Canada vs Sweden: The Gold Medal Game

jammer2

Ok, which team do you like in this game and why?  Which goalie will have the better outing?  Who will win the MVP award?  What will the final score be....my best guesses...

Canada 4  Sweden 3

This will be a hard fought war, with the winner coming in the last 2 minutes. Canada has goals from Nash, Crosby, Pietrangelo and Carter. Sweden gets 2 from Loui Ericksson (one on a penalty shot) and one from Oliver Ekman-Larsson. Karlsson will assist on both of Loui's goals.

Canada will outshout Sweden 39-30. Price will make several outstanding stops, but Lundy outplays him a losing effort. Carter gets the MVP by potting the game winner with 1:33 left in the 3rd.

TSN story on the upcoming clash. Funny, how TSN uses my exact word to describe Price's play against the USA...stellar. Maybe it's just not me that thinks he was outstanding. He stopped the goalmouth scramble in the 1st minute, but besides that, he stopped many point blank shots, and his rebound control was remarkable.

This game features the past 3 Gold Medal winners..

Canada 2002....Salt Lake

Sweden 2006....Torino

Vancouver 2010...Vancouver

Sochi 2014...???

As a Canadian living in Sweden it is very different watching these Olympic games with BBC coverage internet coverage. First of all, you get a much different perspective of the game from the broadcasters, but then there is the fact that your living in the country who you are going head  to head with in the Final. Another thing that makes it interesting is that ALL the North American highlights pre game talks, post game talks and other news coverage is blocked. So this is my prediction with no other bias opinions other than my own Canadian bias. 

Both teams look like they should be exactly where they are.  Sweden seems to have much more consistent control in the offensive end where they continue to do an awesome job of cycling the puck. 

Canada's D is big, solid and intimidating in more ways than one. They are acting as the teams 4th forward player which has made a huge difference in the past olympic games but I am afraid it wont be enough in the final. 

If Canada wants to win they must show a better performance from their offensive core. Kunitz needs to finish some of Crosby's work and the rest of the offence cant rely on their D to put up all the points tonight.

As for goaltenders, both sides have great goaltending.. I have no doubt they will both be at the top of their games and keep this a low scoring game. 

Prediction, 

2-1 Canada

Both the refs and both the linesmen for the Gold Medal game are Canadian, which has Peter Forsberg all riled up.  Figures, Peter can't be in the Olympics...and the lack of attention he is getting must be a crushing blow to him.....ENTER....the controversial statement....atta boy Peter!!

http://www.canada.com/olympics/news/peter-forsberg-calls-four-canadian-officials-in-gold-medal-game-a-fing-joke

I don't want to question the integrity of any officials or the IOC (although absolute power will inevitably bring absolute corruptness), especially not knowing them on a personal level...but the IOC *should* have switched this up a bit. One ref and one linesmen from Canada would be ok...but all 4??  I don't think there is/was any shady business in how the games have been called, I believe any of the misses were simply inept refs....not people who have taken bribe money to throw games. The IOC should have sent a different officiating crew.

It's quite possible having 4 Canadian officials will haunt Team Canada. The refs, already knowing the world will be watching for any kind of favourable Canada call, may let Sweden get away with to much....in an attempt to appear impartial. We shall see, but IOC...if you want the appearance of fairness, put in on ice officials from non involved countries.

The last thing I wanna read about or see is Swedish officals/players/fans all saying they were robbed by the Canadian officiating team. Let the whining commence......!!

One specific element of the game, namely forechecking should and probably will be ramped up. My theory goes, Sweden's best player is defesemen Eric Karlsson. The more they forecheck, the more they keep the ever dangerous Karlsson boxed in his own zone, thus no threats to join the rush or jumping into the offensive zone to create mismatches.

The biggest key to this game will be the powerplays. Now more than ever, the Canadians *must* keep their cool and control their emotions. The Swedes are scoring at a 38.6% clip with the man advantage, so if you take 4 minor penalties....there could be a few goals to make up. Aggressive but contained and controlled should be phrase of the day for Canada. Canada is a paltry 1 for 15 on the pp, so we have the top pp team and the very worst power play in the Gold Medal Final. 

