Tavares to miss the rest of the season

brelic

Note to Yahoo......Tavares is "day to day"  Seriously?  It's bad enough my ppg player is gone, at least give me the chance to have my pick of the FA wire to replace him!!

I don't think he can be put "on IR" until the first game back (due to the roster freeze).

Snow is furious!

#Isles GM Garth Snow spitting mad over Tavares' Olympic injury: "Are the IIHF or IOC going to reimburse our season ticket holders now?"

4:45 PM - 20 Feb 2014

More Snow: "It's a joke. They want all the benefits from NHL players in Olympics and don't want to pay when our best player gets hurt."

Snow: "It wouldn't matter if we were 10 points up on a playoff spot or 10 points out. We lost our best player and he wasn't playing for us."

Snow should talk to the NHL and the NHLPA - it's not the IIOC forcing them to send players to the Olympics. The NHL/NHLPA made that decision.

Snow should talk to the NHL and the NHLPA - it's not the IIOC forcing them to send players to the Olympics. The NHL/NHLPA made that decision.

Exactly, talk about misplaced anger, this guy is the poster child. Snow should be head hunting in his own backyard. I'm sure the IOC was diligent in their quest to attain NHL participation, it's the league and the union that really sent them over.

I'm thinking the whole thing is covered by insurance (the price of which was a rather large bone for contention) but I could see a large spike in the rates, which are probably sky high to begin with.

Exactly, talk about misplaced anger, this guy is the poster child. Snow should be head hunting in his own backyard. I'm sure the IOC was diligent in their quest to attain NHL participation, it's the league and the union that really sent them over.

I'm thinking the whole thing is covered by insurance (the price of which was a rather large bone for contention) but I could see a large spike in the rates, which are probably sky high to begin with.

Insurance could certainly be something that keeps the NHL out of the Olympics. Not sure the KHL will have the same reservations.

The NHL is the international brand at the moment, but the KHL is making noises about being real competition. They have a ways to go, but they're not as far behind as they were even four years ago.

The gap is closing. The NHL better recognize that.

Agreed on the first paragraph. I'm sure insurance does cover the injury as far as salary and medical. It won't cover the loss in ticket sales nor whatever gate they could have gotten if we feign delusion and pretend they could have made the playoffs

@jammer2  If it helps you out any, I can trade you Datsyuk for Tavares (after our week is over, of course)

If you don't factor in the substantial age difference, Datsuyk is better in real life, but in fantasy Tavares has Datsuyk beat by a decent margin. I plan on replacing Tavares's offense with Gaborik who I currently stashed away on IR. With any luck, Gaborik gets dealt at the deadline and gets to play with much better top pp unit than Columbus has. My other IR stash is Beau Bennett, who might just draw the gig on the top line with Sid and Kunitz, replacing Dupuis, rumor has it he might just get that gig, which would mean a nice winfall of pts. 

Thanks for the offer though.

Since Tavares is done for the year, will Garth Snow make a trade for a goalie ?

discuss...

Considering Nabokov is about on his last legs if they can acquire a Ben Bishop type, a young netminder trappped in a system it would be a good move.

That said, Snow is on the hottest of hot seats, thinking of next year or even the year after is probably something he isnt too concerned with. If i were him, i would not be buying any green bananas. he might be canned before they get ripe. But yes, their most pressing need (other than a GM) is likely to add a young goalie.

Can someone answer this, cause I posted it in some other thread.  

IF the NHL/NHLPA decides NO for 2018, WTH happens when a player decides to go?  Can they be stopped?  With no league games, it works out fine now.  No games, no pay. If players miss NHL games for the Olympics then what?  No pay?  Paybacks to teams, etc...

I guess the 1st answer needed is:  Can a union player go against the union and play in an international competition?  If so, it's a Pandora's box from there.

C'mon @radoran..you're a lawyer.   :P

Edited by DaGreatGazoo

Can someone answer this, cause I posted it in some other thread.  

IF the NHL/NHLPA decides NO for 2018, WTH happens when a player decides to go?  Can they be stopped?  With no league games, it works out fine now.  No games, no play. If players miss NHL games for the Olympics then what?  No pay?  Paybacks to teams, etc...

I guess the 1st answer needed is:  Can a union player go against the union and play in an international competition?  If so, it's a Pandora's box from there.

C'mon @radoran..you're a lawyer.   :P

I am not a law-talking-guy and I don't play one on teh teevee. :ph34r:

Players are under contract. At the Very Least a team could dock the pay for games missed. I would imagine - again, not a law-talking-guy - that they could also suspend the player.

I have to believe insurance is a huge issue here - the contracts are insured for injuries sustained during league play. Does that carry over for injuries sustained outside of league play? Insurance has also been an issue for discussion WRT extending NHL Olympic participation in general.

I am also, too, not an insurance salesman.

Good point, does it now?  ALA, Tavares, etc....

Yes, they were insured for their injuries. From what I have heard, the rising costs of the insurance is a real challenge for the NHL players and their respective countries' programs.

@ruxpin

i was putting that out there as a joke but they guy is so predictably inept  that @yave1964 picked up the ball and was like sure, i've seen it before, he'll definitely make a move for a goalie and then gave sound reasoning as to why and perhaps how he will make this move.

Has Garth Snow reached the "tyson zone" of general managing where there is nothing he will do that will surprise anyone anymore ? 

@ruxpin

i was putting that out there as a joke but they guy is so predictably inept  that @yave1964 picked up the ball and was like sure, i've seen it before, he'll definitely make a move for a goalie and then gave sound reasoning as to why and perhaps how he will make this move.

Has Garth Snow reached the "tyson zone" of general managing where there is nothing he will do that will surprise anyone anymore ? 

How did i miss the sarcasm?? Arghhh!!! Apparently my irony gland was misfiring that day...

How did i miss the sarcasm?? Arghhh!!! Apparently my irony gland was misfiring that day...

LOL

actually i think it is because Garth has that team so fouled up , he actually needs a goalie, 

Also because he's done such amazingly unorthodox some would say inept, things in his tenure that he's reached a zone where , lose my best forward , i'll trade for a goalie isn't out of the realm of possibilities of him.

i meant to cast no aspersions on you whatsoever .