Finland defeats Russia, 3-1

brelic

Thanks.  I like Sweden if that occurs but Russia is playing well enough to rally if they can catch a break and beat Rask.  I am surprised they went with Bobrovsky.  WTF?  I thought Verlamov was their guy and he deserved to play.  Paying the price now for a bad choice.

If you actually read my first post, you'd see that Varlamov started, let in 3 goals, and was pulled for Bobrovsky.

Russia is out. I did not see this coming before the Olympics started.

If you actually read my first post, you'd see that Varlamov started, let in 3 goals, and was pulled for Bobrovsky.

Russia is out. I did not see this coming before the Olympics started.

Agreed. I saw it coming during the Olympics though. Datsyuk, Malkin, and (stupid penalties vs. US aside) Radulov were the only ones who seemed like they cared in every game.

The better team beats a collection of individuals.

The Russians have always been a collection of individual talents - not a complete unit.

The Finns are a complete unit. I would be very scared if I was Sweden.

SUOMI!

AGREED!

Then you better bet on the Czechs and Canucks too because I am taking the good ole USA in both games dude.  And I am taking Latvia with the 4 1/2 goals.  The line has since dropped to 4.  If not for that goalie it would likely be 6

You know what they say about blind squirrels...

:ph34r:

That said, what does Czech or Canada or Latvia have to do with the Finland/Sweden game?

You know what they say about blind squirrels...

:ph34r:

That said, what does Czech or Canada or Latvia have to do with the Finland/Sweden game?

Anything can happen in a one-game elimination. Even the hapless Sabres can beat the Hawks on a cold February night.

And I think that's why Olympic hockey is not satisfying to me.

Finland is not without their big name players.  Salanne and Stamkos amoung them but the Russians have more talent and this is surprising to see them going home.  Unless a miracle occurs in the last 3 minutes.  There goes my Gold medal game.  

Stamkos is Finnish?

• Like 1

Since 1992 when the Unified Team won gold Russia has only one bronze and one silver in the Olympics. Given the amount of world class talent they produce that should be unacceptable. They need a top to bottom re-evaluation of their hockey program. They might start by studying what Finland is doing.

Finland is not without their big name players.  Salanne and Stamkos amoung them but the Russians have more talent and this is surprising to see them going home.  Unless a miracle occurs in the last 3 minutes.  There goes my Gold medal game.  

The Finns do have Selanne, and Rask is as good a goalie as any in the tourney, but they are missing Koivu and Barkov. However, the Swedes are hurting too, with Zetterberg going home and Sedin not even making the trip. Skillwise, the Swedes still have an edge, but Finland's played one of the best team games of the Olympics so far.

Since 1992 when the Unified Team won gold Russia has only one bronze and one silver in the Olympics. Given the amount of world class talent they produce that should be unacceptable. They need a top to bottom re-evaluation of their hockey program. They might start by studying what Finland is doing.

From what I understand, Finland plays basically the same style and same approach from youth levels on up to the top - players know what their responsibilities are and what to expect from their teammates.

They also play to their strengths - team-oriented defense and a team-oriented offensive game.

Selanne is a great player, but he's not a "me first" type of player. His teammates are happy to feed him the puck and he's willing to give it up.

The Finns are also "in it to win it".

From what I understand, Finland plays basically the same style and same approach from youth levels on up to the top - players know what their responsibilities are and what to expect from their teammates.

They also play to their strengths - team-oriented defense and a team-oriented offensive game.

Selanne is a great player, but he's not a "me first" type of player. His teammates are happy to feed him the puck and he's willing to give it up.

The Finns are also "in it to win it".

That's it exactly. I think you could say the same about Sweden. Pretty much any time you watch one of their national teams, be it juniors or seniors, they look like they all play the same system. When you watch Russia it looks more like they just threw together a bunch of star players. You're just not going to win at this level like that. And the irony is, back in the '70s the problem with Soviet hockey (at least compared to Canada) was that they were too locked into a system. No room for individual effort or creativity. Now it's the complete opposite.

@JackStraw  Sweden plays those awesome five man units where they are all working as one on the ice, they have been doing it for decades. It's a great strategy.

You see a lot of Europeans who are wearing their "international" numbers (from the days where they were essentially 1-20) even in the NHL.

Selanne - 8

S Koivu - 11* (not in the Olympics this season)

M Koivu -9* (not in due to injury)

O Jokinen - 12 (wore 21 when not available)

Salo - 6

T Ruutu - 15

These guys have been playing together for years before they even get to the professional level. Much different situation than an "All-Star Team" thrown together at the last moment.

Doesn't always mean they will win, obviously, but it does mean they don't need to "get to know each other" in a week.