Canada vs USA reaction....

jammer2

Embarrassing display by US hockey. (both teams). To dominate as much as they did the entire tournament and then not show up in the slightest against Canada is a disgrace. Canada, particularly this year’s team, is not unbeatable. Canada is 100% in the U.S.’s heads.I'm still angry about it and I don't even care that much about Olympic hockey.

Embarrassing display by US hockey. (both teams). To dominate as much as they did the entire tournament and then not show up in the slightest against Canada is a disgrace. Canada, particularly this year’s team, is not unbeatable. Canada is 100% in the U.S.’s heads.I'm still angry about it and I don't even care that much about Olympic hockey.

The real embarrassment was getting waxed 5-0 to Finland.   I don't think its so much Canada being in the US's heads as much as it is Canada being a superior team. Canada much like 2010, got better as the tournament progressed.  The US clearly regressed offensively after the Czech game and the wheels fell completely off in the bronze medal game.   I admit after beating Russia my expectations of the US changed that they almost certainly should medal.   But after looking at it in retrospect they played in the weakest group.   Slovakia was terrible,  Russia was a total fugaze (and the US barely won), and Slovenia is, well Slovenia.   Then they play an anciet Czech team in the quarterfinals.   They had the path of least resistence to the semis and they simply were not ready to play the stiffer competition.  Disappointing given their start in the tournament but realistic if you are honest about what the US team is. 

The real embarrassment was getting waxed 5-0 to Finland.   I don't think its so much Canada being in the US's heads as much as it is Canada being a superior team. Canada much like 2010, got better as the tournament progressed.  The US clearly regressed offensively after the Czech game and the wheels fell completely off in the bronze medal game.   I admit after beating Russia my expectations of the US changed that they almost certainly should medal.   But after looking at it in retrospect they played in the weakest group.   Slovakia was terrible,  Russia was a total fugaze (and the US barely won), and Slovenia is, well Slovenia.   Then they play an anciet Czech team in the quarterfinals.   They had the path of least resistence to the semis and they simply were not ready to play the stiffer competition.  Disappointing given their start in the tournament but realistic if you are honest about what the US team is. 

I'm equally annoyed about both games. They didn't show up to either one. Totally outclassed in both games and it didn't have to be that way.

The real embarrassment was getting waxed 5-0 to Finland. I don't think its so much Canada being in the US's heads as much as it is Canada being a superior team. Canada much like 2010, got better as the tournament progressed. The US clearly regressed offensively after the Czech game and the wheels fell completely off in the bronze medal game. I admit after beating Russia my expectations of the US changed that they almost certainly should medal. But after looking at it in retrospect they played in the weakest group. Slovakia was terrible, Russia was a total fugaze (and the US barely won), and Slovenia is, well Slovenia. Then they play an anciet Czech team in the quarterfinals. They had the path of least resistence to the semis and they simply were not ready to play the stiffer competition. Disappointing given their start in the tournament but realistic if you are honest about what the US team is.

What the US team WAS was a group of hard working, bash you into the boards, win because we out work you kind if players. They had the intensity and grit to beat ANYBODY in the Olympic tournament. Just because they didn't have a Crosby or Teows in the lineup didn't mean they weren't a great squad. If you look at the roster you get few oooh's and aaah's but they were a dominating force most of the time out of pure heart if nothing else. I think they played great every game but Finland. And I think you take Benn's redirection away and they could still be playing Canada.

I'm proud of how our boys played in Sochi. The Finland game was a disappointment but those guys busted their humps and fell one goal short of a goal medal game in my eyes. They were better against Canada than Sweden, and for that game I salute them. The Canada / US game really was for the gold it would seem. I don't think Sweden beats us if we get that redirection instead of Canada.

I think in the end, Canada being grouped with Norway, Austria and Latvia gave them the tune-ups they needed to consistently get better. Austria was admittedly crap, but Norway was a very decent team, and laugh if you want, but if Latvia would have beat Canada, they could have got a medal, and maybe even a Gold. I have the utmost respect for Latvia and its players, hearts of warriors those guys. I'd say the US gave us the toughest game, but Latvia was a close second. All those close games let Canada get used to tight games, so when the games started to really matter, we were used to the tension of a really close battle.

The poise of the defense is what set this team apart. That and the awesome goaltending of Price. He made the big saves when he had to. In the two weeks before the Olympics, he had a .967 SV% with 2 shutouts and 6 wins. He went into the Olympics on a great roll. The Eastern Conference better watch out, cause if he keeps this up, the Habs will be real tough to beat come April.

@jammer2

I was glad the latvia game was close...and the US one after the fact. I'm sure it helped keep the team focussed.

Price is a very good goalie. But what he has in front of him in Montreal does not spell playoff success IMO. Ya he could steal a round but he needs help from his teammates to go far and they just aren't built for playoff hockey.

@flyercanuck  I agree fc. Price alone is good enough to steal a round, or two....but it will take unexpected goals from the Habs org to keep them afloat beyond the first couple rounds....and frankly, I don't see where the goals will come from. Price historically has not been stellar in the Stanley Cup playoffs, his best year was 2010 taking them to the Conference finals, where R.J Umberger single handedly destroyed him.

Congratulations to both Canadian hockey teams ... both teams wanted the gold and did what they had to do to get it.

On the womens' side ... the US had a good team, but the Canadians showed, in both games, what it took.  How else can I call coming back from two goals down in the third period?

On the mens' side ... Latvia gave the Canadians a good scare, but Canada held on and then took care of business against the Swedes.

@flyercanuck Off topic, but what goes on up there in Barrie....WOW....a 96 car crash up???  WTF!?!?  We had a deadly one here about 15 years ago on the 401....that was 30+, I can't even imagine 96...fog caused ours, what was the cause, hopefully you don't know anyone in that mess???

@flyercanuck  That's to bad, I will never forget the foggy Septemeber morning our 401 crash happened, you literally could not see a foot in front of you, a truck jack-knifed across the 401 and everyone just ploughed into him, it was a real fiery inferno....lot's of deaths as I recall.