Honestly I think Canada over praises Price all the time, and TSN doing it (again) is no surprise. Your team has given up three goals in 6 games is it? That's "stellar" defense in my eyes. No odd man breaks, no rebounds, no breakaways... Just great defense. Sorry Jam I know you're supporting the kid, but he's a prime example of what an average goalie can do behind world class defense. The second & third periods of the game vs. USA he didn't have to move.

Today's game he's looked his usual shaky self. Your squad seemed to be dominating the start of the game but a little more than the second half of the period I felt the momentum shifted to Sweden. Price was scrambling and couldn't track the puck well, but your defense isn't stifling like it was the last game. I wish I could stay up to watch, but I'm falling asleep in my chair. Night night!

@Polaris922

Disagree. I mean I agree about the great D...but Price has been very good. NO bad goals...period. That's huge (as Pens and Flyer fans well know). I'm not calling him the MVP (that should go to the entire Canadian D) but he's been solid and very cool. That's exactly what we wanted out of our goaltending.

@Polaris922

Disagree. I mean I agree about the great D...but Price has been very good. NO bad goals...period. That's huge (as Pens and Flyer fans well know). I'm not calling him the MVP (that should go to the entire Canadian D) but he's been solid and very cool. That's exactly what we wanted out of our goaltending.

Exactly fc, Price has been very solid!  He's making all the stops, point blankers, tips, deflections....showing superior speed and a very active glove hand. You don't go the whole Semi final game, 2.5 periods in the final and 3 goals in 5 games without making some HUGE game altering saves. He deserves a lot of the credit, but I suspect a lot of people will think like Pols...which is unfortunate.

Great game by Canada both offensively and defensively.  Well deserved.

Funny note.  In the handshake like, PK Suban was in full uniform, pads and skates.   Wonder if he sat in the dressing room all game all dressed up watching the game.

@nossagog  It was kinda funny, during the pre-game Kelly Hrudey took some heat for calling this years Team Canada defense the best ever. He was quickly reminded the 76 series featured Bobby Orr, Larry Robinson, Serge Savard, Guy Lapointe, Denis Potvin and Brad Park. Everyone a Hall of Famer. As good as this team was, I don't see MEV or Bouwmeester in the HOF. The names may not be so big and famous, but this years team had to play at *least* as well as the 76 team laden with superstars. Just having the luxury of throwing Weber out there with Duncan Kieth is a mindboggling proposition to begin with. They could afford to play them together due to the other pairs having virtually no weakness....those 2 would be split up on any other team.

Drew Doughty was simply amazing. He has this awesome ability to make everything look so easy. Being a star is second nature to this kid. His game kind of has this natural flow to it, like he could make any play with his eyes closed. A true virtuoso in every respect.

I would like to thank Rick for his bunk predictions!  There is only 5 for sure things in this world

1) Taxes

2) Death

3) The sun rising in the East

4) Mike Green sucks at defense

5) Rick gets ALL his predictions wrong

Great game by Canada both offensively and defensively.  Well deserved.

Funny note.  In the handshake like, PK Suban was in full uniform, pads and skates.   Wonder if he sat in the dressing room all game all dressed up watching the game.

@nossagog  He must have been sitting there with the uni on all along!!  Might as well, you know you have to go out on the ice to accept some kind of medal, makes sense.

I'm pretty sure all the Canadian players were in uniform and on the ice at the end of the game except Tavares.

@hf101,

I'm looking for a video of Mike Babcock's post game presser.  He wasn't very happy with one of the questions that was either about the low offensive output or playing a defensive system. He held up a stat sheet and said...“Does anybody know who won the scoring race? Does anybody care? Does anybody know who won the gold medal? See you guys." He got up and left.

Price had that look about him since the Latvia game. I saw that look in 07 ( I think ) when he was a Hamilton Bulldog the Bears were flying high under Boudreau and Price shut them out and won in 5 dispiriting games. It just seemed there was no where to shoot against him... If he stays hot look out East.