Why is so hard to play with Crosby....

jammer2

.I think Babcock needed to be more patient there even in a short tournament.

You know, just to spring board off of this a little bit.  What harm would that have done?  Canada proved it could skate somewhat easily through the preliminary round withOUT Crosby's line doing much of anything.  So why not give him and his wingers time to create some chemistry and some familiarity?  Instead, he's squandered this time and goes into the medal round with no more answers than he started.   Babcock is a good coach, I guess, but I actually think he blew this one.

I have to laugh at all the hype around Crosby.  I swear this is just a Canadian media hype to piss Crosby off and wake him up.  Let the sleeping giant sleep.   ;)

Not to draw this topic off topic, but Parise hasn't scored either and no one has been commenting as to why he isn't clicking with his linemates?

I think both Crosby and Parise are focusing more on their defensive play rather than offensive to be honest.  Put the game on the line and we will see the best of both of these players.

now shhhhhh all.....  Crosby is playing great!  :ph34r:

I have to laugh at all the hype around Crosby.  I swear this is just a Canadian media hype to piss Crosby off and wake him up.  Let the sleeping giant sleep.   ;)

Not to draw this topic off topic, but Parise hasn't scored either and no one has been commenting as to why he isn't clicking with his linemates?

I think both Crosby and Parise are focusing more on their defensive play rather than offensive to be honest.  Put the game on the line and we will see the best of both of these players.

now shhhhhh all.....  Crosby is playing great!  :ph34r:

Exactly my point. If Parise is off, who cares? No pressure. If Crosby is off and Team Canada is underperforming....

You know, just to spring board off of this a little bit. What harm would that have done? Canada proved it could skate somewhat easily through the preliminary round withOUT Crosby's line doing much of anything. So why not give him and his wingers time to create some chemistry and some familiarity? Instead, he's squandered this time and goes into the medal round with no more answers than he started. Babcock is a good coach, I guess, but I actually think he blew this one.

Bingo. Kunitz is on the team for one reason and you break up the combo already?

Edited by B21

Been out in the snow, just got home.  Great topic.

A couple of observations.

First of, watching the games that Canada has played, opposing teams are trying to be VERY physical with all of the Canadians centers.  Crosby has 2 assists, Getzlaf has 1 goal and 2 assists, Teows has 2 assists and Tavares has a goose egg so far.  I think that the strategy has been to play the centers hard and take them out of the picture, and it seems to be working.   I think this will get even tougher during the metal rounds.

Second, I think that there is something to say about him not normally playing with great players.  I don't think he's used to it.   Take away power play time, and for the most part while he has been in the 'burgh, he's played with grinding plugs.  He's made goal scorers out Kunitz and Dupuis basically because they are willing to go to the net and he knows where they will be. I don't think he understands how to play with talent.

Third, Crosby is NOT a goal scorer, he's a set up guy. So he's never going to be on the top of the goal scorer. Many Pens fans wish he would shoot more, he had several chances in Saturdays game to shoot, but he passed instead. The key to look at is whether he is creating chances, and I think that he is.  As someone else mentioned, he's also making to many area passes to where he thinks players will be, but the competition is too good at this level for those to work.

@nossagog  Also, if he is passing up shots to set up teammates, an obvious counter is to cut off the passing lanes. Even the slugs on Austria and Norway know this basic fundamental skill. Betcha if he faked a pass and fired a rocket on net the goalie would not even move!

Exactly my point. If Parise is off, who cares? No pressure. If Crosby is off and Team Canada is underperforming....

Hockey is a slightly bigger deal in Canada ;)

You know who would look great on Crosby's wing instead of Bergeron?

Claude Giroux. Honestly. I think they would have great chemistry despite the hatefest they apparently have for each other.

Hockey is a slightly bigger deal in Canada ;)

Claude Giroux. Honestly. I think they would have great chemistry despite the hatefest they apparently have for each other.

B-b-b-b-b-but Giroux is a "natural center"!  :ph34r:

Why they have Bergeron on his wing I have no idea. Have they ever seen Bergeron play? Guy is a "natural center."

Been out in the snow, just got home.  Great topic.

A couple of observations.

First of, watching the games that Canada has played, opposing teams are trying to be VERY physical with all of the Canadians centers.  Crosby has 2 assists, Getzlaf has 1 goal and 2 assists, Teows has 2 assists and Tavares has a goose egg so far.  I think that the strategy has been to play the centers hard and take them out of the picture, and it seems to be working.   I think this will get even tougher during the metal rounds.

Second, I think that there is something to say about him not normally playing with great players.  I don't think he's used to it.   Take away power play time, and for the most part while he has been in the 'burgh, he's played with grinding plugs.  He's made goal scorers out Kunitz and Dupuis basically because they are willing to go to the net and he knows where they will be. I don't think he understands how to play with talent.

