed it.

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan

I think it was something that Connor Murphy did. At the very beginning of the video clip, the phantoms players turned and three of them went to Murphy. That doesn't happen unless you spear player, slash someone, or something along those lines. Too bad the camera missed it.

I was thinking along the same lines, guess we will never know unless we see some follow up interviews.

Ha ha....Heeter almost went all Emery on the Pirates goalie, but eventually he was a willing combatant. Actually, the Pirates goalie was close to being 3rd man in there. He's sticking up for Murphy, but he *obviously* did something pretty dirty to draw all that attention! 

@AlaskaFlyerFan   Ahhhhh, this sheds some light on things. OR just posted this link/pic in the shoutbox. The hit on Akeson that started the brawl....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bgo1d4cCcAEV8S_.jpg

Man Chris Newbury tore someone's head up, i couldn't see his number but he caught many uppercuts...he is gonna have a head ache today!!!!

@AlaskaFlyerFan   Ahhhhh, this sheds some light on things. OR just posted this link/pic in the shoutbox. The hit on Akeson that started the brawl....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bgo1d4cCcAEV8S_.jpg

Akeson wasn't on the ice neither was the hitter in that picture, Chris Summers.  That picture was from the other side or other end of the ice (no Portland bench in the background). 16 McGinn, 23 Holmstrom, 35 Heeter, 11 Newbury, 28 Manning, 37 Gervais were all on the ice during the brawl (bold guys got penalties).  There was one other guy who (I think) left the ice when Heeter jumped back on.  I think that was 13 Fitzgerald.

McGinn took a run at Shinnimin on the side boards and missed.  Conner Murphy came over and did something to McGinn to attract 2 other Phantoms players to turn around and gang up on Murphy.

When play resumed, Fitzgerald was on the ice and started another fight 12 seconds later.

http://theahl.com/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1011857

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan

Hextall's son plays for Portland and was involved. I looked at the AHL box score and he got a penalty for abusive of an official during the 3rd period rumble.

Yeah that is old Hexy's boy didn't even see that when i looked at the box score this morning.

Explains something he is trying to get noticed and signed by Homer he heard he was collecting goons!!!!

Here is another view from a different angle...

@OccamsRazor  I loved the audio from that clip, from the young kid joyously ringing out "GOALIE FIGHT" to the older guy saying "YARD SALE, sticks, gloves and helmets.....ha ha...they were having a great time!  It's always fun when a line brawl breaks out, some of the stuff tossed about by the patrons are classic. Where was that game held, geez....that arena was more than half empty!

I loved the audio from that clip, from the young kid joyously ringing out "GOALIE FIGHT" to the older guy saying "YARD SALE, sticks, gloves and helmets

Yeah i like where he told him to take off the mask, must be the guy holding the phone.

I was trying to see if i could tell if Hexy's son was in it.

He wears #24 i think. I didn't see him.

I'll check the penalty minutes.

Edit: Yeah like Sami said just abuse of the official. S o he was just yapping he didn't get his daddy's size he is only 5" 10" 170.

But it seems like right after they straightened all that out and started playing for 3 minutes later Fitzgerald and Mathers pounded some guys.

Fight filled night. Lost 2-0. Both scored on the PP. Their PK has sucked all season. And are still the lowest scoring club. 

Would love for Homer to injected the 2012 draft class into them and see if they have anything worth keeping.

Edited by OccamsRazor

Stolarzs, Laughton, Leier and maybe Gots-to-be-here would be a nice infusion of talent.

Maybe even Larsson is ready for some Phantom time.

Vasiliev if he can talk coming over and starting in the A from the KHL would be icing on the cake.

pffftttt.

That sounds like Nick Cousins so far i got to say i was expecting to hear his name more often. I wasn't expecting him to come here and light it up or anything but het be mentioned every now and again would be nice i never see his name. I got to say i'm disappointed in that so far.

I know he is a get under your skin type but 4 goals 9 assists for a measly 13 and a -7 to boot.

Yes i'll say i was expecting more.

But i will say i didn't expect to see Brandon Manning leading the team with SOG with 148 Akeson 141. 

I was expecting at least 30-35 pts from Cousins in his first year as a pro....does not look like he will come close. Colour me disappointed also.

Good same here that seemed reasonable to me i know some of you guys around here follow juniors more/better than i have the ability but i read a lot about him and it was reasonable expectations. But however this club is meeger when it comes to skill and talent....several guys under performed in my estimation.

Akeson and Staka are the only ones i could see maybe getting a shot later down the road at forward.

But it's a learning process but it's slowly heading in the right direction.

Stolarz i bet will help he and Heeter will make a good tandem.