Penguins Fans Named Best in the NHL

hf101

@B21

anecdotal evidence from my memory of those years,( a little hazy,for sure) has me thinking along the lines of 25 to 30k for the average weeknight ballgame. It was a big place but it always looked over half emtpy to me,  25 to 30k wasn't hideous, but those teams were so good, people really missed out.... and as good as the PIrates have been over the years, a pretty decent history Mazoroski ,Clemente, Parker , Stargell... .  the city never seemed to be a baseball town. 

the population seems more drawn to the contact sports like football and hockey. 

not really trying to run Pgh down  at all, just pointing out there seems to be a greater affinity for the Pens than the Bucos, no matter the success level.

I'm actually impressed by the Buffalo number, imagine if that mess was your team , and you were watching that train wreck in person a couple of times a week or choosing between them on MSG2 and Duck Dynasty.

That is a fan base.

Buffalo is a fandamntastic hockey town. They love their team regardless.

Other fan bases could take serious lessons.

Great place to see a game.

I'm actually impressed by the Buffalo number, imagine if that mess was your team , and you were watching that train wreck in person a couple of times a week or choosing between them on MSG2 and Duck Dynasty.

That is a fan base.

Buffalo is a fandamntastic hockey town. They love their team regardless.

Other fan bases could take serious lessons.

Great place to see a game.

Philly fans could never survive the harsh seasons we endured here... The lot of them would turn into a gaggle of whiners about officiating, the NHL favoring their rivals, rigged drafts.... Oh wait...

I meant ... If the Flyers got as bad as we once were, the arena would be pillaged and burned to the ground. The Snider family beheaded and strung up in town square by their toes... And then they'd blame it all on Leon Stickle. ;)

HE WAS OFFSIDES BY 5 FEET (since 1980) ! LOL. :D

@B21

anecdotal evidence from my memory of those years,( a little hazy,for sure) has me thinking along the lines of 25 to 30k for the average weeknight ballgame. It was a big place but it always looked over half emtpy to me,  25 to 30k wasn't hideous, but those teams were so good, people really missed out.... and as good as the PIrates have been over the years, a pretty decent history Mazoroski ,Clemente, Parker , Stargell... .  the city never seemed to be a baseball town. 

the population seems more drawn to the contact sports like football and hockey. 

not really trying to run Pgh down  at all, just pointing out there seems to be a greater affinity for the Pens than the Bucos, no matter the success level.

Didn't take you post as negative...and 25-30K for weeknight games at Three Rivers is way too generous - even in those three seasons.

This.  It hasn't happened...yet.  Maybe they would. Maybe not.  

The ironic part of all this is that it's not outlandish to say that moves made by Holmgren (and clearly influenced by Ed Snider) are at least "somewhat" driven by a fear of what will happen if the Flyers reach the same suckage levels that the Pens did in the early part of the 2000's. 

Let's face it, it's been very easy to be a Flyers fan.  With one exception (06-07) they've been in contention for at least a playoff spot (and usually more) for 40 years.  That's to their credit....but it's a fan base that hasn't been tested.

When the Pens are good, they sell out. People watch.  Highest local ratings for several years now. Sure that's easy.  But there are a lot of teams that cannot even say that.

Same reply to you, since it fits.... :P

They were...1989-94....with no threat of relocating the franchise either.    ;)

I've spent some winter time in Rochester NY so "i get it" when it comes to small northeast city supporting their team. The American's Buffalo's farm team has a pretty nice fanbase too. the weather sucks the rink is new and downtown, it get it.

I still marvel at the loyalty because the last 5-8 years of the Darcy Reiger era have been pretty tough.

I am an Orioles fan (in case you're not real observant) have been for 30+ years... That team was terrible for 15 years, after year 8 or so i quit showing up at the stadium, and I love that team, but I couldn't take watching double A players and 3 washed up guys making 10 million a year anymore.. So i tip my cap to the fans of the Sabres.

Exactly! I quit going to Pirates games despite getting free tickets for awhile, because I felt I was supporting the owner and GM's apparently choosing to suck to make money. I'm so relieved they had a good season after twenty years!

They were...1989-94....with no threat of relocating the franchise either. ;)

And adding @B21 since you replied that way to him...

Actually during those seasons you were always in the playoff race down to the wire except for '91-'92 when you were 12 points out. You've never been sunk to the lows we were thanks to such horrible mismanagement. The team's problems were never fan support, just poor management.

I think you guys might survive that though, with such a larger population to draw from. Yet... Pittsburgh has 314 consecutive sellouts... The Flyers, with roughly 5 times the fan base, have...??

I've spent some winter time in Rochester NY so "i get it" when it comes to small northeast city supporting their team.  The American's Buffalo's farm team has a pretty nice fanbase too. the weather sucks the rink is new and downtown,  it get it.

I still marvel at the loyalty because the last 5-8 years of the Darcy Reiger era have been pretty tough.

I am an Orioles fan (in case you're not real observant) have been for 30+ years... That team was terrible for 15 years, after year 8 or so i quit showing up at the stadium, and I love that team, but I couldn't take watching double A players and 3 washed up guys making 10 million a year anymore.. So i tip my cap to the fans of the Sabres.

Its the old small world syndrome,  I lived in Rochester for about 25 years.  At one point they had a great setup with Buffalo owning the Rochester AHL team also.  They cross promoted and made it a regional thing.  They went away from that for a while, and it cost them.  The whole Reiger tenure has been a debacle.  They used to be "The hardest working team in hockey", now it seems like even the players don't care.  sad . . .

@B21  Yes, the deferred money is now ringing a bell. I seem to remember Mario basically had no choice because he might not have got his money back if he didn't step in.

As far as the list goes, based on population watching games, I'm "VERY" skeptical the Leafs are not in there. It's basically sacrilege to not watch Leafs games in TO. 

Same reply to you, since it fits.... :P

They were...1989-94....with no threat of relocating the franchise either.    ;)

Yep, mentioned that at the start of the thread, what was it, missed the playoffs 4-5 years or 5-6 before Lindros got here, rough times I tell ya.

@B21  Yes, the deferred money is now ringing a bell. I seem to remember Mario basically had no choice because he might not have got his money back if he didn't step in.

As far as the list goes, based on population watching games, I'm "VERY" skeptical the Leafs are not in there. It's basically sacrilege to not watch Leafs games in TO. 

I was surprised, too - but it's Nielsen.  Not some dope on Bleacher Report.  Maybe it's the same Tronno-ites watching/going over and over and over? ;)