Third, Crosby is NOT a goal scorer, he's a set up guy. So he's never going to be on the top of the goal scorer. Many Pens fans wish he would shoot more, he had several chances in Saturdays game to shoot, but he passed instead. The key to look at is whether he is creating chances, and I think that he is.  As someone else mentioned, he's also making to many area passes to where he thinks players will be, but the competition is too good at this level for those to work.

Offensively, Getzlaf and Tavares (despite his 0 points) have been Canadas best centers....they've been making things happen.

NHL teams don't go hard against centers in playoffs?

He seems to play just fine with Malkin and Letang when the opportunity arises.. Come on, the "best player in the world" doesn't know how to play with talent?

And Crosby may be a setup guy, but he's also 2 goals behind Canadas top goal scorer in the NHL, so ya, he's a goal scorer.

B-b-b-b-b-but Giroux is a "natural center"!  :ph34r:

Why they have Bergeron on his wing I have no idea. Have they ever seen Bergeron play? Guy is a "natural center."

Three games in, it's time to just play Crosby with whoever and stick with it. Give him Kunitz, Crosby is the only reason he's there.

• Like 1

Three games in, it's time to just play Crosby with whoever and stick with it. Give him Kunitz, Crosby is the only reason he's there.

One issue that arises with giving Crosby more ice time is that it will create more instability with linemates. There's no way Kunitz should play 20+ mins to follow Crosby. In fact, Kunitz should be the one sitting out, and St. Louis should be with Crosby.

In the end, it's all a little silly. Canada's defensive game in incredible. It remains to be seen what it's like against tougher opposition, but they completely choked off Finland. So, if all they need is a goal or two, does it matter if Crosby puts up a goose egg? On an individual level, I don't care how they do because there are no Flyers involved. If they win, that's good enough for me ;)

I have thought the same thing

i was thinking that MSL would work there too...but he hasn't and that is puzzling.

Really though, Crosby centering Giroux and pick any other NHL player has the potential to be devastating.  I think they would make a tournament MVP of anyone on the left wing.  "go there and put your stick down we'll do the rest" .   

I also get the double standard Crosby is held to as well.  Parise and his line have been forechecking extremely well though and while they're not scoring , now., they are softening up defenses for Phil Kessel... I mean come on , he's charmin soft and looks all world, that's because Backes , Parise and Kessler are ******* bitches up on the prior shifts .  

So far i like the backhand idea, I like my and @nossagog 's idea that he plays with plumbers so much in the NHL that when he plays with guys of similar ability to his he needs some extra time to adjust , and his mentality for initiating contact and playing fast in tight areas doesn't translate to the larger ice surface.

One issue that arises with giving Crosby more ice time is that it will create more instability with linemates. There's no way Kunitz should play 20+ mins to follow Crosby. In fact, Kunitz should be the one sitting out, and St. Louis should be with Crosby.

In the end, it's all a little silly. Canada's defensive game in incredible. It remains to be seen what it's like against tougher opposition, but they completely choked off Finland. So, if all they need is a goal or two, does it matter if Crosby puts up a goose egg? On an individual level, I don't care how they do because there are no Flyers involved. If they win, that's good enough for me ;)

Give him more icetime? He hasn't been Canadas best center. He hasn't been our 2nd best center. Right now I'm giving Getzlaf and Tavares more icetime. Those are the guys making things happen out there.

But I agree...if Canada wins, I don't care who gets points. I just figure if the competition is going to get stronger, he's got to get going.

Give him more icetime? He hasn't been Canadas best center. He hasn't been our 2nd best center. Right now I'm giving Getzlaf and Tavares more icetime. Those are the guys making things happen out there.

But I agree...if Canada wins, I don't care who gets points. I just figure if the competition is going to get stronger, he's got to get going.

Sure, I can understand your logic. But Crosby is better than anyone else on that team. Period. Tavares has impressed me, Getzlaf not so much. But at the end of the day, when we're playing for keepsies, I put my trust in Crosby over any of those guys.

It's not his fault the best player in the world was left off the roster.  :ph34r:

Giroux would add a heck of a lot more to that roster than watching Kunitz flub passes, fan on shots and generally look lost out there. Or even put MSL on that line.

Giroux would add a heck of a lot more to that roster than watching Kunitz flub passes, fan on shots and generally look lost out there. Or even put MSL on that line.

It's not like MSL won the Art Ross last season for scoring or anything... Why would he be able to get Crosby going?

N-C-A-A! N-C-A-A! :D

Hindsight is 20/20.  No one had an issue with Kunitz being on the team because there was a chance he and Crosby would not put up numbers like they have this (NHL) season.  The issue was that there were more "deserving" players.

Crosby really didn't click with his linemates in Vancouver either but no one was saying that Iginla should not have made the team.  In other words, just as much of a chance Crosby and Giroux don't click either.

Making the same argument now...just for a different reason.

And...Babcock was stupid to separate them after one game.  Canada has more than enough firepower at forward to at least let them play together through the round robin.  If still not playing well, make the change.